Serena's Thread - The End...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, so much has happened since yesterday! I'm glad you were there to take her right away to the vet's and so glad that your vet took care of her right away. She looks great today, so bright!
I think you need to bake your vet a batch of cookies, from all of us!, to say thank you for taking care of Serena! We have been hanging on the edge of our seats for what seems like an eternity, and are glad for a (somewhat) happy ending.

I was actually going to send flowers to the clinic as a thank you, with a card as well, and a picture of Serena in it. I'd bake them cookies but I'm not allowed in the kitchen. Chelle + kitchen = stuff on fire.

Her eyes are so bright. :D

Maybe she already knew that her babies had passed. My mom said that when she lost my sister April about a month before she was due she felt a change physically, she knew.

I've only ever dealt with one espay (with Minx). I was told she was about 15 days along, & when I brought her back she seemed perfectly fine emotionally. Who really knows for sure. In any case, I'm so happy that Serena is still with us. What a horribly scary situation.

Wow, what an intense story. I'm so glad to hear Serena is doing so much better already!

DSC_4338.jpg

I'd also like to nominate this for RPOM.
This story is a true testament to what this forum and all us ratty lovers are about. Fast thinking and the support of an amazing community can really help in these terrible situations. Way to be an excellent ratty momma Chelle; you saved her life, and I'm sure she knows that.

Exodog said:
Wow, what an intense story. I'm so glad to hear Serena is doing so much better already!

DSC_4338.jpg

I'd also like to nominate this for RPOM.
This story is a true testament to what this forum and all us ratty lovers are about. Fast thinking and the support of an amazing community can really help in these terrible situations. Way to be an excellent ratty momma Chelle; you saved her life, and I'm sure she knows that.

I had been meaning to nom this one, so Seconded!

Serena was fine this morning... suddenly tonight she was lethargic, cool, and puffy. Her incision was infected, but we thought it was a surface infection that could be treated with flushing and antibiotics. Sadly, the infection was too much for her, and she succumbed to what I'm sure was sepsis tonight.

RIP baby girl, you fought a good battle and we did everything we could... I'm so sorry. :sad3:

My mind is all over the place - I forgot to mention a few things that I probably should.

First, we did take her back to the vet on Thursday for a re-check because I smelled (and saw) the pus from her incision. So I didn't let it go unchecked. I just don't want anyone to think she never got vet care post-spay when I noticed something was wrong. But both the vet and myself thought it could be treated as an abscess would be. Clearly it had already spread very deep at that point - deeper than we could see.

I also should mention that I AM getting a necropsy done, so I'll let everyone know the results of that once that gets in.

Oh dear! :sad3: I am so sorry for your loss! :hugs: What a wild ride born out of love! :heart: This next little story never ceases to touch my heart when I read of yet another loss of such a loved and loving creature! I am not religious but this speaks to my heart... :heart: I hope it gives you a knowing smile when you read it! :hugs:

Rats, the Reason behind Their Short Lives

One day, some angels went to God, and asked him if they might spend some time on Earth, to learn, and perhaps to teach. He answered that some of the people might be frightened of them; that "His" children's idea of beauty, might not be of His own.

The angels replied that maybe those who could look past the differences deserved the blessings that the angels could offer them.

But God was still concerned. The angels needed Heaven's air to breathe; they would suffocate down on Earth.

The angels promised to hold their breath as long as possible, and would then return, when they could not hold it any longer. God agreed, and sent down the angels.

Many people were frightened of these creatures, despised them, and tried to kill them in great numbers.

However, the few who recognized the true angelic properties in these creatures, took them in, sheltered them, provided them food, and gave them love. In return, they received more joy and laughter, than they could possibly imagine.

But alas, soon the angels could hold their breath no more. After just a short time on Earth, they had to leave, and return to Heaven. Yet they were sure to tell the next group of angels, exactly who to seek out, when they descended on down to Earth.

- Author Unknown

What a shock... that poor thing. Hopefully your vet will see with the necropsy how to best deal with this type of surgical infections in the future. That cut should have been opened up and allowed to drain, sort of like how we tell people to not close up deep gashes and to not add polysporin on them, they must remain open.
I'm so very sorry Chelle...this must have been hard for you. ((hugs))

Back