Share your not CN or FN cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I just got my rats and I am a newbee rat owner (or "mom"). At first I had them in a big fish tank. I learned here that the ammonia fumes would be too bad so I now have a decent "alt" cage (I guess CN means "critter nation"). Well, I got a deal on a heavy wire gauge parrot cage, and I took it. So far I just put it together in about a half an hour wanting to get the rats out of the fish tanks right away. It is not very colorful. Sort of "neutral/natural."
P1020089_zps4a13eca6.jpg

The branches are rose wood (from a rose bush) and the hidey holes are cork and sea grass. I like the bright colors you guys use to decorate but I am more into calm meditative themes. This is a work in progress and will morph and grow as time goes on.

Ratlover2013 said:
^ looks great :)
Thanks, they are loving having 3 levels they can climb around on. They have been running around for several hours exploring. I am so grateful for this board so I can learn the correct way to have healthy pets. I will eventually get some hammocks and toys, but I feel this is a good start.

Optimist said:
Ratlover2013 said:
^ looks great :)
Thanks, they are loving having 3 levels they can climb around on. They have been running around for several hours exploring. I am so grateful for this board so I can learn the correct way to have healthy pets. I will eventually get some hammocks and toys, but I feel this is a good start.

I bet they love it! Rats love to climb :)

You're doing great :nod:

I love the natural look myself. Pastels and primary colours are great but natural just can't be beat. Looks amazing

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I love everyone's cages, but I think Optimist's cage looks the best with the neutral colors. I have a big, rather heavy, three-level cage. I don't know what company made it. I bought it used on Craigslist for $70. I think I got a very good deal on it. let me see if I can find a picture of it.

Okay, here it is.
umy5a8e9.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

no, it doesn't look very well decorated in that pic, and it's not. that was when I first got it, and I didn't have much in there. I'll take another picture to show later. it now has 2 hammocks. one is a banana hammock, which is on the lower level. there's also a wheel on the lower level. The middle level also has a hammock. the upper level has 2 food bowls and their water bottle.

I would like to get some PVC piping and build some tunnels for them to play in. I was thinking it would be really cold to build one on the outside of the cage leading all the way to the top. the cage now sits on a tabletop, and I have to stand on a step stool to reach the back of top level. they have a fair amount of table space to play on for out time.

^
^
Wow Pinky, that is a dream cage!

I also liked Fuzzy's idea of putting two smaller cages together to make one large cage with more rooms and levels.

Also thank you for the compliments about "the natural look" and my cage. I do really like earth neutrals and natural fibers so I may keep it this way. The rats don't seem to mind. At least I do not see small bottles with SOS's falling out of the cage.

Sorry I mean sterling rat and patches boo. I didn't see the name is in the square above. Pinky is just a level.

Thanks ratlover and Optimist. :D

I don't get those levels. Are they to show how knowledgeable you are with rats? How long you've had them?

I got some more pics of my cage but they're on my computer, and I can't seem to figure out how to post them without putting them on an image hosting site first. Booo!

well I tried emailing myself some pics of the cage, and they seemed to go through just fine, and I thought I downloaded them to my phone into my photo gallery, but I can't find them. :sigh: I guess I'll have to just upload them to Facebook first. what a huge PITA!

I took a couple pics tonight of my cage with my cell phone. a couple of them, especially one, didn't come out too good. Anyhow, here they are.
re2ymyme.jpg

here's a pic of the upper level which is basically the kitchen/dining room, although they will often sleep up there too, a lot of times right under the water bottle.
heguzymu.jpg

This is the second floor. The photo came out blurry.
3adadeja.jpg

And here's the bottom level.
a2u6y5us.jpg

Love how you have it set like a house! Kitchen, dinning room and bedrooms I sort of do that. Upper levels are sleep levels and bottom is feeding area/rec room or should I say wreck room!? Lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Thanks! its such a big cage, I have it set up on a good size table. its in a corner of my bedroom, and I can just open the cage doors in let the rats have free roam on the table, but they don't always take advantage of that. maybe because they feel they have plenty of room inside the cage, or maybe they're still not confidant nothing will happen while they're out. being in my bedroom is still relatively new for them. just a couple of weeks ago they were in my porch, but I didn't want to keep them in there because it can get cold in the winter, even though I have a heater out there, and I keep tropical plants out there. last year we lost power for 2 days after storm. fortunately we have a wood stove in the house and I moved all my plants inside, out of the porch. another reason I don't want them out there is because people who come to visit usually enter through the porch, and some of the people who come over are freaked out by the rats. :(

patchesboo said:

I don't get those levels. Are they to show how knowledgeable you are with rats? How long you've had them?

I got some more pics of my cage but they're on my computer, and I can't seem to figure out how to post them without putting them on an image hosting site first. Booo!

I have been using photobucket for years. I trust it, and it is easy to use. I have a blog for my art work and I would not like all kinds of people dialing directly into my computer at home, which is what happens if you do not use a photo hosting site. They gobble up your bandwith, it slows down your browsing, and also makes you more susceptible to viruses.

Optimist said:
patchesboo said:

I have been using photobucket for years. I trust it, and it is easy to use. I have a blog for my art work and I would not like all kinds of people dialing directly into my computer at home, which is what happens if you do not use a photo hosting site. They gobble up your bandwith, it slows down your browsing, and also makes you more susceptible to viruses.

I have a photobucket account, which is what I will be using to host my pictures to post here. I don't like to put a ton of pictures of my rats on my Facebook page, as most of my friends really don't like them, and they think I'm a nutcase for owning them. besides I don't like to share a lot of pictures on facebook publicly. I prefer to keep the pics on there private, for my friends only, at least most of them anyhow.

It saddens me that this thread is not active anymore. Anyhow here is my newly upgraded cage, fleece added!
2a0fa134f6247fbd9ad160d608724649.jpg
68dff7f57efb317c5a027a9bd1f29297.jpg
6d07825d98c3f4f6949d6465f89f19ec.jpg

Back