Switching to the dark side?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumbilina

So, I'm thinking of getting a new computer.

I'm looking at all the laptops and the one that looks the best to me is the Macbook Pro.

Does anyone on here use a Macbook?
How easy was the transition?
Is it worth it?
How does the microsoft office work? similar to how it is on a pc?

I'm so conflicted. I dont want to learn a new operating system, but more and more companies are using macs and i think it would be to my advantage to learn now.

Any thoughts positive or negative are appreciated!

I feel so out of the technological loop! I used to know this stuff! lol

I :heart: my MacBook. I have the middle of the road MacBook and 2 years later it still runs super fast (something I never had with my Dell laptops and I really do very little maintenance on it - no defragging, upgraded the OS once and will probably do it again, although for Macs, it doesn't require a re-formatting of the drive) and has maintained it's battery life. I didn't get MS Office for it (although I'm considering it if I go back to school) but I did get the Apple office suite (I-Work), which I'm am not thrilled with but it's ok considering the cost difference. (Unlike MS products, if you know someone with I-Life you can borrow their disks and put it on your computer without needing a product key.) I also have Open Office, which has come a long way over the years. I like their photo software too (I-Life, it has more than photo software but I don't use the other stuff very much), it's pretty user friendly.

The transition was a lot easier than I thought, although I have trouble using Windows now because they have changed their platform so much. I just find it so much more frustrating than I did before. The only thing I don't like is a lot of apps are not made to run with FF for Macs (and I prefer it to Safari, although I think that's a question of what I'm used to) even though there are so many new Mac users all the time.

- I have a Macbook that's pretty much obsolete (the hubby says I can upgrade to a Macbook Pro on my birthday!)

- The transition was HARD, especially since I went from a desktop with Windows XP (I heard the transition is easier for those coming from Vista). It took me months to get used to the layout and remember all the shortcuts. At first I regretted making the decision, but I finally got used to it.

- It was worth the agony of transitioning. I love my Macbook to bits.

- Er, I never really noticed any difference between PCs and Macs for the Office programs. The only thing is that Macs don't usually come with the programs - you'd have to get them separately (or at least it was that way several years ago ...)

I had some experience with Mac. No to minimal problems with the OS. But if you run into hardware problems, it's going to take an arm,leg and first born child to replace it. The transition is pretty fun, actually. There are some widgets that are avaliable with Mac that Windows doesn't offer. Most of Mac is self-explaining, the programs will guide you through setting it up. I didn't try to use Microsoft Office on it, so I wouldn't be the most helpful with that.
When I read the subject line, I instantly thought you were trading in your Jedi cape and going Sith. It made me smile.

daisylynn said:
I had some experience with Mac. No to minimal problems with the OS. But if you run into hardware problems, it's going to take an arm,leg and first born child to replace it. The transition is pretty fun, actually. There are some widgets that are avaliable with Mac that Windows doesn't offer. Most of Mac is self-explaining, the programs will guide you through setting it up. I didn't try to use Microsoft Office on it, so I wouldn't be the most helpful with that.
When I read the subject line, I instantly thought you were trading in your Jedi cape and going Sith. It made me smile.

I disagree. I spilled water on my trackpad and killed it (I didn't tell Apple about the water) and took it in to the Apple Store, got it back the next day. I should also add that I have dropped my MacBook 3 times at least and it's still fine. It's got a noticeable dent on one corner of the screen (the screen is fine, just the casing is dented) and a small crack on the plastic hinge but it doesn't affect function at all.

daisylynn said:
But if you run into hardware problems, it's going to take an arm,leg and first born child to replace it.
Erk, I forgot that almost happened to me! My hard-drive went kaput, but fortunately it was right before the deadline to purchase the AppleCare protection package for my Mac - after paying for that (expensive, but still cheaper than fixing the mac without it), I was able to get my hard-drive replaced with no extra charge.

If you do get a Mac, you might want to look into the AppleCare thingie - its really pricey though, which was why I didn't initially get it.

victoria said:
daisylynn said:

I disagree. I spilled water on my trackpad and killed it (I didn't tell Apple about the water) and took it in to the Apple Store, got it back the next day. I should also add that I have dropped my MacBook 3 times at least and it's still fine. It's got a noticeable dent on one corner of the screen (the screen is fine, just the casing is dented) and a small crack on the plastic hinge but it doesn't affect function at all.
Sorry. I should've went into detail. I mean if you want to replace anything yourself. I've watched someone try to replace the hard drive and he had to take out more than 7 screws. Macbooks are pretty good at withstanding a beating. I just mean if you want to replace the hard drive or put a stick of RAM in... You need to have some patience.

I'm also thinking of going Mac but not the laptop, the desktop. I'm tired of a small screen, my eyes are getting tired and need it bigger.
At Future Shop, you can get the protection plan for only $199.00.
I'm just not sure which one I want, the big one that will cost me over $2000 or the smaller one. It's a lot of money for a computer. I remember back in... 97? My first PC cost me $3500. and that was with that super slow dial up. lol

jorats said:
I'm also thinking of going Mac but not the laptop, the desktop. I'm tired of a small screen, my eyes are getting tired and need it bigger.

I'm currently using a laptop connected to a 27" external monitor. I also use an external, bluetooth keyboard. So, having a laptop does not mean you're limited to a smaller screen (assuming your laptop has the necessary port to connect to an external monitor). My laptop sits on the corner of my desk, with the lid closed almost all the way, and I barely pay attention to it. The drawback of these extra connections, though, is that I'm unlikely to undo them all to make my laptop portable again. :D

Down the road, I will probably get a desktop computer too. I can then transfer my 27" monitor to my desktop, lug my laptop all over the place again and nothing will go to waste!

I just made the transition last summer and I'm so glad I did. I had very minimal issues during my transition period, mostly a matter of learning how to do certain commands on a Mac. As for Microsoft Office, I haven't had a chance to use it extensively yet but so far I see no differences from the Widows version. I love my Mac, the screen quality is awesome and after having a PC it's like the battery (laptop) lasts forever. I also have yet to experience any slowed down performance. I would do it again in a heart beat. You also get a bit of a discount if you are currently a student.

daisylynn said:

LOL! This is exactly how I feel... and where most of my conflict lies!

I didn't think I would get so many positive responses. Thanks everyone!

Looks like I will probably get a Mac then. I have full intention of buying the applecare with it. For computers, warranties usually come in handy...

And just so that I am clear on this: No antivirus software required... RIGHT?!?!!?! Because the answer to this question could make or break the decision.

I'm so tired of PC's. My computer bluescreened and practically gave me a heart attack for the last time last night!

One other question!

Does anyone know if you can hook up the Macbook Pro to an external monitor that is not Mac? Provided I purchase the correct connector? Not sure how well the graphics card works with external monitors...

crumbilina said:
And just so that I am clear on this: No antivirus software required... RIGHT?!?!!?! Because the answer to this question could make or break the decision.

There is very little in terms of Mac viruses in the true sense. But there are still trojans and other ickity stuff that you can get. And, even if a virus reaches you that doesn't affect your computer, you can still pass it on, say, if it attaches to an email or somesuch.

The opinions online seem pretty split, but many people who say you don't need an antivirus suggest that you use your firewall at the very least. Other things like making sure you only access the internet safely are important.

Rat Shack is safe right?! lol ;) Cuz really, besides here and papers from science journals, I don't really use the internet >.<

I will keep that in mind tho. I will have to hook it up to my network so I am hoping there is firewall information there... Thanks for mentioning that... I really didn't know. Either way, I am NOT getting antivirus until I have to. I hate dealing with that software. I become a not nice person when I have to deal with it lol!

I have my first quote :)
This could get expensive!

The only real anti virus that I know of for Mac OS is a free one available on downloads.com. I asked the Apple Care person about it when I called about my track pad and he said that was the only one he knew of too.

If you buy your Mac at the Apple Store I think you can book an appointment with a Genius and they can answer many of your questions.

I was talking to a Mac guy and he told me that the Mac people are constantly looking and catching anything that can get into a Mac. My friend has a Mac and he likes to "surf" everywhere and he's never been hit, not even scare ware.

Okay, obviously do what you want, and this is totally just my opinion.

But Apple computers are major money gougers. You can get comparable PCs for half the price. My boyfriend didn't believe me it was that big of a difference, but we just did the search. The 999 Macbook is comparable to what Dell is selling for 499, and Acer is even cheaper, both can come with additional waranties.

The thing is, Apple does make great products. They don't make any really low-end products, and everything they make works. There are tons of horrible Windows PCs, especially as they age, but there are also amazing Windows PCs out there too. I've had my dell for the past four years and it is still running fast and happy (Windows 7)...and I used it CONSTANTLY, and download a lot of virus-infested crap too (I make my antivirus work hard).

If you buy a Mac, you know you're getting something good. But you can get something just as good for half as much *IF* you do a little research or get a techy friend to help out. If you're going to be spending the money for an Apple computer, you could take that money and buy a windows PC and a beautifully huge monitor.

I understand wanting a pretty computer too...and Apple wins there. But I would reccommend going to Best Buy or Future Shop (not to buy from there though, definitely not!) and play around with the computers on display, compare the specs, and ask for advice.

I'm sure you'd be happy with an Apple. That's the thing, Apple doesn't make any crap. But, I just reeeeeally think you could be equally happy with a much less expensive computer.

hprats said:
Okay, obviously do what you want, and this is totally just my opinion.

But Apple computers are major money gougers. You can get comparable PCs for half the price. My boyfriend didn't believe me it was that big of a difference, but we just did the search. The 999 Macbook is comparable to what Dell is selling for 499, and Acer is even cheaper, both can come with additional waranties.

The thing is, Apple does make great products. They don't make any really low-end products, and everything they make works. There are tons of horrible Windows PCs, especially as they age.

If you buy a Mac, you know you're getting something good. But you can get something just as good for half as much *IF* you do a little research or get a techy friend to help out. If you're going to be spending the money for an Apple computer, you could take that money and buy a windows PC and a beautifully huge monitor.

I understand wanting a pretty computer too...and Apple wins there. But I would reccommend going to Best Buy or Future Shop (not to buy from there though, definitely not!) and play around with the computers on display, compare the specs, and ask for advice.

I'm sure you'd be happy with an Apple. That's the thing, Apple doesn't make any crap. But, I just reeeeeally think you could be equally happy with a much less expensive computer.

These were EXACTLY my thoughts until I went to best buy tonight...
I played with a bunch of PCs and was just not happy with any of them. I will NEVER buy an Acer or a HP (personal reasons - never had luck) so I was fairly limited with my choices. There were only a couple that weren't Acer or HP, and quite honestly, I felt like I was going to break them... or they were already broken in store or they were HUGE.

Believe me! I have looked for AGES for a laptop that I am satisfied with, and unfortunately the Macbook is one of the only ones. I have kept my eye out for the past half year to a year. Nothing.

A reason why I would switch: I'm ready to try something other then Windows, getting tired of all the crashes. And I have found in my line of work, Mac's are becoming much more common so it might be to my advantage to learn the MacOS.

I have a hard time deciding because of the reasons you have mentioned... lol its been quite the battle, and I can't struggle with my computer anymore, so I have to make a decision.

The macbook has the American enter key, and not the bilingual enter key! BIG plus in my book.

Thanks for letting me know your opinion! Its good to have both sides argued, I just wanted to let you know I was thinking the same way...

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and answers to my sometimes silly questions :)

I'm still not sure what I want to do lol! I have tonight to decide if I will bother or just suffer with my crashes and scary blue screen of death until I find something else lol!

I've went through quite a few PCs, some where packages and some I had built by an independent person. All of them barely kept up the speed and performance after a year. By year two, I'm dealing with crashes and freezes and viruses that my antivirus didn't find. :gaah:
I'm going for the Apple this time... Same reason why I will always buy Hondas.
Pretty and good... Cant go wrong with that. :giggle:

Back