The loneliest number

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaye

Hello all,
I am very interested in getting my very own pet rat. But there are a few things I wanted to clarify before planning for the event.

I would not be able to bring a pet rat home for about 6 months to a year. Trying to get all my ducks in a row (and convince my friend/roommate/land lord to allow it)

I love animals with a passion. Growing up I have always had some type of pet; Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Birds, Fish, Lizards, Rabbits, Snake, and for a very short period of time I had a scorpion, and then my pet Rat (Isabelle).

Unfortunatly, I bought Isabelle on a whim from a local pet store. She was sooo sweet. I fell in love with her instantly. Only problem was, I was not aware of how to properly care for her. I got some very poor information from the pet store as to the "proper care" of my pet rat.
So I brought her home thinking that she would be very similar to care for as a hamster or guinea pig would be. They helped me pick out bedding (alpine something or other), and a wire cage that came with a wheel. (and of course food and water and such) Poor Isabelle, because I trusted the pet store to give me all the information I needed I was not able to properly care for her.

When I purchased her she was young and very calm. She also had a habit of sneezing a lot. I was told by the pet store that it was normal and nothing to worry about.
:cry3: She died about 5 months later. Turns out she died from an illness. I feel awful.
It's been about 3 years since I have had any pets. *sniff sniff*

So in the intersted of not making any mistakes again and to ensure the health of my pet
I am doing a ton of research. I already know so much more now than I ever did. *cheer*
Ok so to the conclusion of my rediculous rant. I do have a question...

Is purchasing only 1 rat bad? I have read that it is better to have multiples, and I would love to have more, but I am just not sure if I can convince the roomy that it is nessesary to have 2-3. So, if I purchase only 1 what would be nessesary to keep them healthy and happy?
I'm not talking about the basic needs, But the social needs of the rat.

*apologizes for the long winded rant*

First off good for you for doing research before going out and getting a rat. Alot of people don't and its always the rat who suffers. This is also a great place to get all the info you need to keep your rattie healthy and happy.

I'm sure EVERYONE would agree with me that you should never ever keep a rat alone unless you have absolutely no other option...by this I mean if the rat is seriously agressive towards other rats...sometimes rats who are poorly bred will have agressive genes so often there isn't much that can be done for them...but this doesn't happen often and I would say a very large percent of rats do need atleast one other rat friend.

In the wild rats live in huge family groups and this group mentality if no different for pet rats. Even if you had your rat out for 12 hours a day and played with it constantly, it would not make up for the companionship of another rat. Please please do not get only one rat. I have seen rats who are alone and they become so depressed, and it doesn't just effect their menatl health but their physical health too...a rat with another rat friend will be so much happier and therefor healthier.

Rats are very much like people as far as their social needs. People need to be with other people...we are social beings...and so are rats. By depriving them of this are you basically taking away a basic need of theirs.

I often tell people one rat is harder to look after than 2 rats. This is because one rat needs so much attention and by having a friend for them they can play and groom and socialize with them. Also, humans will never beable to take the place of another rat...we can't groom the way another rat does...we can't communicate to them or create a hierarchy that is vital for rats.

I hope I have convinced you. And if your still not sure about getting 2 rats then perhaps a rat isn't the best pet for you.

And on another note...pet stores are a terrible place to purchise pets(as you already know). I would highly highly recommend rescuing from a shelter since there are so many in need and often the difference is life or death for them. :(

You will need to get at least 2 rats of the same sex.
They will need a powder coated cage with a min footprint of 30 in by 18 in and a min. of 2 cubic feet of cage space per rat.
If you read through the posts ojn this forum, you will learn a great deal about caring for ratties.
Other useful sites are www.petrats.com and www.ratfanclub.org

Great that you are doing you research before getting pets ... wish more people did that.
The people who work at pet stores rarely know anything about rats.

I would never do anything to intentionally harm or make my pets miserable or unhealthy. Like I said I would prefer to have multiples just because I love them so much. If I was able to I would get 3-4. It is just a matter of convincing my roomy to even let me have one.

I guess I will just have to wait till I can convince him of 2-3. :D

...Or move out. LOL

bruxxy I really wish that speech of yours would get through to my mother...my own GGMR aside, I can't stand seeing Joey alone now that his brother's gone...

Caring for, housing, and feeding 2-3 rats is not that much different from having only 1. The cage is a smidge bigger, but not by much. They'll eat more food, but not massive quantities. Playing with 2+ ratties is infinitely more fun. Unfortunately, people seem to think that even 2-3 rats somehow means that they'll be taking over. Funny how something barely a pound can cause that reaction. The only issue for *you* would be the vet fund. 3+ rats do cost more in vet bills. You've got lots of time to save that up, though.

It's fantastic that you're doing your research before diving back in!

Rats absolutely should have a friend. The only exception is when a rat is aggressive towards other rats. I made alot of mistakes when I first owned rats and in the years since I have taken alot of advice from great people and done alot of reading. I have seven rats right now and taking care of them is relatively easy for me.

I hope you are able to convince the roomy and the others who need convincing!

Depending on where you live, if you ask around here, you probably won't need to buy any ratties. Read up on rat care paying attention to diet, allergies (cedar), housing needs, et.al.

If you have questions about specifics, please ask here. There are dozens of knowledgeable people here, and you'll usually get an accurate reply within a couple of hours. Rats are what we live for :heart:

Also, Welcome to the Rat Shack!

Thank you all for your comments. Any and all imput is appreciated.
I will definetly be waiting a little while before adopting any rats of my own. I'll most likely buy the habitats and other supplies long before I would expect any pets for it.

Hopefully I wont have to wait too long.

So... I was talking to my boyfriend about getting 2-3 rats as is recommended. And now he is against me having rats as a pet. I explained what you all told me and he doesn't believe that to be true. He also apparently did research and says that it is not nessesary to have more that one rat.

Would it be to much to ask that you guys help me find some good links/sites that have this information listed. He keeps telling me that the information I am finding is biased and from what he calls "rat finatics". I already looked and am not finding anything that looks non-biased.

Thank you so much in advance,

If you're looking for a webpage that isn't run/operated by a rat lover, I don't think you'll be finding what you're looking for. Has he offered links with the information he's claiming? I'd like to see a decent website that says single rats are just fine. Normally the places that say single rats are fine will also tell you that cedar and pine bedding are okay, seed mixes are fine, and that you never have to handle your rat as long as it lives. Or herp sites..

The Rat and Mouse Club of America has it listed that you should consider pairs and trios.

The American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association has a whole bit on rats needing companions.

The list goes on and on.. Do a Google for "rat care" and you'll find thousands of links to websites that say just that. Every website that offers information for the new owner will have that as part of it.

Mmm, your boyfriend doesn't sound like a reasonable person, for one, he's lying. I have yet to find a good website that claims rats are ok on their own.

http://www.ratfanclub.org/single.html

http://www.nfrs.org/company.html

http://www.curiosityrats.com/infolone.html

But those links are clearly from rat fanatics. :giggle:
If you use information from a site that is written by people that are not "into" rats, then you will not get the real information. We have spent time with rats. I've had single rats come to me and their change in attitude is incredible once you put them with buddies.
I would even say to please not get any rats at all if it means your bf will prevent you from caring for them completely and totally... because that would mean getting at least 2 rats.

jorats said:
I would even say to please not get any rats at all if it means your bf will prevent you from caring for them completely and totally... because that would mean getting at least 2 rats.

I would have to agree with Jo on this one. If he is being this way about it now just think of what he will act like when it comes time to take them to the vet for an illness.

Biased, huh? Pardon my French, but who the eff else would write a page on rat care and maintenence other than someone who enjoys having them as pets?

From a male point of view, I can empathize with what he's thinking ....taking over....vet bills....more money....later retirement....and we can't help it, we're genetically cheap. But there is also such thing as keeping your woman happy.

When Momma's not happy, nobody's happy.

The ladies here are right. They know all about rats. Be honest and open about wanting rats as pets. If that fails, threaten to get a cat, that worked on me.

Kinda agree that you need bf on board if finances and stuff are going to need negotiation with him...What about an SPCA site about rats needing friends...? (Check under Shelter)
http://www.spca.bc.ca/Kids/animalcare/ratcare.asp

Also - the link from the Ontario SPCA Animal Care Fact sheets is to the Dumb Friends League (established in 1910 in case credibility and longevity matter). Under "Small Pets" there's a "Rat" link that opens to the following PDF file - Look what it says under Behavior Bits.

http://www.ontariospca.ca/6-factsheet.shtml

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/rats.pdf

Also, vet costs for three rats is less than one dog, barring unforseen incidents (well I guess that could work either way). Food costs is indisputedly in favor of rats. Toy costs could be a draw (those would be some really spoiled rats). Cages, bedding, and other basics like grooming are heavily biased toward rats. Also most guys secretly hate cats, and can easily be acclimated to rats. Keep the cat threat until you need it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Men know we're being trained by women, it's a show of love when we let ourselves be trained. In that respect I agree that the boyfriend has to be onboard.

That dumb friends league link from Trillium is pretty good, except that they can be litterbox trained (for the poop anyway)

Rats are gonna take over your home!!!
l_7849591e8a0a1bcaabd84b8a0430fa63.jpg

Pauley said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Men know we're being trained by women, it's a show of love when we let ourselves be trained.

LOL! I know my husband would agree with you here.

If you need information from non-rat fanatics - just look at the behaviour of wild rats. They'll tell you what a domesticated rat needs. They tend to live in colonies and large families hence - they need the social company. If you look at any wild animal you should be able to tell how much company and interaction it needs (e.g. dogs typically run in packs, that's why dogs are so responsive to humans, horses are naturally herd animals, even some fish prefer swimming in schools rather than being alone...)

Animals who do not need company tend to live solitary lives until breeding season (like tigers, hamsters, bears...)

I've heard many people argue that they can be good company for a solitary rat but imagine if you were a human being, living in solitary confinement with only a dog for company - can you and the dog communicate on the same level? Can the dog sympathise with you the way another human can? Can you talk to the dog about the joys and pains of your adolescence, about your disastrous first date etc. the same way you can talk to a best friend over coffee? Probably not (though I don't doubt there are some very smart, empathetic dogs out there!). I mean physically, humans can't even hear half of the rat vocalizations so your rat could be talking to you and you can't hear it!

Back