Teddy - Little Old Man - RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still eating :) ..but looking older every day

Noming some fruit
IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

Cooling off on his chiller
IMG_0654.jpg

Noming some cereal
IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0658-1.jpg

Video
[youtube:19a6w4kh]dz-TikEO0s8[/youtube:19a6w4kh]

ETA: His eyes are starting to cloud now too ..poor old old man.

They do look tired when they're old, but it doesn't mean they're out of fight - just means they need a lot of naptime in between bouts of mischief.

I'll leave the ultimate call up to you, obviously, and to those who are more well-versed with oldies, but personally I'm not freaking out about his slow decline - it sounds pretty normal, all things considered (and especially considering the genetics, he's doing pretty well!)

Edited to add: Sorry, just read another part of one of your posts - Mr. Honeycomb lived to be 28 months or thereabouts, and he was the last of his brothers (they all drew a horrible genetic lot overall). So I do know what it's like to know that your rat doesn't have the greatest tools on his side for longevity.

To me, though, he doesn't look ready to go. Just check his feet for that blueish tinge that would suggest heart problems.

M0onkist said:
They do look tired when they're old, but it doesn't mean they're out of fight - just means they need a lot of naptime in between bouts of mischief.

I'll leave the ultimate call up to you, obviously, and to those who are more well-versed with oldies, but personally I'm not freaking out about his slow decline - it sounds pretty normal, all things considered (and especially considering the genetics, he's doing pretty well!)

Edited to add: Sorry, just read another part of one of your posts - Mr. Honeycomb lived to be 28 months or thereabouts, and he was the last of his brothers (they all drew a horrible genetic lot overall). So I do know what it's like to know that your rat doesn't have the greatest tools on his side for longevity.

To me, though, he doesn't look ready to go. Just check his feet for that blueish tinge that would suggest heart problems.

Oh don't worry I won't be making any decisions until he tells me so ..which are when he stops eating, or in pain.
Teddy & Toby are my oldest rats ever so this is still so scary and new to me.
I'm glad that he dose not look too bad to you guys.
He has never had a resp infection, or anything wrong with him before, so its so odd seeing him like this ..but Its just age ..something I'm not used too.

I just need to keep hearing peoples expriences with old rats. My biggest fearis that I'm doing something wrong, and thats the last thing I want to do for my rats.

Wow, I never realized how much rats age compared to humans ..I just read in my Rat Health Care book by Debbie D that Teddy is aprox 70 years old.

Think of Teddy like an old man. Some guys have a heart attack and die when they are 55, or get cancer and are really sick. Teddy is just one of those old fellas in the seniors' home, meandering around in his wheelchair, going for meals, hanging out and snoozing. The nurse (YOU!) comes in and changes his bed, cleans his dentures, puts his glasses on the side table because he's fallen asleep and they're sitting on his lap.......
It's just another phase in his life - as weird as this sounds, try and enjoy it.
(And don't forget to check his penis every day for plugs - sorry!)

That's a very good explanation of our oldies, Joanne. Every extra day is a gift. I don't think Teddy :heart: is ready either. Just enjoy him. :hugs:

Yesterday & today its been very very hard to get ensure into him, he will take other things just not ensure ..the thing he needs most..i'm going to make some baby cereal with the ensure today ..

His cubes and ensure he has stopped eating, time to mask them in yummy things he will still eat.

He has a lot less control of his back legs today ..they pretty much just drag behind him now.

He is breathing is more heavy (but no resp sounds)..you can see it in the video below

Also you can see how tired he looks, but as soon as he sees food, he is alert.

[youtube:q5g6oz1s]QnELM3Xfgvk[/youtube:q5g6oz1s]

I hope he can hold on until Dr. D. is on again, which is Thursday, Friday & Monday.

I hate making that decision, so I hope your right ..and that he will help me :heart: :(

ETA:

From previous page:
Yesterday & today its been very very hard to get ensure into him, he will take other things just not ensure ..the thing he needs most..i'm going to make some baby cereal with the ensure today ..

His cubes and ensure he has stopped eating, time to mask them in yummy things he will still eat.

He has a lot less control of his back legs today ..they pretty much just drag behind him now.

He is breathing is more heavy (but no resp sounds)..you can see it in the video below

Also you can see how tired he looks, but as soon as he sees food, he is alert.

[youtube:326bptvf]QnELM3Xfgvk[/youtube:326bptvf]

& another one of how his back legs are ..right before this video, I got him to eat 5 full syringes of ensure and a cheerio :heart:

[youtube:326bptvf]7TVmgrgJo3I[/youtube:326bptvf]

He still looks pretty good. He seems to have a really good appetite for treats and such, he probably doesn't need as much ensure. I know at that age we are tempted to spoil them more. Teddy is a beautiful old man.

Awww, sweet Teddy. He seems to love the coolness of the marble tile. Here's hoping he will just pass quietly on his own when he's ready. Give him some scritches from us!

Joanne said:
Awww, sweet Teddy. He seems to love the coolness of the marble tile. Here's hoping he will just pass quietly on his own when he's ready. Give him some scritches from us!

He LOVES that marble tile ..ever since his HED started ..I guess where he is so close to the ground now, he is warm.

I hope he passes quietly on his own as well, iv never had that happen before ..but it would be so nice for him to go that way :heart:

I'll give him lots of scritches :)

mamarat said:
He still looks pretty good. He seems to have a really good appetite for treats and such, he probably doesn't need as much ensure. I know at that age we are tempted to spoil them more. Teddy is a beautiful old man.

I thought ensure was good for them when they are older and stop eating their blocks?

I just meant that he might not take as much ensure because they mostly eat what they like the best. I noticed that with my rats as they get older they require less food.

mamarat said:
I just meant that he might not take as much ensure because they mostly eat what they like the best. I noticed that with my rats as they get older they require less food.

Oh okay! Thanks lol

Back