Sneezing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

I recently got a dehumidifier (since I live in a basement apartment) and I now realise that getting the dehumidifier has coincided with my babies being sniffly...if their sneezing is due to the dryness of the air how bad is it for them?....like before my apartment was so bad it would take 2 days for wet towels to dry....I'd rather not go back to no dehumidifier so is it ok to have it on within reason or is the dryness really hurting them?

How dry is it? If your basement apartment is damp, it's best to have the dehumidifier. If it's not too dry for you, then it shouldn't be to dry for your ratties. It might just be your rats needing to adjust. Also, don't forget to thoroughly clean the dehumidifier.

Porphyrin in the mornings or when first waking up is normal, they shouldn't have it all day long.
A respiratory infection could progress quite fast which is why we always ask should I or shouldn't I get meds. It's hard to tell really.

thanks so much for the help by the sounds of it I'm pretty sure it is just my boys adjusting to the drier air and its probably partly my fault with my smelly perfume so I will no longer be applying it in my bedroom where their cage is and hopefully the sniffles with disappear...I have also just started to give them Echinacea but if there is no improvement then off to the vets we go lol

Shinobi breathes in a weird snuffly/pigeon cooing way lately, but only when he's sleeping with his head underneath him :S
Lazarus has been sneezing quite excessively lately too.

Do you reckon this is cause for a vet checkup?

I love this post. The new babysneezes a lot when I take her out of her cage, and I think it is the 'new house' sneezies. But it had me concerned....will be keeping an eye on her though, and keeping her upstairs away from the other girls just in case.

This was wonderful information. Thank you so much!! I am bringing my baby to the vet now to make sure she doesn't have any problems.

Sincerely,
Tammy Doucet

Very helpful. I'm thinking of printing all rat infos I can find to take care of my rats better. My poor Zumi still needs to go see a vet, she has major advanced symptoms and I really don't want to lose her, Sadly, I can't go see Dr Dunnett because my mom thinks my rats aren't important enough and can be replaced cuz they cost almost nothing and don't live a very long time. Pffftt... Yeah right... And she told me God was more important than I was... What a nice mom...

Enyways, I'll try doing my best for Zumi. Sadly enough, without the help of vets until I can reach Moncton.

Great thread. One of my older girls, Izzie, was sneezing - not a whole lot though. I realized she only did when she was being active, running and jumping around. I put a cold humidifier in the room and it helped. She still sneezes a little, but only when active, so I'm not too worried! :wink2:

I have the heat going a lot as I get cold easy, I know it can dry out the air and I have dry hands to prove it (I wash my hands a lot tho as I'm allergic to my kids) I have no dehumidifier or humidifier. What I do is fill a container with water and place it by the heat vent in the living room where the kid's cage is, it helps to put some moisture back in the air, and it's free & easy!.

Wonderful, my question has been answered. Both of my boys came home with the sneezes, but have stopped. Is there any better alternative to Carefresh bedding? It's dusty and I have to change it daily. Gives off that "wet dog" smell. Thanks!! :flowers3:

jorats said:
I think I would bring them in, get the vet to give a good listen to the lungs. If anything, it'll make you feel better knowing.

Thanks a lot Jo. I took my boys into the vet because Pockets was showing some signs of illness but the vet checked them both out thoroughly and didn't seem to find anything wrong. I have to admit I am a huge spaz though. Pockets comes out of his house first thing when I go to talk to him and Jasper and where he's beige and white I can see the porphyrin around his eyes and nose and I get so nervous. But he always just licks me then cleans off his face and looks at me as if to say "don't worry mum I'm okay"
I also changed their bedding to fleece and use carefresh only in their litter pan now so hopefully that will get rid of those nasty sneezes :p.

We just intro'ed Mini, a new baby girl from a pet store, to our existing colony of 4. Previously, Wuzzle was a bit porphy but overall seemed fine. Since Mini's arrival in the cage, Wuzzle has begun sneezing to a concerning degree. Lots of porph. She is still active and interested in food and in playing. None of the others are having any sort of reaction. Should I let Wuzzle go and just watch her for a while? Quarantine? Get her to the vet? Any concern for the others if she is getting sick? (Wondering why she is having such a strong reaction when the others are not affected. The orininal 4 all come from the same breeder...)

Has anyone had this happen before?

This could be part of stress dealing with the smell of a new girl in the home. I'd waited it out, maybe once she's friends with the new girl she'll relax and no longer feel stressed. But if you see more symptoms like congestion, then definitely need meds.

Back