Someone abandoned 3 rats on the side of the road!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dingosm8 said:
I've decided to "foster" them....which means that if eventually (after quarantine) they get along with my other boys, I'll keep them

I've taken some new photos of the street boys...and given them names
This is Yeti...the oldest one
2362621137_8db65f4d6d.jpg

2362621601_5da752c5de.jpg

This is Zip
2362622031_fbf5dbfec6.jpg

2362622485_27ffa662d8.jpg

And this is Gizmo
2363454098_fb81cd16ce.jpg

2362622955_75c158b1cb.jpg

What BEAUTIFUL boys!!!! :love6:

They'll have it good if they are lucky enough to be able to stay with you Lexi. But even if not; You are the right kind of heart and soul to find a really good home for them. :)

5 males in a single FN is not ideal but quite acceptable, if it's done right and given plenty of out time.

Before removing that hardware mesh, you have to be extremely certain that the rats can't get through.
Having both sexes intact in the home = preventable oopsies.

jorats said:
5 males in a single FN is not ideal but quite acceptable, if it's done right and given plenty of out time.

Before removing that hardware mesh, you have to be extremely certain that the rats can't get through.
Having both sexes intact in the home = preventable oopsies.

I agree 5 is not ideal but it is manageable. I have a double FN with 5 girls up top and 5 on the bottom (my young-ins torment my oldies so I had to separate them) They seem to do well with the current situation and honestly seem to smell less than when they were all together. The girls get at least two hours of free range every night and I change their bedding every other day to keep it clean.

YAY!!! I'm so glad that you will be "fostering" them!! ^_^ I love when people do that, it keeps hubby happy and you and the rats even happier! :grouphug2:

Dahlas said:
I think if they got lots of play time and all got along good 5 in a single FN would be okay.....much better then being homeless
or being in a dirty cage on the side of the road....

I was just thinking...someone made a comment about why couldnt they have done the RESPONSIBLE thing and surrendered them? it made me think of a time when i was working at the spca, a guy wanted to surrender his cat, and when the receptionst mentioned the surrender fee (20$ maybe?) he flipped, started swearing and made some comment about dumping the effing cat on the road somewhere. At that the receptionist almost jumped over the desk at him, and gave him a stern talking to, that he didnt have to react that way, if he didnt have that money he could have said so and they could have worked something out - that it was no way to handle the situation.
He looked rather embarassed after that, and the surrender proceeded uneventfully.

*sigh* i guess my point was that sometimes when you call a shelter and they mention the surrender fee people are pissed about it and choose the cheaper option? its beyond me personally.

Cityratt said:
I was just thinking...someone made a comment about why couldnt they have done the RESPONSIBLE thing and surrendered them? it made me think of a time when i was working at the spca, a guy wanted to surrender his cat, and when the receptionst mentioned the surrender fee (20$ maybe?) he flipped, started swearing and made some comment about dumping the effing cat on the road somewhere. At that the receptionist almost jumped over the desk at him, and gave him a stern talking to, that he didnt have to react that way, if he didnt have that money he could have said so and they could have worked something out - that it was no way to handle the situation.
He looked rather embarassed after that, and the surrender proceeded uneventfully.

*sigh* i guess my point was that sometimes when you call a shelter and they mention the surrender fee people are pissed about it and choose the cheaper option? its beyond me personally.

I was thinking something along the same lines. Maybe they were too embarrassed to surrender the rats, and you're right, the surrender fee may have deterred them.

I think that more animals would be surrendered rather dumped if the original pet 'owners' were not made to feel embarrassed for giving up their pet. I'm seeing things from protecting the animal’s welfare rather than preserving the pet owner’s ego. Maybe having a place at shelters and pounds where animals can be safely and anonymously left will save more pets or, at the very least, cause less suffering.

As for having 5 rats in a single level FN, I think it would be fine so long as they could get out for exercise. Better that these rats have a good home than go to people you know nothing about (as would happen if they are advertised on craigslist or sent to the pound). So glad they will be fostered by you dingosm8.

Dewi

:eek: :eek: Oh what a great thing your nice husband found them & you cleaned their cage & helped them, Please I beg you, don't break them up, they are little soul mates who were treated so bad but were saved, even if the cage is a bit small, they would rather be together, Please let them all stay! :grouphug:

They are soooo adorable. I could not part with them if I found them.

And I just dont get people and how cruel they can be. I guess that is why I get along better with animals!
I feel guilty leaving my boys just for a weekend.

Aw YAY they are so handsome.

When I took in the kitten that followed us home. It spent the night in our bathroom and i took it to the OSPCA the next day. Because ours burnt down they are not supposed to be taking animals but I explained the situation and they took him from me. They asked for a donation. I told them I would really love to but at the moment I couldn't afford it. They understood. I think they say donation when it's not yours but a fee when it is yours.

Back