Stuck in a rut- Update: Guess whose back home!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dazzle87 said:
Do you have a copy of or picture of the contract? You can PM it to me if you'd prefer.
Yup. One moment, let me take a picture(it's going to be small, I'm not sure if you'll see anything). I'll put it on here.

(I'm omiting the top part, it has telephone numbers and adresses on it)

Just as I thought, you can't make out any letters. I'm going to type the garantee part of it(the rest isn't significant), mostly the ones that I think apply to this case.

"If your pet becomes ill during the 14-day satisfaction guarantee period, it will be replaced with a healthy pet, or the price will be refunded. It will be treated according to veterinary protocol. You can request to be notified when the pet has recovered, if you wish to repurchase it.

Paragraph 2: -PETSMART doesn't cover any vet bills if you take them to your own vet during the guarantee

Paragraph 3: - We encourage a quarantine... PETSMART is not responsible for illness passed on to other animals"

I know that this doesn't mean they HAVE to give her back to me. As long as they give me any rat- they're fine. But I already repurchased her today, so I think that changes things.

Right, sounds like they are within their rights to finish treating her before selling her back to you though.

I re-read my post, seems you misunderstood. I meant you have to wait for them to treat her to get her back now. You couldn't just, say, take the rat back halfway through treatment.

Dazzle87 said:
Right, sounds like they are within their rights to finish treating her before selling her back to you though.

I re-read my post, seems you misunderstood. I meant you have to wait for them to treat her to get her back now. You couldn't just, say, take the rat back halfway through treatment.
Oh, yeah. I didn't understand that completely. :emb:

But yeah, I know that they have to finish treating her before I get her back.

I just think that place would be more traumatizing then healing at home.... I have heard those places it is probably not user friendly to other animals.

I think the care varies from store to store. I know several people that work in different Petsmarts and have heard many different things. My vet happens to take care of the animals in a Petsmart here in Ontario whereas a vet with NO small animal experience takes care of all the animals in another location that I know of. It also depends on the staff in the stores, if they know how to medicate, they do, but if they don't know how to medicate, they won't but will write on the paperwork that they did. Hopefully you got one of the better stores.

Is it Banfield who is caring for your rat? If so, contact them and confirm that they have experience with Exotics. The Banfield in the PetSmart here is really just a dog and cat vet. They don't have a clue about rats. If they had, my little rescue would not have been labeled as "healthy".

Some PetSmarts have agreements with local Exotic Animal Hospitals. You may want to find out if your PetSmart does. If not, they may try to tell you that your baby is as good as new when she may not be. Don't leave them to their own devices and do not blindly believe what they tell you. Their lack of experience should not result in a nightmare for you or the rat. Force them to think outside their, potential, box. Hope this helps. :hugs:

As much as I don't care for Banfield or Petsmart, I'd have a little faith in them. Like I said in my PM, a similar situation with one of my first two boys turned out okay. I did have to wait the full treatment to pick him up, but they were actually pretty cool about making sure I got him back.

Well, I went back to PetsMart to check on my rat. They didn't let me see her, but she's in her own cage. It was a Upper Respiratory Infection(I kinda knew that already, but it's good to get a vet's opinion, too.), sadly she is just on Baytril. :I
Better than nothing, I guess. But I doubt it'll go away without a combo of drugs. Other than that, she's doing fine, they said.

Aida said:
Well, I went back to PetsMart to check on my rat. They didn't let me see her, but she's in her own cage. It was a Upper Respiratory Infection(I kinda knew that already, but it's good to get a vet's opinion, too.), sadly she is just on Baytril. :I
Better than nothing, I guess. But I doubt it'll go away without a combo of drugs. Other than that, she's doing fine, they said.

Since she's so young, she may be ok with just one but they will likely not give it long enough. You may need to take her to the vet at the end of the day anyway. What I don't like about their policy is that they are ignoring the benefit of the rat being home and with companions during the recovery process.

I wouldn't have been able to leave her with them. I would be too scared that I would never get her back! I'm glad she's on Baytril. Hopefully that will be enough for her, although like Victoria said, it may not be a long enough duration. They need to be on it for an extended period, ie 6 weeks, to ensure that things are stable. Good luck!

They said "about a week longer". I didn't comment, smiled, and said "okay". I have some baytril at home, and will be getting more, soon. So I can finish her treatment myself. Truthfully, I just wanted a vet to back up my prediction that it was what I thought. I'd rather it at home, too. As anyone would.

I will also be getting doxy. along with the baytril. Would you guys recommend doing a combo, then? Or just baytril alone?

I would assess her and see how she's doing. If she seems to be doing well on just the Baytril, I would leave it at that. I wouldn't add the second drug unless she needed it.

Aida said:
They said "about a week longer". I didn't comment, smiled, and said "okay". I have some baytril at home, and will be getting more, soon. So I can finish her treatment myself. Truthfully, I just wanted a vet to back up my prediction that it was what I thought. I'd rather it at home, too. As anyone would.

I will also be getting doxy. along with the baytril. Would you guys recommend doing a combo, then? Or just baytril alone?

If you had this at home, why did you take her back?

hopefloats said:
Aida said:

If you had this at home, why did you take her back?
I think she wanted the vet evaluation without the $$....

Back