Sneezing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two boys, they're brothers and two months old.
In some days, especially in the morning, the quantity of porphyrin on my ratties nose is just too much, it seems also as dry blood that can be cleaned out from them. But that's the only strange thing i noticed. They're breathing ok, they behave as always, there's really nothing else. Is this enough to be alarmed?

jorats said:
Porphyrin in the mornings or when first waking up is normal, they shouldn't have it all day long.
A respiratory infection could progress quite fast which is why we always ask should I or shouldn't I get meds. It's hard to tell really.

Well i guess this can be the answer, right?
Thanks a lot for this article, it's quite useful ^_^

Hey there... my baby is sneezing and i can't find out why. She has been sneezing ever scine i got her. There are no other sympomes other than the sneezing. should i go see the vet?

This article was very helpful with the care of my ratties. :)
If only I had read this a year ago. Eskimo died from the same disease last year when she was only but a wee newborn. Her immune system was so small and weak, since she was just a baby. She couldn't fight it off. :(
But thanks a ton for future reference.

my ellie girl has no top teeth and a hole in the roof of her mouth ( she was a runt at the petstore and i dont think they made sure her teeth were doing okay) she eats fine and what not but she sneezes alot is that because of the hole in her mouth and her bottem teeth are making her sneeze? we have to trim her teeth down offten as she's unable to grind them down herself she will be seeing the vet tomrow but i thought i would ask

A single sneeze can be the exact same thing can make us sneeze... inhaling a bit of fluff, an irritating scent passing by, etc.

When I first come home from work, bella get's excited and sneezes multiple times in a row for several minutes. It usually calms after this and we get a few sneezes while she is out during play time. It's been a lil worse recently. We recently started cleaning the cage different (using soap, water & vinigar, instead of just water and soap). We bought a bunch of new toys lately too. So yesterday we took out all new toys and started cleaning the cage with just water and soap. All my other rats just have the occasional sneeze, it's only bella with the most. Her breathing sounds fine and she eats, drinks and plays just like normal. I am a bit concerned even tho I just think it's the new items and maybe the time of year? I have jars of water next to the heater, and the room is not dry. I use yesterdays news and blankets. Oh I recently change their main food, could that cause it? I have a vet appointment tomorrow, just to make me at ease, espicially where RI spread, I don't want all nine getting sick.

She could just be a sneezer too? we will see tomorrow I hope.

Damit, I think I spoke to soon :(
lil Bella is acting more quite than usual, or maybe it's just me being paranoid?
Wish us luck at the vet tomorrow :heart:

I have 1 rat, willard.. who I am always paranoid about, I am so close with him that I think I'd never stop crying if I lost him, Id be broken. He is a year and 3 months and every since i have gotten him he has always sneezed.. he sneezes frequently throughout the day and sometimes sounds like he has a stuffy nose.. but i dont normally hear anything in his chest, it sounds very nazaly.. but he has ALWAYS had the stuffy nose every now and then and sneezes more then the rest of my rats.. quite a bit. I'm going to get him checked when i get paid but it just worries me... Im scared of waking up and hes going to be sick but he's ALWAYS had this..... so he confuses me.... :?

Back