Silver, He is gone.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moon said:
He should be on a phosphorous binder, as it is something you're avoiding!

Glad he's on subq, that can make all the difference. And I'm glad he's back home!

Oh I think I mentioned it in the other post but I didn't know what it was called, but yes, he is on that as well. Don't worry :D

And yes I am sooo glad he is feeling better ( this whole thing has been such a whirlwind and came on so fast) And Im sooo glad he is home, I cuddled with him for an hour when he came home <3

Cinderwolf said:
Moon said:

Glad he's on subq, that can make all the difference. And I'm glad he's back home!

Oh I think I mentioned it in the other post but I didn't know what it was called, but yes, he is on that as well. Don't worry :D

And yes I am sooo glad he is feeling better ( this whole thing has been such a whirlwind and came on so fast) And Im sooo glad he is home, I cuddled with him for an hour when he came home <3

Yeah, I saw that, but then a couple of posts ago you said, he's not on potassium, but on phosphorous... which is totally counter productive! If it's in fact a phosphorous binder, that is most excellent.

I was amazed at how fast it came on to Quita... she was fine one day and then the next day, she wasn't. It is so scary to think that they can be sick and not show us for so long.

Moon said:
Cinderwolf said:
Moon said:

Yeah, I saw that, but then a couple of posts ago you said, he's not on potassium, but on phosphorous... which is totally counter productive! If it's in fact a phosphorous binder, that is most excellent.

I was amazed at how fast it came on to Quita... she was fine one day and then the next day, she wasn't. It is so scary to think that they can be sick and not show us for so long.

Oh haha, then e probably isn't on phosphorus, just the phosphorus binder , then the other thing probably is potassium ( I have a poor memory specially for these kind of things) I\ll check later today to be sure. haha

Yes I didn't know he was sick then the morning I had to leave for Mexico, my mom said they were talking him to the vet. I get back from Mexico and find out he was in hospital for like a week, and is terminally ill :( Ugh can't they just stay young forever

Thanks : ), yup they fight sometimes like any good brothers but in the end they love each other. They bonded much more after our old cat passed a long while ago, since silver was so attached to him he could care less about Tigger, but now they are all each others got so they have to be happy with that : ) I love to see them cuddle :D

And I checked, he is on a phosphorus binder and potassium supplement as well as the iv every 2-3 days.And an ace inhiditor ( I dont knwo how to spell that haha) pill daily. And the low protein food. Haha Me, Tigger and my rats are the only ones in this household who aren't on a bunch of meds :thud: The 'healthy' ones lol.

I just realized I haven't given you guys an update for a while so bear with me while I fill you in.

Lets start by saying he is still going strong!
We have been feeding him and his brother the low protein wet food twice a day as well as the low protein dry food always available for them. Silver's has his meds and we try to get them to eat out of their own bowls, but it is inevitable that they share :wallbang: Trying to minimize this since Tigger should not be eating the meds and Silver needs his full dose. :gaah:

As far as the sub Q, it's... going. He usually gets half the fluids in him before freaking out and running. So instead of every 3 days like it should be, we have needed to give him smaller doses more often ( which he hates!) He still takes his pill like a champ though.

Anyways, we took him in to the vet for a check up last Saturday and they weighed him, he has lost about a half a pound since the last check up, Which is not stellar. Because of this we decided it would be best to find the lowest protein non prescription food to mi in with the medical stuff, so that he will be more enthusiastic about finishing it. Hopefully that will put his weight back up a bit and stop him from losing more.

They also did his blood work, His numbers are not better then last time, but they are not worse either.

So all in all he is doing alright. He sleeps a lot with us on the couch now, where as before he would always hide in the guest room or my sisters room. It is nice. But it also worries me, then again he worries me in general. I hate that they are so old now because I still think of them as " the kittens". We have pretty much decided as a family that if he need an extended vet trip , or he starts to go really down hill we will make the decision. My dad said he doesn't want Silver passing on without us there so if he is so bad that he needs to be in the vet for a few days that we will probably just keep him comfortable at home where he will be safe and happy instead of being alone and scared int he vet's office. ( God I'm crying thinking about this :sad3: I just feel like the end will come quicker then I want ( but that's not saying much,.. I want him to live to be a hundred ) )

BUT he is doing good, he is active and happy so we are not going to worry about this for a while hopefully.
Hopefully he will start taking his sub q like a perfect little kitty and will get infinity better.

I'll try to keep you guys more updated , I kinda forgot I had this Thread going actually.

So Silver is still a turd about his IV. He HATES it and usually is up and running before even half of it goes in. :gaah: did I not here that usually cats LIKE it cause it feel better?

Cinderwolf said:
So Silver is still a turd about his IV. He HATES it and usually is up and running before even half of it goes in. :gaah: did I not here that usually cats LIKE it cause it feel better?

when they are dehydrated, and the fluid goes in, and gets absorbed quickly, that does make them feel better

but when you are doing the fluids on a regular basis to keep them from getting dehydrated, they may not get the connection that this is what makes them feel better, because you're doing what you can to help them from feeling bad in the first place

one thing you can try is to wait a tiny bit longer between giving him the fluids so when they first go in, he sees the difference in how he feels.
OR if he has a favorite treat, just before when he usually wants to get up and take off, give him a tiny taste of that, and then a little bit more, to get him to stay in one place

if he likes tuna water (the water from a can of water) and doesnt' have any fish allergies, you could try giving him a tiny bit of that in a shallow dish, let him lap it up, and then a bit more etc

they usually just don't like to sit still for that long, cats are independent and stubborn and hate being "told" what to do :giggle:
so it's probably not about the fluids, but more about him just being a cat

:wink:

Petunia said:
Cinderwolf said:

when they are dehydrated, and the fluid goes in, and gets absorbed quickly, that does make them feel better

but when you are doing the fluids on a regular basis to keep them from getting dehydrated, they may not get the connection that this is what makes them feel better, because you're doing what you can to help them from feeling bad in the first place

one thing you can try is to wait a tiny bit longer between giving him the fluids so when they first go in, he sees the difference in how he feels.
OR if he has a favorite treat, just before when he usually wants to get up and take off, give him a tiny taste of that, and then a little bit more, to get him to stay in one place

if he likes tuna water (the water from a can of water) and doesnt' have any fish allergies, you could try giving him a tiny bit of that in a shallow dish, let him lap it up, and then a bit more etc

they usually just don't like to sit still for that long, cats are independent and stubborn and hate being "told" what to do :giggle:
so it's probably not about the fluids, but more about him just being a cat

:wink:
Ya we try to give him treats but that's mostly to get him to relax in the first place. He sometimes sits through the whole thing or most of it if he is super relaxed and it goes in easily, But if it hurts going in he definitely wont stick around. I don't really wan to wait longer.. I'd rather do what the vet says , just cause he can get so dehydrated so fast and I'm worried that if we leave it and he gets so dehydrated and refuses to sit still for a needle, it could be detrimental.

At any rate, we found he ill sit still if we give him an olive to lick ( in a dish so it doesn't roll everywhere lol ) He loves them, it has no protein and he ill lick it forever..

Tonight he got most of it which is awesome!

great idea with the olive!!

if you are getting most of the fluids into him, you're doing really well!
and you can still continue to encourage him to drink more, maybe add a tiny bit of extra water to his food, etc

there is no exact science to the amount of fluids a cat with failing kidneys needs, they just give a guide on the amount that should be enough to keep the toxins from building up

if his kidneys improve a bit on their own, or, lets say, he starts drinking more water on his own, he will need less fluids for that time period; and if his kidneys are starting to fail a bit more, he'd need more fluids to keep up with what they are no longer able to handle
make sense?

you're doing a wonderful thing for his boy, some ppl can't be bothered and just let the cat get sicker and sicker.

:hugs:

Petunia said:
great idea with the olive!!

if you are getting most of the fluids into him, you're doing really well!
and you can still continue to encourage him to drink more, maybe add a tiny bit of extra water to his food, etc

there is no exact science to the amount of fluids a cat with failing kidneys needs, they just give a guide on the amount that should be enough to keep the toxins from building up

if his kidneys improve a bit on their own, or, lets say, he starts drinking more water on his own, he will need less fluids for that time period; and if his kidneys are starting to fail a bit more, he'd need more fluids to keep up with what they are no longer able to handle
make sense?

you're doing a wonderful thing for his boy, some ppl can't be bothered and just let the cat get sicker and sicker.

:hugs:
Yea, It makes sense haha. The adding a bit of water might work, but he doesn't much like his food already, don't wanna make him top completely : P I think he drinks a fair amount ( we have one of those fountains that they like)

I could never watch him get sicker : ( We got him when he and his brother were just a few weeks old. Their mom was a feral cat and was so sick she couldn't take care of them, so the guy how owned the property the cat lived on let us have the boys and they took the girls. He and his brother grew up with me and my sister and they are like brothers to me. My babies <3 We are going to do everything we can to make him feel as comfortable as possible til he lets us know it's time. We are really glad he will see another Christmas.

Okay so update.
We took him to the vet today. They gave us a new technique for meds, instead of food, just syringe. hope to get more meds in him and less in his brother( since Silver eats his brothers food so Tigger is kinda forced to eat the meds) Also he has been acting a bit odd lately , running around in a frenzy licking himself and shaking his head a bit. he appears to be really itchy. Hoping the increased meds will help.

Got blood work back from the vets.. He is anemic. They want him on 2 shots a week ( anywhere from 20-40 dollars a shot).. We are decideing if we can do this or if we are just going to pass and let whatever happens happen. Just trying to give him all the loving he deserves for now. He is sleeping next to me atm. Send good vibes our way. We dont think he will be around for that many more months..

So my mother has informed me that On Saturday we have an appointment for him to be put to sleep. I knew it was coming.. He isnt doing good at all.. but I am still shocked and in tears. This is like saying good bye to a baby brother.. I grew up right along side of him and now he will be gone..

I don't want to think about it anymore.

Thank oyu all. I will post a memorial for silver.. in time. My family released some balloon into the air for my baby boy. The next day it was very sunny and beautiful out. He liked it I think.

Back