The loneliest number

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you tell us why B/F would say one is ok but not 2?

A bigger cage costs a little more but it's a once-only cost, and an obligation if you want to have a happy healthy rat or ratties. You shouldn't try to save space by keeping 1 in a smaller cage than you'd keep 2 because without company a single one would need as much space for more hammocks or toys or hidey-houses or whatever than they'd need having a friend to entertain them even.

2 don't cost any more to feed than one does. I don't know what you intend to feed it/them but if b/f isn't wanting the best for it as far as a friend rather than a lonely life I doubt he's researching and buying lab-block tenderloin.
They don't eat a lot, far as veggies would you miss 2 baby carrots and a couple sprigs of broccoli or a 1/2 cup of salad? How many times do you toss a corn-on-the-cob that still has a bunch of corn on it? and the end of the salad or rice or pasta or fish or chicken or whatever that you'd toss in the garbage cause it's plate left-overs or not enough for a night-snack could be a couple nights addition to their meal (good thing to rinse it a moment under some cold water if you've put salty or sugary sauces on it). I'm not recommending giving them the cast-offs (I buy corn-on-the-cob only for them cause I don't eat it but it's their fave :heart: )and certainly never the food that is not fresh enough for your mouth - I'm just making the point that the little that 2 would eat might equal what went in your garbage otherwise cause it's not enough for even one person to do anything with.. So whatever you spend on food for them equals out in money they saved you by not throwing itty-bits of stuff away.

If he's concerned about smell or allergies get girls. I've never found boys to smell more but some people have suggested girls smell less. Fact is that rats clean more often than cats and any smell is not from them but their environment which is up to you. (I'm sure with all his research he's come across that, eh?)

Neediness - 1 rat is gonna need twice as much time-out-of-cage and attention and interacting with you as 2 will. How long could b/f be ok cooped up in your place all alone compared to with your company?

Going away. If you go away and need someone to babysit then they're not going to find 1 any different than 2, except that if they are good with feeding but not cuddling then better 2 have each other than be hanging off the door begging for company.

What did I miss? Oh yeah - Vet bills. He's got a point there. Vets aren't cheap, so if you have 2 then the possiblity of someone needing a vet a some point increases, but when you consider that rats are more prone to get respiratory problems when they are under stress, then having 2 communal inquisitive playful critters to get each other exercising and having fun and comforting each other means you also lessen your chances of needing a vet because of illness from loneliness or unhappiness or boredom..

I'm actually one of the dissenters that says that a rat can have a happy - even happier - life living alone. But noway nohow would I suggest that it's fine to take a lone one and not offer him the chance to have a friend when it is their nature to be communal. I'm a hermit from my species by choice, but I'm an anomaly who is actally happier that way, most people wouldn't be. I don't expect your b/f would be happy with being locked in the apartment and living alone forever and never have another human to interact with. Neither of us should do that to another living breathing thing either unless it's shown that it also is one of the exceptions to the rule and prefers it.

So, does your b/f have some reason to lessen a life rather than take it in and enhance it that I've missed here? I'm not being snotty, just confused & curious cause I can't figure it out and your post doesn't say why.....
But just like you I've learned what I've learned by researching and listening and comparing stuff that disagrees with each other, and I'm wanting to hear his reasons.

Also, if you have 2 then you don't have to disagree over a name, you can both name one! :happydance:

I think that three rats is a minimum number. With two, the alpha can pick on the submissive one too much. With three rats there are three relationships and they seem to be happier.

As for web sites, there is a really great one by a vet. It's entitled "Rats make good pets, not just science experiments" or something like that. I will try to find the link (am not at home right now, so have no access to my Favorites). ETA: Found it! http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1018

Some men can take a while to come around to the idea of rats. My husband is a classic example. It took me a whole year to convince him that it would be OK for me to try 2-4 rats. He didn't like rats and didn't want them in our house. He then said that he'd prefer me to keep the door to their room closed so that he would not have to have anything to do with them.

Within a week he was feeding them treats. He still didn't think they were cute. Fast forward 1 1/2 years.... he was making them porridge once a week, patting them & talking to them. Now, just past the two year mark, he gives them meds/food/water when I go away for a few days. He grieves when one dies, worries when one gets sick. He picks them up, stops in to visit them several times in an evening, calls me at work if he notices anything amiss with their health. He even sometimes helps fold their voluminous piles of laundry! He rarely comments any more on how much I spend on them. This, despite the fact that they are messier than I could ever have dreamed (he hates mess) and despite the fact that my first rat bit him quite hard (I'd told him that pet rats didn't bite!!).

So there is hope! Don't give up. Keep showing him cute photos. Once your boyfriend realizes that you are serious, that this isn't a passing fancy, he will have to make up his mind: if he wants you in his life, he'd better get used to the idea of pet rats.

ETA: another web site of interest: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/careofra ... aspets.htm and
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/careofra ... aspets.htm

i was a in the same condition a bit... bought slava then realized how lonely he was :sad3:
sooooooo i got another little guy! i took slava to the pet store where i got him, and was lucky to get another one about the same age and takeover the puppy room for an hour to make sure they got along. well, they did, and i've never, ever seen slava happier!! and sasha's just amazing, although he's a bit more sky and skidish. i would agree on the comment about the dominant rat--round my place, that's def. slava, but i've been finding that sasha's starting to make his place as well about the cage and in the house :joy: i think it just took him some time to get used to us!! PLUS i don't feel so guilty if i need to be away from them for 10ish hours because they enjoy eachother's company, and then when they get out, if they want to spend time by themselves they can or they can play around.
about the bf, my mama reacted the same way when i told her i had two rats; she was not too happy. it's hard to understand, though, the social aspect unless you've really seen the way that rats interact with eachother. PLUS they are easier to take care of, and food costs really aren't much increased---lab blocks and little bits of fruits and veggies (generally whatever i'm eating, and they LOVE spaghetti noodles). two rats, also = double the love! :heart: :heart:

Back