Tabitha:Update: Sept 28, 2015

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My little Franken-rat is doing well. She always has a positive attitude. :)
The incision that ended up being glued after the staples were removed is healing well. Her other site with the suture reaction has shrunk, although it is still quite prominent. She is on antibiotics for a couple of weeks for that spot. If things flare up after the ABs are finished, then the site will have to be opened up and the sutures removed. We are headed in the right direction though!
She still has a scab from a chemical burn from injections (not sure which drug but I am still suspicious of the Baytril even though it was diluted) but hopefully that will come off within the week.
She looks like hell and HATES her meds, but is still the sweetest rattie evah! :heart:

Poor little girl is such a trooper. Those stitch infection can be brutal - Clark had it with his neuter. Looks like she is on her way to healing.. :flowers:

All snuggled up this morning in her bed :heart:
I hated to drag her out for her meds.

image.jpg

Well, my lovely Tabi was in for another tumour removal last week. We wanted to avoid a repeat of her last surgeries, so my vet decided to close her incision with internal resorbable sutures and glue. Unfortunately, it is the resorbable sutures that she has a problem with. After a week of healing time, she looked horrendous because she was trying to chew the internal sutures out! I brought her in to have the sutures removed, the incision resected, and sutured with normal external stitches. It looked SO much better when I picked her up. Hopefully she will leave it alone so it can heal.
The incision a week after surgery:

image.jpg

Tabi says thanks!
Those internal sutures must be itchy or burning or something because she can't leave them alone. She doesn't chew herself with the regular sutures. I will be more cognizant of that in the future with my other rats too.

Well, my little Miss Tabitha is listing to starboard. I don't know if she had a mild stroke or if this is the beginning of a PT. Her right paw doesn't always grasp the food but rather curls up next to it. She loved the photo shoot because she got a nice piece of cookie:

image.jpg

I suppose, but that shouldn't cause the paw to curl up, should it? She doesn't demonstrate tilty-ness, more just a lean when she is eating. I'll have to observe her with that in mind when she is cruising around tonight.

Back