Small bump rupture something coming out...not babies!! HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momofmany

I have a 326g female that had a small bump beside her vaginal opening and it has ruptured, very little blood, but now something is sticking out of it, PICS IN AN HOUR!!!

She appears to be doing the stretch of pain and I have only have Children's ibuprofen does anybody know what her dose would be??

She is not bleeding now and is eating and drinking normally. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch of intestine, vaginal prolapse, or other internal something is protruding from just beside her vagina!!

Will post pics as soon as I get camera card back in my possession!!

Thanks in advance for any info on this!!!

Wow, I have no idea what that would be. I would make sure she is on fresh, clean blankets. Make sure there is nothing that will stick to the area like litter or carefresh. A picture will definitely help! I'm glad she's feeling well enough to eat. That's a good sign.

Check on the fresh bedding...flannel and fleece...nothing in the cage to stick to "it". May have to remove her sister who likes to play and pin her!!

I am at loss as well I even showed her a picture of my Bindi's odd bump thinking it would look like that but nope. I am ready to see these pictures and still waiting to see if the childrens Ibuprofen will work or can be used rather.

victoria said:
It could be a prolapsed uterus I believe. Do you have a vet able to do spays?
:yeah:

Had an experience with that before. A frantic call to the vet was answered with "Keep that exposed tissue lubricated with KY Jelly!" :shock: Couldn't get a same day appointment, so as weird as it sounded, the lubricant was supposed to keep the tissue from dying off until the vet could deal with it.

It is hard to tell if it is from her opening or near it. I hope someone can see clearer. That is a new one to me.

Get a vet appointment as soon as possible.. and keeping it lubed as was sid might be a good idea as it might be very painful for that to dry out and crack!!! Im thinking a weird tumor, abcess or yes something inside is hanging out and needs to be fixed! Hopefully you have a vet that is experienced with surgery in rats!!

*Grumbles* Can't really tell either, hopefloats. But wherever its coming from, it looks like her inner tissue is poking out there. You'd want to get to a vet sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, keep that area moist with a water-soluble lubricant (seriously, the normal KY Jelly really works!). Inner tissue exposed like that is going to die off without it, and then you've got a bigger problem.

On the first picture her vaginal opening is just very slightly above "it" and a little to the right (looking at the picture).

The vet that did the neuters on my boys told me she was not comfortable doing spays!! I am trying to keep it together but it's getting harder! :gaah: Nobody in town (2 vets) will even see her!!!!!!!!!! The out of town vets will see her but more than likely will not do surgery...just SO NOT progressive here yet people have and give up rats more often than not...and I get them cuz they deserve a great life...am I absolutely nuts?????!!!

Does anyone have a math formula for giving ibuprofen? I was able to get some Infant Advil but don't know how much to give her *sigh*

Okay assuming it's the 40mg/mL and I'm estimating weight to be 400g she can have up to 0.3cc every 4 hours. I would probably give her around 0.2cc to start and go from there. The recommended dose is 10mg/kg to 30mg/kg.

smilez_n_hugs said:
Okay assuming it's the 40mg/mL and I'm estimating weight to be 400g she can have up to 0.3cc every 4 hours. I would probably give her around 0.2cc to start and go from there. The recommended dose is 10mg/kg to 30mg/kg.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that dosing info for ibuprofen!!! :hugs: And YES it is 40mg/mL. I am off do that now!! Little bug is so darn happy even tho she's doing the "pain posture"....Here I come Angele, momma is gonna try and make it not so ouch!! Oh! Angele just yelled back a thank you to smilez_n_hugs! :cuddle:

This is not an elective...she needs to see a vet to determine WHAT it is first, then its an emergency surgery...and probably has to be done or your little one will die. I am sorry you are dealing with a reluctant vet :(

Can you tell if the protrusion is actually coming from the vagina? One of my chickens recently had a prolapsed uterus. Surprisingly, the following worked wonders: I washed the area with warm water (most soak in a warm tub of water but she wasn't having anything to do with that), then spread polysporin and Prep H on the area. I did this a couple of times a day and the uterus quickly retracted. The chicken required antibiotics avail. at my farm supply store to kill any infections.

Officially, the vets in town (2) won't see her....period. I have a call into the vet about 2 hours away that did the neuters on all my boys, she is not in today, but tomorrow!! :gaah: and that's all the vet-age (I made that word up) there is... :(

Angele is doing all right, all things considered, but now I hear a raspy sound starting up! I had some doxy left from a couple of weeks ago so I started giving it to her last night. Angele is handling this situation better than her momma! :panic:

My foster girl managed for three days with a prolapsed uterus (and it was protruding way more than your girl's), and she did just fine in the end. Curse the limited availability of "exotic" vets!

So you have some time, but just keep an eagle eye on it.

Don't give Doxy from a couple weeks ago, it's likely expired and can harm her kidneys. (Unless you know for a fact it's still fine.)

Did you try the lubricant?

It looks a *lot* like a prolapsed vagina/uterus I saw on a cow once... I got to hold her tail up and out of the way while the vet did the 'reorienting'.

It's a lot easier to deal with prolapses in cows, if only because the structures are bigger - coat disinfected arm up to yea in soap flakes, and then just... guide it back to its rightful spot. Yicky I know. Obviously I wouldn't recommend even trying that with your girlie - besides the structures being tinier, they're also more fragile.

KY jelly would be the order of the day for your girl - don't use petroleum-based lubricants if she stands a chance of eating them. Barring that, some kind of oil like olive oil might be okay... and Shelagh's right, this is an emergency-surgery type of situation.

Back