Teddy is bleeding from his but

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda1472

Hello, i was hoping someone could help me. I went to give my guys their fresh veggies for the nigh when i noticed Teddy had blood around his tail/bum area. I though maybe it was a scratch or slice. But with further inspection i saw that the blood was oozing out of his but. My shirt/ tissues and my hand are full of his blood. nd when i was trying to get a better look it hurt him as he squeaked. I will check on him in the morning, but the only vets open on sundays are the emergency vets, and im not sure how much they know about rats. My dad believes this may mean something bigger, i hope not since he is only 13 months old. If anyone has any advice id appreciate it.

Not a great pic but.. And it was hard to get him as he would scream and run, and i was getting him around his chest, tummy area...
100_4054_zps59b2a0b7.jpg

Can you tell if it is definitely coming from his anus? When you aren't handling him, how is he acting? If you offer him very tasty food, will he take it?

Are the boys fighting? IT is really hard to say with bleeding. If it doesnt stop by morning he will need to see a vet. Bleeding can take them in a few hours it can be something bad internally. It is just very hard to say.

Can't see the picture (my pc's fault), doesn't matter, theres no minor explanation for that that i can think of.. It sounds very serious. Apart from a vet the best you can do is comfort him and give him pleasure. Do you have any chocolate? peanut butter? Teddy needs LOTS of spoiling right now, and you need to hug him the most he allows for your own sake.

You're not alone, Amanda, hearts & hopes are with you & Teddy. You just be with Teddy, and as I say, give him all the pleasure you can. Meaning treats plus!

Poor lad, bleeding from the anus is not a good thing at all.

He will need to see a good vet on Monday unless it miraculously goes away. But in the meantime you can offer him foods with high iron to prevent anemia,and Vitamin K to help clotting...I think the dark leafy veggies have both of these but do a google search to make sure.

And keep him as warm, comfortable (no ibu as that will worsen the bleed) as you can. :(

He did not act like him self last night, and the few times i picked him up he would squeak and run, and when i tried and check it, he would squirm and squeak. And its defiantly coming from his anus. I didnt want to jump and post without being sure. It was literally ozzing out. He did eat the fresh food i gave him (corn, kale, carrots and and four small grapes) thank god. But i is not bleeding anymore, though there blood allover the litter and hammocks. He still acts uncomfortable when i pick him up (stiff, tries to get away) but he didnt squeak this time. And by not acting him self i mean he is usually running around, and usually (99.9%0 of the time flips his igloo to the bottom floor, and flips his food bowl too (-.-) which means i have to pick up everyone to put back. He is separate from the other two now, not sure if they should all be together. But im sure they are not fighting. Teddy did slow down a tiny bit from before, so he is slowly settling down and not being so much of a bully anymore. Ill talk to my parents and see what they think. But im guessing its a vet appointment time. But at least he is looking a little better from last night. (He usually runs to see me at the door) but just laid there. But after i didd put him back,he did smells my fingers before wandering off back to his hammocks.

Thank you guys

The bright red might indicate that it's not deep. But regardless, he should be on antibiotics because it's a bad spot for a cut.

I am sorry that Teddy is having a hard time. I guess the only bright spot is that if he had a big problem with his intestines, he would probably be refusing food. So if he's eating, that's a good sign. Even if the bleeding stops, I would still have him checked by the vet...

Its also a good sign that it is red blood. If it was further up the digestive tract (like in the small intestine) the blood coming from the anus would be digested and therefore much darker (dark red/maroon/black). Since it is red blood, and he is eating, it is likely that whatever is wrong is closer to the end of the large intestine/colon.

I hope he feels better soon!

He is pretty much back to normal (he knocked his food bowl and is saying hi to me) but not 100% yet. And i will talk to the vet i do co-op at and see what he thinks. Thanks everyone.

Could he have gotten a little nick just inside the anus, possibly from being groomed or during play? It may be a small cut just inside the fold of skin where you can't see it, but given it is mucus membrane type tissue, can tend to bleed considerably. How is he doing today? It's possible it could be a polyp, unless he ate something hard or sharp that didn't pass through easily without creating a bit of a cut. Does his tummy feel tender if you prod it a little?

Let us know what the vet had to say; I hope your little fellow is feeling better and that the bleeding has stopped.

He had stopped bleeding by the time i had woken up. And his stomach if fine, he didnt seem in pain when i touched him there. And he is back to being him self (his usually bully ways XD) i now must be picking up his igloo and foo bowl every morning. Thanks everyone. Im gonna keep an eye on him and talk to the vet when i go in for co-op tomorrow, but for now i think he will be okay.

Back