Tanner and his internal mass - RIP my sweet boy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to the vet tonight.

Tanner's mass is now huge - a big round golf ball (not quite, but almost) sticking out of his abdomen. :sad3: It grew quite fast in the last few days, and now that it is actually poking out, I was wondering - should I try warm compresses and try to bring that monster to a head, or would it be too dangerous since the abcess is so deep inside his abdomen?

My vet is on vacation (of course) so I am seeing the vet that actually operated on him for most of the 2.5 hours the last time - she knows his case very intimately. I will ask her for a fine needle aspiration to confirm this really is another abcess, and then to drain it, if at all possible. I know I would commit myself to hydrotherapy for weeks and months to come, I know I am actually on vacation starting next week and this would be a turn off for lots of activities, but Tanner's life and comfort is worth spending my vacations rinsing that hole and helping him heal.

My only other option is to ask for an estimate to an exploratory surgery - open him up, see if it's as bad as last time and either remove or euthanize, if the surgery is too life threatening. :(

I don't even know if I will bring him home with me tonight, it all depends on what Dr Saulnier says. Tanner is still happy, fighting with the others, eating very well, running around the rat room... but the hair on his head tell me he is in pain. My poor one year-old baby, you deserved so much better than this... :sad3:

Please send us good vibes for the best outcome possible for him. I am not ready to let him go because he is so happy still, but I cannot stand to see him like this either... and tonight, I will be bringing Cabotine's body along for cremation. It would be like losing 2 at once...

OK... just read through Tonka's thread and made a note of abs that you used and of the antibiotic beads. Now all I can do is see what the vet has to offer and see if I can work those ideas into her.

She's not my vet and she's not as experienced either, but I do trust her. I know she is a fabulous surgeon for sure, she proved it with Tanner's last surgery. Now all I can do is wait and see - leaving the office in 20 minutes to catch the train and make it to the appointment (if traffic lets me).

Back from the vet (obviously)

Status Quo. Nothing has changed. :( Dr Saulnier felt him long and through, and when she gasped in surprise, I fell my heart sink a little.

Rightfully so.

It appears that the abcess bulging out of his abdomen is actually a second abcess. :sad3: Those abcesses are taking most of his abdominal cavity and Dr Saulnier said she was surprised Tanner was acting so normal. And it's true - by looking at him, you would never guess what shape he really is in. He looks and acts like a completely healthy rat, except he's walking with his back arched more than normal. After she felt him for over 5 minutes, he actually started grooming, giving her hand an occasional lick.

It is now official that a removal surgery would be too rough on him - she thinks the deeper abcess might actually be attached to his intestines. :sad3: The best we could do is drain the one on top, but that would have to be done surgically and the benefits really are not worth the risks. Tanner will be put to sleep when he stops enjoying life, that's the only option left. My poor baby is only one year old!!! :cry4:

<3 I'm so sorry darling. It's not fair to such a happy and joyous little munchkin. But you know that you've done the best for him always and you know he appreciates it. You'll know the time and you'll both be at peace with it.

Give him lots of love and kisses, not like you don't already!

I am sorry what on earth is causing them? I would almost risk it rather than not risk it. When you get to the point that is the only choice left.

I am going through a similar thing with cobweb very ill, and only a year old. I can accept the older ones but not the ones that are just a year old. Hugs to you.

hopefloats said:
I am sorry what on earth is causing them? I would almost risk it rather than not risk it. When you get to the point that is the only choice left.

I am going through a similar thing with cobweb very ill, and only a year old. I can accept the older ones but not the ones that are just a year old. Hugs to you.

I won't risk it as last surgery lasted 2,5 hours and it's a miracle he made it out alive. This one would be even worst, and if the abcess really is attached to the intestines, the tiniest perforation means the end of him.

Hugs back to you for Cobweb... I've been reading your thread today :sad3: Life can be so unfair...

So marsupialization was not an option? The surgery itself would be relatively minor and it would keep the abscess draining. They do it for cysts to help eliminate them, but in this case, it might be worth a try...
From Wikipedia:
"Marsupialization is the surgical technique of cutting a slit into a cyst and suturing the edges of the slit to form a continuous surface from the exterior surface to the interior of the cyst. Sutured in this fashion, the cyst remains open and can drain freely. This technique is used to treat a cyst when a single draining would not be effective and complete removal of the surrounding structure would not be desirable."

Not really an option. The deeper one really is deep inside him, and the pus is very, very thick. Wouldn't drain much. Could have been done on the top one, but considering how big the untouchable one is already... :sigh:

I am only brainstorming here and I have NO idea if this is even possible or a good idea, but how about injecting the abscesses with antibiotics? Would that help? (Again... no medical training here whatsoever...)

Back