Summer's respiratory problems.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really really really really upet! She wouldn't give me zithromax or doxy. Erythromycin... I've been reading about how common side-effects are with it. Erythromycin commonly causes dose-related GI disturbances, including nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea; disturbances are less common with clarithromycin and azithromycin.
Erythromycin may cause dose-related tinnitus, dizziness, and reversible hearing loss.

Poor kid has felt crappy long enough!

Side effects for human medications aren't the same for rats. Most often, they don't even have the same side effects, or they are much less debilitating to our rats.

From RatGuide:

Adverse Reactions
GI: anorexia, diarrhea
Skin: itching
Other: pain at injection site

These reactions are the same for the vast majority of antibiotics available for rats. The chances of Summer even having any of these reactions is fairly slim. RatGuide also states that Erythromycin is one of the few meds that can be used safely with pregnant rats.

Ratguide also says it's for mild respiratory infections, and treats some strains of myco (I read somewhere it's effective only against rapidly dividing bacteria), and she's had a chronic worsening problem. I also worry what damage this has done to her lungs already with the baytril just easing but not curing things, I sure wish she could have the most likely to help medication.

---Cross your fingers for me, I just phoned the compounding pharmacy I was supposed to get the erthromycin from today and told the druggist I wasn't happy about the erythromycin - both cause it's 3 months of it and cause of it's greater likelihood of side effects and it's less covering of all myco strains and being more for mild problems - that I'd wanted zithromax. Fortuitously she is the one that talked to Dr Maynard (vet) yesterday, she said they had discussed zithromax and it sounded as if Dr. Maynard might be open to it now- she suggested I call the vet back and talk to her.

I just called and she's not in til friday but they are going to put a note in Summer's file and have the other vet (the more senior one) take a look at it - Maybe she will allow the zithromax :?:

Sorry I'm still going on about this, but I don't feel this vet is as experienced or open to things as your vet Jorats, and my gut (and years of reading at ratsites) says 3 months of erythromycin is not the best thing at this point...

I was under the impression you were going to be using the Erithromycin in conjunction with the Baytril, which would have been about the same effect as Baytril/Doxy, if not a better combo. Used alone it's only good for milder resp infections, but paired with a hard hitter such as Baytril, it's more effective.

Obviously, you should use whichever meds and combination of meds you feel most comfortable with.

I'm confused as to why your vet won't prescribe a second medication.

I have looked at exotics medical textbooks with my vet looking for alternate ways to treat respiratory problems, and they usually suggest baytril & doxycycline!

She is staying on baytril also. I just wanted zithromax along with it rather than erythromycin.
Anyway, no go - they're sticking to their guns about erythromycin. So I guess that's what I have to do :(

Poor Summer :( I hope that the Erythromycin clears her up! Sending love and kisses her way... Stanley and Sammy are worried about their sister.

As a combo its not that bad. If it doesn't show improvement in 4 days or so, then you can stamp your feet and try to insist on a change to zithro...sometimes we need to comply with our vets first before they will let us "diagnose" LOL

Yeah, but whose baby are they playing around with, and whose budget? GGRRRR
I got the distinct feeling my vet is highly disapproving of us amateurs getting info from the net.

Ugh, my vet is the same way, if it's not written up by a vet, she won't look at it.

But... she's had a few vets call her for advice. :wink:

Thanks for asking mamarat. You'll wish you didn't.....

She started getting better again when I started the baytril saturday, tho still noisy she isn't in as much distress.

I got the erythromycin yesterday. Measured it in an almost new regular syringe (clear with black markings) and the rubber inside stuck, couldn't budge it. Managed to carefully save the meds and toss the syringe. Tried again with a brand new one - same thing.
Had to use the one they sent. Orange with white markings - had to find my reading glasses and do it directly under the stove hood light and even then it was tough cause it took forever for the little bubble to rise to the top......

Put it in ensure, she sniffed and would have nothing to do with it, I put a bit on my finger and rubbed it across her lips (they'll usually take anything from my finger) and she walked away repeatedly stopping to rub her face against the blanket as she went (it would have been funny if it wasn't funny).
SoI tasted it - Yuccchhh! even with the sweetener they'd added it was ghastly! and the taste took forever to go away. So I tossed the meds & ensure and refilled the syringe with meds and had to force it into her while she struggled mightily.

She was more practiced at struggling this morning than last night too.

God - 3 months of this? Twice a day? My baby who runs to me for comfort when she is having trouble, who likes to snuggle up under my neck on the pillow & brux - she's going to hate my guts and become afraid everytime I pick her up now :cry:

Oh, and they'd said on the phone it would cost $40 but I got there and it was $73.94! (with one lousy hard-to-read syringe - the cheap *&$%#'s). Alright if I'd got the zithro I wanted, but for something I didn't want that is very likely to cause her nausea, cramps, diarrhea, tinnitus, dizziness..... and with them hiding things like they do she might be in hell and I wouldn't even know :tantrum:... Should have got just one month's to see how she was on it but I didn't think til later as getting it month by month would cost $105.

On the upside side I'm sure she's not feeling as sick as I am.

Try mixing some of it half and half with strawberry Nesquik. And THEN mixing it however you usually do. It seems to take the bitterness off of some meds. I have never used erythromycin though.

Thankyou Lise. Powdered or does it come in liquid?
My mom has some salmon oil pill for her cat, I'm going to try that too, I remember Flannel having good luck with meds in some fish juice stuff....

Back