The Hamilton Rescue

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

So, Jenn had posted on here previously about two rats in Hamilton that were abandoned. A man had taken them in so they didn't go to the pound, but had no idea how to take care of them, what they require, etc.

I went and picked up what I thought was a male, but in turn is a female. I'm not sure what her cagemate was but it had died a few weeks before.

So, the questions. She looks like she's older. She's not itchy, no bites, doesn't smell, etc. She is eating, drinking, and moving well. But, she's been scratching her eyes. They are leaky. Probably due to the stress of losing her cagemate and being moved around so much. I'm putting warm compresses on them in hopes that they get better.

What is bothering me is that I've also noticed that one of her eyes is out a bit more than the other (I know this is a sign of PT, but that is the only symptom she is showing). It does tend to go back in but it's worrying me a little.

So, she's in what looks to be great health, with the exception of the porphyrin and the eye bulging out a bit. Should I give her some Baytril until I can get her to the vet? Or not medicate her at all?

This really sucks because I've just had three of my rats to the vet in the past two weeks. The life of a rescue huh? Just have to take an extra shift next week.

A bulging eye or eyes can also mean respiratory illness. If she were mine, I'd go ahead and treat for that with Baytril. The leaky eye might be treated with the Baytril as well. If you can get your hands on polysporin ear/eye drops, I would start with that for a one week treatment, in the eye(s) twice a day. (This was recommended by my vet once)

If it's pt, there's really not much you can do. Dex, pred can prolong her life a little bit, give her back a bit of quality but the end is inevitable. If it's a bleeding pt, nothing will slow it down.

Those leaky eyes are annoying. I use polysporin ointment for eyes myself, I can't do drops on me, so I am sure I would really muck it up with the rats :roll:. I would start her on baytril just in case its a low grade infection. I would say the eye bulging for PT would show up around the same time as the extreme confusion, and difficulty grasping, etc., so my guess is PT is a negative at this point.

Pics of the wee old gal?

I've noticed that with ear infections one eye recedes, making the other look like its protruding more. Perhaps it could be this?
I hope she goes well and feels more settled soon.

LJ, thanks a million for picking [s:1jymlwz1]him[/s:1jymlwz1] HER up. The girl who originally contacted me was very concerned, and is REALLY happy you could take her, and she sends her thanks along as well.

Here are the photos of her. She's sort of a light tangerine colour. It's her right eye that pokes out a bit. You don't really notice it.

Also, I'll need help naming her.

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

lilspaz68 said:
Mamarat, if you said "mine!" I was gonna wrestle ya for her! :cheeky:

*Shelagh peers around at the cages with all the fosters...* :wink2:

Molly's a cute name :)

Need me to bring her over?

She's beautiful. I love fawns!
It looks like she's had a lot of porphyrin and it has burnt some of the fur off from away her eyes. Must have been ongoing for a long time.

Who knows how long it's been like that. She's probably never had a proper diet in her life. I am giving her Baytril in hopes that she gets better.

I've been spoiling the crap out of her too. She gets baby food, cereals, veggies, and extras every day. Gotta get those vitamins back into her. She's eating the blocks well also. So, I'm sure she'll be fine to go in with the other girls in no time. Wonder what they'll think of her? They accepted Molly very easily, so I'm hoping they'll be ok with her also.

It's hard to tell in the pics, where the eye is protruding. But if it does look like she has swelling on the side of her face, I would be concerned about a possible Zymbal gland tumor or even an infected tooth. Both can make the eye protrude. I've had several girls with PTs sadly, but I've never seen them make an eye protrude. Not to say it dosen't happen, I have just not seen it myself. I have seen it with a ZG tumor though :sad3: . They are horrid nasty things and I'll send many good thoughts this little angel does not have one. If you do see her continue to scratch at that eye, the eye protrudes more, or if you see her teeth are no longer aligned properly, I would really be concerned.

She's a lovely little prince though. Here's hoping that being in a nice new loving home, will get her better in no time.

More photos of the lovely lady. :)

She's being so spoiled. I :heart: her so much already. :heart: :heart: She's such a special lady. She's so easy to snap photos of because she loves to be with me. :joy:

Here's a front shot where you can sort of see her eye.

IMG_3494.jpg

And and a view from above.

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

She's such a characer. I've cleaned off her eyes and they are a bit burnt, but they don't seem to mind her too much now. She hasn't scratched them or anything that I've noticed today. She's getting back to normal. Doesn't look like she's hurting much anymore huh?

She looks much more comfortable, and the eye isn't looking distressing, it could just be her. Like we have one longer arm than another, etc.

May I love her from afar? :heart:

Back