Stuck in a rut- Update: Guess whose back home!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joanne said:
hopefloats said:
Aida said:
They said "about a week longer". I didn't comment, smiled, and said "okay". I have some baytril at home, and will be getting more, soon. So I can finish her treatment myself. Truthfully, I just wanted a vet to back up my prediction that it was what I thought. I'd rather it at home, too. As anyone would.

I will also be getting doxy. along with the baytril. Would you guys recommend doing a combo, then? Or just baytril alone?
If you had this at home, why did you take her back?
I think she wanted the vet evaluation without the $$....

yeah but a vet will hear a sneezing rat, and say URI. You can tell if it is pneumonia or not, most of the time. They will not test there for Sendai or SDA. I just want to make sure they are not going back for the wrong reasons... Or people are not under the impression because the vet there sees their rat that they are virus free. If that makes sense.

hopefloats said:
Joanne said:
hopefloats said:
Aida said:
They said "about a week longer". I didn't comment, smiled, and said "okay". I have some baytril at home, and will be getting more, soon. So I can finish her treatment myself. Truthfully, I just wanted a vet to back up my prediction that it was what I thought. I'd rather it at home, too. As anyone would.

I will also be getting doxy. along with the baytril. Would you guys recommend doing a combo, then? Or just baytril alone?
If you had this at home, why did you take her back?
I think she wanted the vet evaluation without the $$....

yeah but a vet will hear a sneezing rat, and say URI. You can tell if it is pneumonia or not, most of the time. They will not test there for Sendai or SDA. I just want to make sure they are not going back for the wrong reasons... Or people are not under the impression because the vet there sees their rat that they are virus free. If that makes sense.
I only had a tiny little bit left, form Matilda's treatment. I couldn't get imore then, but found a way to get it soon. And I didn't want to give her meds without having 100% certainty that it's an upper respiratory.

And yeah, I know. She'll be getting a new quarantine when she gets back, of course.

Dont get me wrong I trust vets but even when i went in with a ton of sick rats, half dont look at viruses. If you stick with one vet, they will usually be kinder to you on billing :) Ask the vets if you can get some extra most of the time they will :)

I went to Petsmart last night!!! They said it's about one more week, but they let me see and hold her! She's in a pretty decent sized cage, with a igloo and water bottle and food dish. The bedding is carefresh. She's grown soooo much! No longer a soft little mouse-like ratmuffin. v.v

But I think she gets attention from the people, because she wasn't scared or cowering when they opened the thing and picked up the igloo. And she was happy and content in my hands. So that's good.

I'm so happy this is turning into a good experience! I have to admit that I was not convinced at all when I saw this thread the first time... Good for you - and for her! I'm sure she'll be happy to go home for good!

Yeah.She did sound a bit wheezy, though. So I'll probably do the combo when she gets home. Which will be soon, I hope. o-o

If she's still wheezy (and she's been there more than 2 weeks) then she's going to need stronger abs or a different combo. There is also a possibility that they aren't dosing properly.

Went again, and she's not improving. Phorphin and the wheezing is stronger, but not skinny or weak. From now on, I'm gonna be going back there to see her every day- until it gets past them that I'm effin' serious.

I told them to do a combo, doxy. and baytril and to take her to a vet again and if that vet is inexpirienced, to tell the vet to prescribe a combo. The man said that he'll try and take her to another store where the vet gets more rats. I said to either do a combo and take her to the vet, or give her back to me if they're not willing to properly treat her.

What do you guys think? I'm so stressed out.

I would take her and get her to your own vet. At least you know you will be giving the right dose at the right time. And it will be less stressful for her to be in a home than in a store.

Yeah, that is what I'm going to do if they don't take her to another vet/give her a combo. They can be sure I'll be stopping by every day until she gets better. o.e

I wouldn't even bother asking them about a new combination, I'd just ask her to give them you her back right away.
How can you trust that she is getting the right antibiotics and that she's getting the care she needs?
She is much better at home with you.

Like everyone else said, even if they do get her on a combo there is absolutely no guarantee that she is actually getting her meds twice a day whethere you are there everyday or not.

Hey guys,
I went and got my baby back!!! :dance: :cloud9: :joy: :nod: :cuddle: :lol: :heart:

She's actually a lot better than when I was there about a week ago(last post). A LOT better, I don't know what was up that day. Maybe the baytril didn't kick in for a while...? Either way, the man said that he still couldn't get the doxy. so I just said that I'd rather take her home and thanked him. Since she isn't looking so bad, I just settled her into a temporary cage and will watch her for a while. I'll take her to the vet, but I'm sick myself(strep throat, ugh), and since she isn't looking so bad, I'll wait off for a few days. Any ideas on how I could make the symptoms better for her for a while? I'll take her in the bathroom when I shower for the steam, and I gave her fresh veggies/fruits just now- and some dark chocolate. Anything else I could do? Also, I read that a lot of people recommend amoxcillin instead of doxycyciline. I just got this for my strep throat(actually went to the doctors today- I got A LOT done!), should I give her some? I also have baytril, I think it shouldn't be expired yet(I'll double check the date, of course!!!).

Back home, and much bigger.....

(STILL no name! :roll: )

Sorry they're so bad. I had to use my phone in low light, with a frisky rat. :wallbang:

Back