Roquefort finally on Zithro

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

Roquefort responded BADLY to the Chloramphenicol and when I took him to the vet to learn how to give him his shots, he freaked out! (We hadn't even given him the shot yet!)

Needless to say, I told the vet tech that there was no way in h*!! that I was going to put my boy through that so he is FINALLY on Zithromax!

He has been on Benebac for 1.5 weeks to help rectify the trouble he's been having with diarrhea. Slowly but surely, he is starting to poop somewhat normally again.

Other than that, he is hanging in there. He has some days where he is not active at all, and just sits in his bedsheet box watching the others powergroom each other. :D

I try not to pity him and I think I do a pretty good job. He likes to lie in my arms and get his jawbone stroked. He HATES it when I have to clean his little backside with Kitty Wipes but he's figured out that mom is going to clean him whether he likes it or not, so he just deals with it. :roll:

Some days I think I'm going to lose him and some days I think he's going to be around forever. It all revolves on how he is behaving.

I wonder if my little fuzzbutt knows what a rollercoaster ride this is! :cheeky: It's ok. As long as my boy still finds enjoyment in living and is not suffering, I have no problems in caring for him. :love6:

Awww... poor sweetie. Ya, shots aren't very good with rats. I sure hope the Zithro works, you might want to keep him on the Baytril too as a combo.

jorats said:
Awww... poor sweetie. Ya, shots aren't very good with rats. I sure hope the Zithro works, you might want to keep him on the Baytril too as a combo.

Sorry Jo, my bad.

Roquefort is on Baytril and Vibramycin for life. The Zithro is an additional med. :)

jorats said:
Oh that's good!

I'm still worried about him.

He still seems to be breathing hard, even when he is cuddled in my arms.

He still inhales all of his baby food/teklad/olive oil&Med mash ( :giggle: ) but he just doesn't seem to be feeling well. :sad3: I'm keeping a really close eye on him. The Benebac is helping his little tummy digest better so I do find some comfort in that.

jorats said:
Do you find he's lethargic? The fact that he's eating so well, that is a good sign.

I wouldn't say he is lethargic, Jo, but he no longer shows the kind of active interest he used to.

He will come out on occasion but the exercise takes alot out of him.

I'm just really worried that the meds are not beating out the myco enough. He gets his meds every 12 hours. Is it normal for him to be breathing heavy when I come to give him his meds?

It just seems to me as if the meds should be covering him better in the "in between" times. Maybe I'm wrong but it is really disconcerting. :(

RatsForever said:
Scrtiches for little Roquefort. I found Zithro worked miracles on my Oliver once it kicked in. Best wishes.

Thanks so much. :hugs:

There is a special bond between me and Roquefort so this is a very hard time for me.

The Zithro ends on Wednesday. It was prescribed because the vet was worried about meningitis. Should I ask her to keep him on it for the myco?

jorats said:
I always do a month of Zithro.

Then I will do a month of Zithro too.

For a little man who can't walk.... Roquefort continues to be a little glutton.

This morning he inhaled his baby food, med, glucosamine and olive oil mash and then topped it off with a whopping teaspoon full of brown sugar oatmeal (not the instant oatmeal).

He wanted to stick with mom during her morning ritual so he was parked on the kitchen counter where he promptly found the chocolate chip I lost last night. :roll:

He has been off of the benebac for almost a week and he is finally pooping normally! :bunnydance:

(sorry.... but the subject of "chocolate chips" reminded me..... :laugh4:)

Roque got cleaned with a kitty wipe and then cleaned my nose in appreciation. Albert and Buddy help him with grooming but he still needs me to intervene on occasion. Pristine little rat men don't like wearing their pee stains.

He gets combed with a flea comb on a daily basis since he can no longer scratch what itches. He LOVES that! He will lift his little face and close his eyes, brux and lick my fingers.

I made some apple juice/distilled water and watched him suck up 5 syringes full of the stuff before peeing all over his new paper towels.... just call me Einstein. LOL!!!

I wouldn't let Roquefort wallow in any kind of depression when he started having health issues and it seems to have worked wonders. He can't run and play with the others, but he perches himself in his bedsheet box and watches. Sometimes he is honored with a powergroom followed by a nose in his butt cheeks. :shock: Ok.... so I don't understand the logic of their actions.... but as long as Roquefort is enjoying himself, that's all that matters. :mrgreen:

Sweet! He's certainly a most pampered rat. Many people feel sad and depressed when their rats lose their hind end mobility but if you watch the rat, they do very well and adapt quite fast. I've had so many develop strong upper body muscles and continued to move around quite fast while dragging the rear.

:joy: :joy:
So glad he is doing so well.

If he is having breathing problems, an anti-inflammatory, or bronchodialator, or lasix (if he has fluid in his lungs) may help.

I made a hair raising discovery last night when I was feeding Roquefort.

He has a HUGE bump just underneath his chin. It was not there a few days ago so I am hopeful that it is just an abscess.

It is hard to the touch and he doesn't like anyone touching it.

It is not hindering his breathing and he can eat although he is slower than usual with his baby food.

I am (trying) to give him warm compresses and have put him on Meloxicam (in addition to his Baytril, Vibramycin and Zithromax)

I do not want to take him to the vet again. He has grown to loathe the trip and is wary of me for 2-3 days after a visit.

Pray that it is just an abscess. :sad3: I can't imagine that a tumor would be able to grow so fast.

Roquefort is not as interested in things anymore but he does love his feeding, cuddle and scritches time with me. :heart:

He still eats everything I give him and licks my fingers when I plant little kisses on his head. Last night he curled up under my chin and let me massage his back legs for him.

Despite all the food he gets, he is as thin as a rail. He doesn't seem to be suffering any pain or discomfort other than his chin bump which he tends to regularly.

I can't help feeling like my boy will be leaving me soon. :tearful:

lilspaz68 said:
You have tried a diagnostic with heart meds to rule that out?

Awww poor Roque...I wonder if he's got a tooth abscess going on? Does his open mouth smell bad?

He was at the vet a month ago and his heart was in pristine condition. He has no funny smells or bad breath. I made a point of sticking my nose right in front of his nose and mouth and he is a sweet smelling little ratman.

Back