Serena's Thread - The End...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her belly definitely looks funny in those pics (compared to what I saw in person on Tuesday).

I'm sure Chelle will be on to update ASAP but I do know that she rushed Serena to the vets this morning :( I will let her give you guys all the details.

Just heard from Chelle....Dr. G had to do a c-section and unfortunately none of the pups made it, he said they were all deformed in some way :( . But Serena made it through the surgery and is recovering well.

Poor Serena, hope she continues to recover safely.

I only wish the people who let her get pregnant could see the pain they have caused.

Poor, poor baby... good thing you find a good momma with good instincts and experience...

Rest well sweety and get back to being playful now that your ordeal is over.

And to your momma - you can finally get some rest. It's not necessarily a happy ending, but at least Serena is safe and you don't have to worry about finding a home to those babies. Good call, chelle :hugs:

Serena is home now recuperating from this whole ordeal...she is so skinny. I'm sure there's tons of ensure and baby cereal and other yummy things headed her way :heart:

Oh goodness, poor Serena :/ I hope she has a speedy recovery, and returns to her old self quickly. What a stressful ordeal for everyone, but atleast she's safe at home now.

Thank god Serena was in good hands. Following your gut instincts and rushing her to the vet saved her life. It all turned out for the best.

I'm finally home again, with Serena in tow.

What a crazy day... I woke up to tons of blood all over Serena's cage, and one dead baby in the corner. I panicked, was barely able to get dressed, and was out the door so fast. Her belly and vaginal area were COVERED in blood. At Dr. G's we took a wet piece of gauze and wiped her down, and literally huge clumps of blood were coming out of her vagina. She had lost a lot of blood at this point, and was cool and lethargic. I was panicking of course. He took her in right away for an emergency c-section. We had whole team of vet techs lined up to work on the babies as Dr. G was working on Serena. As soon as he opened her up, he clamped her off right away and took the uterus out, and passed it along to the vet techs. I was waiting anxiously at the back of the room.

They cut open the uterus and each vet tech grabbed a baby to get to work. They had oxygen, heating pads, etc. already set up, and I rushed over to help. There were only two babies alive out of the womb. One took a few breaths, then passed. The other one we were able to get breathing for a few minutes, probably about 7 or 8 minutes, but he passed too :(

Serena recovered well, and was monitored for a couple hours before we brought her home. She's now safe at home and very exhausted. I've given her lots of snuggles, baby cereal, ensure, etc. Everything yummy and happy.

Dr. G was really amazing. He stayed over 2 hours after he was supposed to go home to do the surgery on Serena and be there for me. He really is such a compassionate vet, I'm so glad he was able to save her.

Edit: I forgot to mention the deformities... almost every baby she had in her womb except for two were very majorly deformed in some way or another. One baby was developed from the head to around the lower rib cage/waist, then had these tiny shriveled legs and half a tail... almost as if someone had "deflated" him. Another baby had a large growth on it's side, almost like a conjoined twin... it was all very strange. I think it was for the best that none of them lived, as I can imagine even the ones that LOOKED okay, probably had internal deformities.

Poor you and poor Serena :( Glad to hear she is ok and that's she's recovering...and even happier knowing that you got her in the first place. Not many people would have given her the love, care and attention she needed (needs)

Back