Tanner and his internal mass - RIP my sweet boy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unepuce

As some of you know, last summer I adopted two boys from Ninjaratmama, my lovely and popcorning Tanner and Hunter. :heart:

A few months ago, I took Tanner to the vet to treat an abcess in his groin (felt like one of his torpedo was trying to grow back!) and during the exam, my vet felt a mass in his abdomen. We decided that since he was to be treated for the other abcess anyway, we would see if the abs did anything to the internal mass first, and reevaluate if it didn't. Sooo - Tanner got on a round of abs, and after a little over a week, I could feel the mass was a little smaller. What a relief! He got 2 rounds of abs, but the mass started growing again and Tanner was getting more and more uncomfortable, so back to the vet we went on Friday.

Not the most happy vet visit, I have to say. I had taken along my two remaining piggies, as I got paranoid since losing my Mira last Saturday - Charlie is now on abs for respiratory and digestive issues, and Maya is on abs for a urinary tract infection that seems to have gotten one of her kidneys - and Tanner is now facing surgery.

Without an ultrasound, my vet cannot really figure out what organe the "tumour" is attached too nor how it is attached, and cannot do an aspiration to see whether it is benign or not, so the choice was basically to leaving things as is until Tanner is too uncomfortable and we have to PTS him, or performing an exploratory surgery and decide on the spot whether the tumour is removable or not (understand, PTS).

This kills me! Hunter and Tanner are two little rays of sunshine - they love us, they love playing with us, they run all over the place, popcorning and playfighting together... they LOVE each other. I just cannot bear the thought of losing one and leaving the other lost without his brother! :cry4: Of course we are going with the option that gives him the most chances... but it is also the one that might take him away sooner. I am heartbroken. My boys will be one year old on June 18... this is way too young to be facing this.

His surgery is planned on this coming Thursday, at 1:30 pm. Please, please, PLEASE send good vibes to my boy... none of us here is ready to lose him! :sad3:

Here are some pictures to convince you...

Both baby brothers, the day I picked them up :heart:

"Hey mom Megan, are you there?"

They do everything together

Tanner happily sleeping with Chester (my two blonds)

Both brothers grooming their alpha Lili (RIP)

Hugh!

Tanner all comfy in a corner hammock by Petunia :heart:

Cute little boy

A usual sight (but usually, Hunter is on top!)

Brotherly love

See the discomfort? :sad3:

Please, please, please... let him get through this OK!!! :praying:

Ohh... I really hated reading this update :(
Will be thinking of him ALL week & all of us; his brothers, sister, aunts, & his mama especially are all sending good vibes & thoughts your way. You can pull through this Tanner! Hunter & your whole crew including your mom & dad need you, buddy.
I am hoping that the vet will be able to remove whatever the heck is in there!

So sorry you're dealing with this, Nancy. :hugs: Everything will be okay.

Poor guy, he looks a bit upset in the last one. I have a boy going in for a neuter we can worry together!

Oh my... that poor sweet thing. I'd go with the exploratory surgery. Even if it can't be removed he maybe be able to remove a portion making him more comfortable, longer.
Sending you, Tanner and the piggies lots of healing vibes.

jorats said:
Oh my... that poor sweet thing. I'd go with the exploratory surgery. Even if it can't be removed he maybe be able to remove a portion making him more comfortable, longer.
Sending you, Tanner and the piggies lots of healing vibes.

You can add Cookie, Princesse and Cabotine to the list... right now, I only have Hunter and Chester who are treatment free...

Unepuce said:
You want to laugh, Victoria? At some point, I was considering asking you whether I should take him to Dr Brieger...

I know Dr. Beaulieu is your preferred vet and she is VERY good, but I do believe Dr. Brieger is better at thinking outside the box. He just had a baby last week though and is away until May 6th :( Exploratory surgery does sound like the best option though... he's neutered, so I think that completely rules out testicular cancer. I hope it's a really well encapsulated abscess or something...

Thank you everyone. Tanner and I really appreciate the support. :hugs:

I feel a little abrupt since that vet appointment. I lost Mira post-surgery last week, and with 4 rats out of 6 on meds, 2 piggies on meds as well, including one that is starting to act like his mother Mira (no eating, no drinking = :panic:) I believe this is enough on its own. At least, those are issues I can do something about, or at least try my best to help, but Tanner... everything is completely out of my hands. I know nothing. Pitch black. I feel completely useless. I wish I could do like in the Green Mile - just aspirate that evil and spit it out somewhere else.

But in the meantine, I'll be showering my boys with love and special out time and hope for the best for Thursday

Poor Charlie :( Danai is still having GI issues since her surgery, it's brutal. Sick rats are nothing compared to having to medicating and force feeding a herbivore.

Everything is now completely out of my hands...

I dropped Tanner and Hunter at the vet tonight - Tanner's surgery is scheduled at 1:30 pm tomorrow. I told the Great One above that Tanner was coming back home safe and that it was non negociable... we'll see what happens. :nervous wreck:

You are doing the right thing Nancy. If he's showing signs of discomfort already, there;s no watch and wait option. The fact that you are doing it quickly may mean it will be smaller and easier to get out. I have all my fingers crossed for your lovely, expressive, sweet boy. :heart:

Back