Re: Harlan Teklad $1,000 minimum - Maybe Good News??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MumsyRat

:eek:mg:
I just got off the phone with the Harland Teklad people (because I'm placing an order this week). They told me that the minimum order is NOT going up to $500. It's going up to $1,000.
surprised-040.gif

We are screwed ladies and gentlemen. :gaah:

The only way we're going to get our hands on Harlan's food is if we form some kind of co-operative buying group or if we can get in good with a research facility that let's us share an order with them.

Does anyone have a thinking cap that's in working condition so we can come up with a plan?

:no: This is terrible. Did you ask them why they were doing this?
I just don't understand why they don't want it available to pet owners.

They said that their products were formulated and are intended for the research industry and they don't like that it has been starting to become commercially available outside of the industry. Their logic baffles me. If people want to buy their product why hurt your profit margin by cutting out such a large market of eager buyers?

I think it may have something to do with Sprague Dawley buying them out. They're a mega-breeder for the research industry, right? Maybe their Board of Directors just doesn't like the idea of animals lovers benefiting from their industry? I just don't know! :roll:

I was going to say, someone should make a pitch to Ren's to start carrying it guaranteeing them that there's a huge market for it. But if HT don't want it commercially available then that wouldn't work either.

Oh no! this is terrible :(

I guess this is our last run for awhile :( Poor little buggers are going back on Mazuri...hehe.

Are you trying to arrange pickup for Friday this week?

jorats said:
I just don't understand why they don't want it available to pet owners.

Because it is a giant pain in the behind to them.

They can sell hundreds of thousands worth to labs, they don't want to bother piddling around with $100 or even $500 orders -- sadly. It takes time and resources away from their larger target market. :( Just for example the feeder breeder here that I used to get food from (and I guess will be again) gets 4,400lbs of rodent blocks at every order. And I'm sure labs probably go through even more than that.

It was never supposed to be a commercially available food.

My rats really like the Harlan though, this sucks.

Elizabeth -- I sent you an email btw confirming my order, and never got a response back. Did you get it? :)

:gaah: If it was $500 like they originally said it would be we probably could have done it within our group. My order for next week is already at $425.00 - that's between 12 people.

P.S. My pick up date is currently set for Thursday, December 20th barring some unforeseen catastrophe!

Last call for orders!!

Can you post up a list in a separate thread of everyones names and their orders?

I gave my local rat friend your email you have in your signature, as he would like to place an order as well.

This is terrible! There just aren't enough high-quality food out there for rats, this is a major set-back to a lot of people!

I can call a friend of mine, who has 10 rats, and see if she's interested in going in on it. That may give you some additional $$$. Is this order still on though?

I hope you find a way, I know in Denmark there is 4 reptile-people who buy 1000 kg every month of a specific rat-food and they sell it to 'normal' ratpeople, so maybe you should consider looking for big-time-snake-people to do business with (didn't mean to be un-morally, just a sugestion 8) )

I wonder if it'd be possible to start ordering in bulk from one of those stores in the US? Would it be possible, or would the shipping kill us? *still bitter about the $85 shipping charge for the Ferret playpen from martins*

If someone goes to the states every so often for some reason or another, it may be possible to pre-order from one of these stores, given there's a store reasonably close to Canada. An idea, if anyone gets desperate enough for HT. :cry:

I am only an hour and a bit from the border, and there are places where you can have stuff shipped to and go pick it up yourself on the other side of the border. It is much cheaper than having it shipped into Canada

That being said, I looked into it and it is about $50 to have a full 33lb bag shipped up to the border. +gas and travel time on the way down and back.... It just wasn't worth it for me to do that even.

If Elizabeth put the word out that she was ordering and shipping across Canada I bet she could easily fill the $1,000 order but I don't know if she wants to do that or if she could even transport that much food. It would be a huge commitment on her part.

Perhaps that could be an option. Maybe once a year, everyone can get together and place one large order and have someone pick it up. Also, take into account gas, shipping, etc. If it were once a year, that may not be too bad. It's a possibility atleast. :)

Back