Something is Wrong with Wembley - Sad Ending

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

For th past week Wembley (who is about 20 months old) has been very lethargic. He does not want to come out of his house. When i bring him to the play place he just goes into another box and stays there.

He has been sneezing, not fits of it, but quite regularly. Some discharge around his eyes and nose.

Yesterday morning he had red discharge coming out of one ear. It cleared up through the day.
This afternoon there is some discharge but this time it is more of an orange/brown colour. I forget if its the same ear.

His lungs sound clear when i hold him up to my ear.

He is eating, and walking fine - he has his balance cause i just saw him perched up on the food bowl to eat. He has not lost any weight and his coat is nice and healthy.

He has been moved to a new cage recently and there has been two new additions to the family but the lethargy started before these changes.

Any ideas?

discharge is bad...he sounds like he needs antibiotics soon. He is starting to show signs of illness and he will most likely only get worse esp. at that age.

Sorry Karma.

Sounds like he needs to see a vet and go on antibiotics.
The rat in the post you linked to was on antibiotics.

Sounds like he hasn't been feeling well for awhile
ie. lethargic for the last week, sneezing, porphyrin staining, discharge from his ears, and now being "puffy".

Does his ear smell bad? Is there a lump under his ear?

If he has an internal ear infection he will need antibiotics + an anti-inflammatory such as prednisone.
If he has an external ear infection his ear will need to be cleaned out and he will need to have antibiotics put into his ear ... such as (diluted with sterile saline) gentocin ear drops or liquid baytril (diluted 1:10 with saline).
(Rat Health Care book, pp. 25, 39)

Hope you get him to a vet asap.

I agree, he should see a vet and get antibiotics.
What could have happen is all the changes stressed him out to the point where he's become ill. The discharge in the ear could very well be wax, even with that colour, I've seen it before and it was basically a wax build up.

Sending healing vibes to sweet Wembley.

We went to Campus Estates this morning. We got Wembley some antibiotics; Doxy, 0.08ml twice/day, for a respiratory infection (2 weeks worth).

She had a look in his ear - there is definitely a growth in there whether its a polyp or tumor she doesn't know. There is a serious stink coming out of it now. She is not going to start treating the ear until the resp. infection has cleared up.

He also has a 'scratch' on his eye that looks like a big blood mark and his eye seems glassy. She gave me some drops for it as well as some Metacam for any pain.

I am wondering if the scratch on his eye is not a scratch but related to the growth in the ear?

My poor guy.... giving him all these meds is sure going to stress him our further. I hope it gets him better...

We went to Campus Estates this morning. We got Wembley some antibiotics; Doxy, 0.08ml twice/day, for a respiratory infection (2 weeks worth).

She had a look in his ear - there is definitely a growth in there whether its a polyp or tumor she doesn't know. There is a serious stink coming out of it now. She is not going to start treating the ear until the resp. infection has cleared up.

He also has a 'scratch' on his eye that looks like a big blood mark and his eye seems glassy. She gave me some drops for it as well as some Metacam for any pain.

I am wondering if the scratch on his eye is not a scratch but related to the growth in the ear?

My poor guy.... giving him all these meds is sure going to stress him our further. I hope it gets him better...

Poor sweetie. Sending healing vibes. I had a rat with a tumor in his ear and it spread all down his face (swelling) and finally to his brain. There was a bad smell from his ear. Cash lived a good 4 months after this diagnosis. Good luck with your sweetie.

Poor sweetie. Sending healing vibes. I had a rat with a tumor in his ear and it spread all down his face (swelling) and finally to his brain. There was a bad smell from his ear. Cash lived a good 4 months after this diagnosis. Good luck with your sweetie.

Was is a good 4 months? Was he happy?

Yes Cash was acting "normal" and eating well until the last week, although sometimes sleeping more but I thought the meds were making him sleepy. He was PTS at 23 months.

UPDATE:

The smell and discharge from Wembley's ear has cleared up since he has been on antibiotics.

His eyes are still very dry, dull and glassy-looking.

This evening when i took him out he is having problems walking:
-stays low to the ground
-head weaving back and forth
-tipping over
-backend seems worse

He doesn't go slow though. He seemed worried about the situation.

Vanessa also pointed out that one of his teeth is very white.

I think this is a PT now... Do these cause pain?

Yeah it doesn't sound like typical PT to me at all, more like an inner ear infection. The doxycycline might be helping a little but not curing him, I think you are going to have to insist on treating that ear infection and fast.

You need strong penetrating abs for a long time for an inner ear infection.
These drugs will also likely treat his URI as well.

If he has an inner ear infection, he probably needs baytril added to the doxy or chloremphenicol instead plus an anti-inflamatory such as prednisone.

Hope he gets meds and is soon feeling better.

Back