So Long, FN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abazoo said:
I can kinda understand that some people like carefresh, but I was so glad I didn't have to spend money on it every month lol.
I would rather spend the money on carefresh then have people come in my house and say "Oh it stinks in here" which is what I say now! The material just isn't working. They chew it, go under it, lift it pull it.....you name it. It doesn't stay in place and it STINKS even with all my ratties litter trained! :doh:

Fleece reeks. I can never get it smelling nice again, despite all tricks. So I end up buying fleece, using it for 2-3 days, and then throwing it away.

Rather spend the 7 something a yard on something that will last longer and create less waste. HELLO Yesterday's News.

They chew it, go under it, lift it pull it.....you name it.

This is called mental and physical stimulation. It's very good for them to keep busy and be industrious. Keeps them healthy.
I change my fleece every two days and I change my Yesterday's News every day... it doesn't stink in my home with 28 rats.

Those using carefresh, keep an eye on the sneezes, it's a very dusty product.

jorats said:
They chew it, go under it, lift it pull it.....you name it.

This is called mental and physical stimulation. It's very good for them to keep busy and be industrious. Keeps them healthy.
I change my fleece every two days and I change my Yesterday's News every day... it doesn't stink in my home with 28 rats.

haha i heard Patrick shredding paper the other day and nesting and suddenly thought "...i didnt give him any nesting material...". he has started lifting up the fleece liners and stealing the newspaper i pack underneath to soak up any accidents (hes normally pretty well toilet trained). I have started giving him and Sid half a newspaper each. I just put the whole thing in and let him shred it all themselves.

I am changing Sids cage and putting his cage in a tray with litter, no more fleece. It is constantly wet and we wont move from it - even if i change it every day. There is poops all over my mums couch and table and she is going spare LOL

jorats said:

I don't find carefresh NEARLY as bad as this stupid walmart crap that I have to use (the price to pay for living 4 hours from the nearest pet store :doh: ). It's terrible. It makes ME sneeze when I put it in the cage. Once the dust settles it's fine I find.

Oh and Cait. Gimme your FN! My cage is stupid and smelly and rusting in places =(

I do have litter trays and use Crown Animal Bedding in them, it's a rare poop I find outside of them but pee is another thing altogether, they pee in their hidey-houses... For the rest of the cage I use newspaper sections on the cage floor. No sneezy stuff, no poky stuff on Fidget's bumblefeet & it's FREE! Quick, easy & cheap to change often which is a biggie cause one bumble is huge and bleeds sometimes and I worry about infection. And I put the advertising flyers on top of the newspaper in the hidey-houses so I can change Fidget's paper in her house twice a day without having to change all the newspaper. So easy... All in all it works great and is the best system I've come up with. (and mighty recycling conscious too eh? :happydance: )

I'm getting kinda sick of the poop all over the floor with my CN as well. The manage to get it in front of their cage too so occasionally I step on it which is gross. They don't really seem to chew their liners if I make them into a pillowcase style liner but if I just clip it down they go crazy with chewing. I'm trying to find a local metal shop to make me actual pans. I miss having bedding instead of constant loads of laundry. Plus no matter how well I shake out their bedding my washing machine still has food crumbs and sometimes small pieces of wood from their chewing on toys and such. I'm beginning to think my boys prefer bedding to towels because they is always one or two of them asleep in litter boxes and they LOVE throwing the newspaper pellets everywhere.

i clip liners on the levels but i gave up on the pans with scritter and her burrowers in there. i just sweep and wipe the cage in the morning when i get up and then again before bed. they have lots of blankets for each hut and to drag around and lots of hammocks. i find the cage does start to smell after a while but it takes a few months and once i do a deep clean it doesn't smell at all anymore. i change out fabric once a week and litter trays every 2-3 days and other then when it needs a deep clean the cage doesn't smell. we also vaccuum at least once a day here too. the litter (thank you chancey and maimae for your insaitable digging...) does get on the floor but high sided litter pans clipped into place help prevent most of the mess then the vaccuum gets the rest. now that i have two tied together it does get a bit harder to move the cage cause its really heavy on the carpet but its doable.

i wouldn't give up my cages though. they are too versitile and those removable large doors... i've dealt with small doors far too much, i like the big doors.

Back