Something is Wrong with Wembley - Sad Ending

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmkay...you basically figure out the doses for each drug but give them as a combo.

Baytril is dosed at this...
5 mg to 10 mg/kg q12h; PO, IM 1
anywhere from 5 to 30 days(injectable form may be given orally)

doxy is this..
2.5 mg/kg q12hr, PO, 14 to 30 days 2 1
5 mg/kg q12hr; PO, 14 to 30 days when used in pneumonia 1

Debbie D. suggests the higher end of the dosage range

Baytril 10 mg per Ib, twice a day for at least 6 weeks (orally)

Doxycycline 2.5 - 5 mg/Ib twice a day for at least 6 weeks

Prednisone 1 mg/Ib one to two times a day

(When stopping prednisone, it should be reduced gradually, cutting dosage in half until very low, then going to every other day and then every third day before stopping. Rat must be on an antibiotic when taking prednisone.)

from Rat Health Care book.

We were at the vet last Thursday to get the antibiotic you suggested.

Last night when i gave him his meds he all of a sudden acted very differently. I can't describe it. Even more lethargic, he just went into a house in the play place and sat there. I thought maybe i hurt him trying to give the meds.

This morning i came to give him his meds and i found him in one of the tubes. He died lastnight.

One of is ears was just covered in blood, and it was coming out of his ear. He himself had blood all over him as did the tube and one of the houses. It is very painful to look at it everywhere.

I guess something in his ear ruptured? Please tell me this was a quick death...

It does sound like perhaps a tumour in his ear. We've had a few rats go through that. The tumour sometimes abscesses had even invaded the brain.
I sure do hope it was a quick death. If it's a death from blood loss, then it's a very good death, just go to sleep...
I'm so very sorry. :cry:

I'm so sorry :( One of my female rats last year was healthy and normal from what I could tell, than one day she started acting funny and slowly developed a head tilt over 2 days. I was off on my first week away at college, and got a phone call that overnight she bled from her ear and died. It was so sudden, within a week, she must have had something rupture as well. It's terribly heartbreaking, I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Oh my gosh.... I am so sorry about your little boy. He was a real sweety and he'll always have a special place in your heart. :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

I'm so sorry. It is hard when they die so fast, before you can figure out what to do. From the sound of it, you probably could not have done anything. Poor sweetie, I am glad that he had a good life with you. You will miss him.

I'm so very sorry for your loss of your beloved boy.
You did all you could to help him and he no doubt knew that and drew comfort from your love.

Back