So Long, FN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

I officially got sick and tired of the FN.

Charlene has been put into storage.

And I now have a million cages again... :roll:

I just snapped I guess!! Everything all over the floor all the time, the wheels leaking *HOW I do NOT know*. So I was wheeling out the other cages to clean them and I said... Hmm the FN should get cleaned out too. After I washed it and it was all nice and not gross again I was going to wheel it back inside but I said... No. Charlene, you are not coming back!!! So John helped me move it around back and get it into our shed thingy.

Some people get pans made at metal shops, with high sides. Might be a thought.... unless you're hell bent on giving it away, LOL

I sold mine.. but only to upgrade to the CN. I love the design of them... What other cages do you prefer?!

I've never had an FN but I think I would probably side with Cait, they don't seem to be very good mess catchers. :p I'd get tired of that really fast.

What? ok, FN (FerretNation) & CN (Critter Nation, right?).
I have a 20 1/2" x 39" x 18" high cage and it's perfect! Lots of room on the bottom for kids with mobility problems, and doors at the top to make their supplemental space accessible while requiring them to climb (exercise) up the tops of hidey-houses to get to it. It sits on a shelf that fits their food bins in it.
None of my kids jump to the floor (had some that did - RIP my love Savanna) so I leave the top cage doors open and supplement their space with a changing table with a drawer next to the cage - they love the drawer! and the table makes space for a climbing cage and a wheel. And my ground floor Fidget has 20 1/2 x 39. As the kids change I can change the layout to suit who I have at the time.
Bottom line - I'm liking my cage all with it's possible permutations!

The only way I would keep it is if it had high pans. I'd heard of people finding under the bed storage containers just the right size, but I've never found them. I asked my uncle to build me metal ones once and he never really said anything about it, and we aren't close enough for me to ask again, haha. And the Bass pans are too short. About as useless as no pans.

If I didn't have carpet, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But even with linoleum underneath it, there was always STUFF everywhere.

The doors are nice. The size is nice. But that's about it.

I'm using a modified double SP Exotic for 5 of my boys, a large SP rabbit cage for 3 other boys. The girls have this weird black cage that I do not know the name of, but it's a lot like an ALT cage but has HUGE awesome doors.

I'm beginning to think you are right Cait. Poop is always on the floor and OMG the stink. Clean clean clean, a little to much work for my liking. I'm looking into a plexi-glass bottom with a 3" side so I can get rid of material and go back to carefresh. I'm really finding the stink hard to deal with and no matter how much you clean it, you can still smell the pee! :sick2:
The doors are nice. The size is nice. But that's about it.
This....for sure is true.

I have to agree, when my CN was a double there was poop EVERYWHERE, the cage was on hardwood floors so I could just sweep it up, but it can get annoying when your rats refuse to be potty trained!!!!

I only have 4 rats in a single now, so I don't have as much poop as I did.

We had that problem for a while, then we buckled down and got them litter trained. But before we managed that feat, James went to a local craft store and bought Chloroplast sp? (it is kind of like corrugated cardboard but it is plastic) and some aquarium caulking and made pans WITH sides. It made a huge difference for mess. Maybe give this a try...

Yesssss I am not totally crazy!! LOL

Also, I am what you call, lazy. I would rather not have to sweep three, four times a day it takes to keep the place looking halfway presentable haha.

I might talk to a metals shop and see if they'll do pans for me.

And you're right, you can't get rid of the smell. But I'm starting to think that's not the cage itself, just rats and having rats. :p

There's concrete under ours, and I have the laziest invention ever... a vac. broom lol. Also my girls arn't really litter trained, they'ed rather use the whole bottem pan(same as my ferrets, tho they at least use newspaper!) but I use a hand sweeper/collecter and toss the raisns every evening...
I'd of thought the FN/CN really is the Last Cage one would ever need (besides a travel cage)... I can kinda understand that some people like carefresh, but I was so glad I didn't have to spend money on it every month lol.

Back