Someone abandoned 3 rats on the side of the road!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingosm8

My husband went to take a jog this evening, and came home with a large cage that was covered in 3 towels. He found it on the side of the road.

Inside were 3 male rats. With no water and just a crust of bread inside their dirty cage.
2360109657_c365ac5893.jpg

2360948758_aa52d3d06d.jpg

I cleaned their cage up, redecorated it, added food and water. They drank water for ever, they were so thirsty.
2360115655_b40340ae94.jpg

2360946366_4dffbe45fc.jpg

I've been sitting here wondering what type of person would do this. These three boys are very sweet and tame.

There is one older male PEW with a smudge on his nose. He's also got some scabs around his head and under his chin.
2360945518_b416a94d15.jpg

Then there is this young little PEW. He's very curious about his clean home and new toys. He seems to love the little house I put in there.

Then there is this other young dumbo eared cream/white little guy. He's very curious and affectionate.
2360110339_fc476d1fab.jpg

I already have 2 males (Roo and Zeddy). I'm thinking about keeping one, and putting the other 2 on craigslist for adoption. I think this cage is too small for all three, but two should be fine. I'm trying to decide which one to keep.
They all seem to get along great despite their experience.
Any suggestions?

Probably not want you want to hear..... :lol: but how about putting the cage up for sale after you buy a bigger cage big enough for 5 boys.....sorry I'm not much help.They look very sweet......glad you hubby brought them home.
How can people do what they do????

We had the same thing happen here. A cage with 4 girls were found on the side of the road. The SPCA got involved and are looking at who did it.

That person covered the cage with mesh to make it rat proof and then discard them?
These three went through a lot. I would strongly recommend that they stay together. They have bonded through this really rough time and it would be a shame if they were separated. I think it would be best to rehome all three together.

To whoever did that... well, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits and their arms be too short to scratch them.

They're lucky to have found a good rattie slave to spoil them as they deserve. Can you afford to keep them all? If so, it might be for the best to avoid breaking up the already bonded trio. After all, they're clearly happy in their new home.

I agree with Jo. I would probably keep them together if at all possible. They may have been together since day one and it might be hard for them to be separated.

Your hubby is one sweet man!!! I agree with Jo. I took 4 girls in who were left in a park and another two who were left in a blueberry patch by the highway. They are so bonded, I could never have separated them. You're an angel to take these boys in.

Lexi,

don't put them on Craigslist for adoption; their chances of landing a really good home are not good! Put them on Petfinders.com where people really do look to find a new pet!

I have to agree with Jo. Do what you can to keep the boys together. They have been to h3!! and back together and should not be separated.

I would also contact the SPCA about the desertion. Whoever did this to them aught to be boiled in oil. :mad:

Do you think that 5 male rats can fit into a single level ferret nation?
I may be able to keep them (would like to). My husband might disagree with me though. He recommends I drop them off at the animal shelter.

I agree with what has been said.
I hope that you get a cage big enough for five and keep them as you will give them a good home.
I would get some revolution and treat all for mites as you mentioned scabs.

Please don't separate the 3 boys, after everything they have been through they need to be together in a good home.

People on Craigslist and kijiji seem to feel that pets are disposable.
If you are re homing them, you might want to post on rat sites to try to find a home with someone who is experienced with rats.

Wonderful of your husband to bring them home!

A single level, no... but the up side to the Ferret Nation as far as I know is that it's supposed to be easy to add a level. A two level FN would be perfect. :D

I currently have a 3 level ferret nation, with 7 girls in the top 2 levels, and 2 boys in the bottom. They are separated.
I was planning on getting the boys neutered when they were old enough and have them all together in the joined 3 level. But now with 5 boys? I'm not so sure.

I was thinking about removing the hardware cloth. I think it's making them smell more. I think they are old enough/large enough not to escape.

I was also thinking about finding another cage to attach to this one to make a franken cage. Does this one look too small for 3 rats?
I just measured the cage, and it's 12" deep, 24" wide, and 25" tall....so too small for 3 rats.

wow I can't believe that someone would just dump them on the side of the road. That's horrible. So lucky that your husband found them! Lucky boys, they're so cute!

This is absolutely terrible! Some people, huh? I'm very, very glad that your hubby found them and brought them home!! I agree that it would be best not to separate them but be sure that you have not only the space for 3 more males but also the money and time. I'd love to see these boys stay with you but be sure that it is something that won't become a sore point with your husband as it seems that he doesn't think that 3 more boys is a good idea... :(

Definately take pictures of scabs then start revolution for mites then report to the ASPCA and maybe offer to foster them until the ASPCA finds a good home. Who knows, maybe your husband will bond with them while you foster and you will end up keeping them anyhow ^_^

:shock: thats mental... who in their right mind would ever do something like that.. i mean.. whats the big deal to bring them to the spca if you really dont want/cant have them.. dont just put them on the side of the freaking road... gawd!! some peoples kids!! makes me feel like pulling out my hair and screaming and crying. thats just horrible ... horrible... :evil:
thank gawd for your hubby.. even if you dont keep em..
i do agree with the others tho.. id try to keep em together if they seem to be bonded... but ultimatly its up to you guys... they are some handsome!! hope everything works out with them... -gives them virtual scritches and belly kisses- lol

I've decided to "foster" them....which means that if eventually (after quarantine) they get along with my other boys, I'll keep them

I've taken some new photos of the street boys...and given them names
This is Yeti...the oldest one
2362621137_8db65f4d6d.jpg

2362621601_5da752c5de.jpg

This is Zip
2362622031_fbf5dbfec6.jpg

2362622485_27ffa662d8.jpg

And this is Gizmo
2363454098_fb81cd16ce.jpg

2362622955_75c158b1cb.jpg

Back