SHE HAD BABIES!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattiekins

A little bit ago I posted that my rat was pregnant as I had gotten her as a rescue [the guy ahead of me at the rat tank in petco was gunna make her snack food he walked off and I bought her]. well she had them this morning!!!! I don't know totally how many she has yet but for sure I saw four...I was thinking she was in labor last night and I was right! I moved my male[she was pregnant already so their friends and he's fixed] out of the cage and I was typing earlier this morning and heard the babies!!!. okay so um....I need every option of what could happen/will happen...how to tame them and every thing if she doesn't feed them what do I do....I'm all worried.

Normally moms do all the work. All you have to do is socialize the babies so they will be well rounded ratties. Mom will need a bit more protein, cooked eggs are great. And of course we here at the rat shack love to see baby pictures!!

I was in the same situation a week ago. You can see pictures of my babies on the thread "Jazzy had her babies!"
Everyone was worried that the babies didn't have a milk belly, but they are now 9 days old and still doing ok. I left mom alone for the first 24 hours as she didn't know me very well yet and I didn't want to stress her out. There are important things to take in to consideration regarding bedding materials and feeding mom lots of extra food & protein.
I'll let the experts fill you in......
Good luck!!!!!

Baby cereal is also a good addition to mom's diet, of lab blocks, and vegs.
You can check to see that the babies have good milk bellies.
There are a number of threads on here that follow babies from birth to at least 5 weeks of age - you might find them interesting.

Here are a few:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6979&p=96815&hilit=milk+bellies#p96815
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6369&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=milk+bellies&start=45

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2815&hilit=piper
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2830&hilit=piper

Don't use anything with threads as bedding material for the first couple of weeks ... threads can get tangled around little limbs and necks.

Hope to see lots of pics as the babies grow.

babiestwo.jpg

babies.jpg

That is a wonderful number......nice and small and with two little boys. I find it so sad when there is only one boy and when it comes time to seperate them he has to be all alone.......until he gets neutered or a new friend...

Awe, pinkies!

I've only raised one rescue litter. I took in Nammie and her 6 babies when they were only 9 days old. Mom does do a lot of the work herself, you just need to keep her healthy and get her lots of protein. Nammie loved scrambled egg, baby soy formula, and even a bit of cooked liver (gak).

I will warn you though. I was only planning to keep the three boys in this litter. I ended up keeping all three boys, Nammie and her daughter Scout.......and cried the day my vet adopted the two other girls. I almost kept the whole family. Luckily for me, I get to still visit Lyra and Pan often. I'll be honest, after you watch these little bundles grow fur, eyes and then personalities...it's REALLY hard to let them go. :wink2:

Back