Switching to the dark side?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the plunge tonight and bought the IMac. So far I love it. It's got some really cool features, the kinds I will take full advantage of like for video editing and picture editing too.

I've been playing with it all last night and today. It takes some getting used too. Of course like all new products, it's running fantastic. I'm really loving the big screen. I didn't go with the 27", that just seemed overkill for me. The monitor is amazingly clear, makes all my pics look professional. lol
I love how everything is wireless too. minimal connections, minimal everything. It's very user friendly over all.

...just when I thought it couldn't get better. I downloaded the new Lion OSX download yesterday. Sweet!!!! Apple doesn't charge over $200 for upgrading your OS... nope, only $30 but it's free for those who just bought a Mac.

jorats said:
...just when I thought it couldn't get better. I downloaded the new Lion OSX download yesterday. Sweet!!!! Apple doesn't charge over $200 for upgrading your OS... nope, only $30 but it's free for those who just bought a Mac.
When did it come out??

crumbilina said:
They said an email was supposed to come around when it came out!

Ill have to take a look! Thanks for the heads up :)
I was supposed to get an email too, but I haven´t gotten any :?

MissGuardian said:
crumbilina said:

Did you check the app store? It is there. I am going to download it tonight... today I have to use my computer :p

How long does it take???

crumbilina said:
MissGuardian said:
crumbilina said:

Did you check the app store? It is there. I am going to download it tonight... today I have to use my computer :p

How long does it take???
Yeah it is in the app store, but I signed up so I would get an email as soon as it was released :?
I´m wondering about the time thing too, because I started the download 30-45 min ago and so far nothing has happened :? Only the icon that says it´s downloading :?

MissGuardian said:
crumbilina said:
MissGuardian said:
crumbilina said:

How long does it take???
Yeah it is in the app store, but I signed up so I would get an email as soon as it was released :?
I´m wondering about the time thing too, because I started the download 30-45 min ago and so far nothing has happened :? Only the icon that says it´s downloading :?
ETA: Ignore the nothing has happened part.. It just goes reeeeally slow :wallbang: :gaah: (MIGHT have something to do with an useless slow internet connection.. Frequently around 1mb/s.....

jorats said:
Apple doesn't charge over $200 for upgrading your OS... nope, only $30 but it's free for those who just bought a Mac.

No, they just charge an arm and a leg to buy the machine needed to run the software you paid $30 to upgrade. To make things even more fun, if your Mac isn't running OS X v10.6, you'll need to buy that first, for another $30, before you can install the latest version (OS X v10.7). :crazzzy:

Once everything is factored in, the $30 cost of the Mac operating system probably doesn't amount to much of a savings (or any savings at all) over a Windows OS.

jorats said:
What I paid for my iMac was comparable to a good quality PC. My son paid twice as much as I did for his Alienware PC.

I agree with this.
The amount that I would have paid for the ONLY PC I liked was above and beyond what I paid for my Macbook + warranty + additional add ons. AND THEN when the new windows operating system comes out... I would have to pay an additional $200+ for that too!

I'm an pretty pleased with Apple right now... ESPECIALLY since my only complaint was addressed in the new OP

I´d rather pay more for something that WORKS, than money that is still a lot for a useless computer that can barely print a page and takes 10 min to start up when it´s NEW..

jorats said:
What I paid for my iMac was comparable to a good quality PC.

There are a lot of good quality PC's that cost considerably less than an iMac. The cheapest iMac I saw on the Best Buy website was $1,500.

I'm not trying to ridicule your purchase of an iMac or suggest that you should've bought a PC instead, but I do think it's important to keep the actual costs of ownership in perspective. Aside from that, what really matters is that you're happy with your decision! :D

MissGuardian said:
I´d rather pay more for something that WORKS, than money that is still a lot for a useless computer that can barely print a page and takes 10 min to start up when it´s NEW..

You've obviously had a really bad experience, but did you ever find out why you were having these issues? Did your PC have enough memory to adequately run the OS, for example?

jorats said:
My son paid twice as much as I did for his Alienware PC.

I looked at Alienware computers many years ago and actually considered buying one. I don't know what they cost today, but they were definitely really expensive back then.

KMG365 said:
MissGuardian said:

You've obviously had a really bad experience, but did you ever find out why you were having these issues? Did your PC have enough memory to adequately run the OS, for example?
Yep.. It should have had more than enough memory.. Every windows computer I´ve ever touched has been slow, lagging, programs shut down etc etc.. Even when brand new..

MissGuardian said:
KMG365 said:
MissGuardian said:

Yep.. It should have had more than enough memory.. Every windows computer I´ve ever touched has been slow, lagging, programs shut down etc etc.. Even when brand new..

Lack of memory is only one possible explanation. People sometimes think they can get away with having only the minimum required memory in their computers, but they soon discover that their PC's are extremely sluggish and unreliable. My sister's laptop came with Windows Vista and only 1GB of RAM. I think we waited about a week for that thing to boot up each time we had to restart it! :wink:

Back