Raw feeding for dogs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard that mixing a kibble/raw diet is not recommended. The foods are processed at much different speeds and causes lots of stomach upset.

My friend who feeds raw does feed fish, I'm sure, I'll have a peek at her emails and see if I can find out more. Have you tried tripe yet?

As for the mess, is it possible to feed them on a an old blanket so that you just wrap up the whole mess when you're done? (After you've shaken the bits off outside!)

Jennw said:
I've heard that mixing a kibble/raw diet is not recommended. The foods are processed at much different speeds and causes lots of stomach upset.

As for the mess, is it possible to feed them on a an old blanket so that you just wrap up the whole mess when you're done? (After you've shaken the bits off outside!)
I know many Greyt people (people who one Greyhounds that is) that feed both kibble/raw and NO stomach upsets (which greys are notorious for). They are usually doing kibble with green tripe. You can try that, Maple.

My dog at home won't eat raw, she won't eat canned and if very selective about the kibble she does eat...So I don't both with her anymore. Some dogs just don't want to switch.

lilratsy OMG Smilin' pit I love those people. I love their dogs, their site, their mentality! They're regime seems pretty good. I don't like to buy commercial raw too much (I don't buy any for the cats) because you still don't know where their meat comes from. I think it's a good way to start into raw, when you're doing it longer you'll figure out what works for your pooch, for example I had a website or three when I started and now I just use one free-range chicken, one jar of baby food, one egg and my organ mix. The cats don't get sick on it and look spectacular!!

Jenn I'm going to put a mat down for my cats and see how that goes. They are currently on a placemat but they take they food to the carpet in the next room everyday (which is disgusting and has to stop).

Lil, it sounds like it could be a very good route to go for beginner raw feeding. Sounds like your forum is a good one! Chicken backs and carcasses can be a great source of boney goodness.

Maple, yes, fish can be used. There are differing opinions on feeding raw and kibble at the same time, but I do it successfully with Tungsten, he gets one kibble day, one raw day, etc etc. He gets his bone based meals outside only to help with the cleanliness factor, otherwise he'd insist on eating on the couch! You can feed pretty much any kind of raw meat you want to, Tungsten eats anything but the one thing that doesn't work for him is ground beef. One thing you can try in terms of a fairly inexpensive and HIGHLY palatable raw option is Raw Green Tripe, which is super healthy for them. Here's a link to a great site that sells lots of raw things including tripe: http://www.freewebs.com/awesomepaws/index.htm ... looks like they're starting a forum which could be a good source of ideas on getting the dogs on raw.

Green tripe REALLY doesn't bother me that much, LOL. Like, I know it smells bad, but partially digested dog kibble that's been thrown up smells MUCH worse. This sounds weird but when Tungsten throws up a raw meal it just smells like meat, not icky like acid saturated kibble!

I heard that feeding dry and raw can be done, but there should be at least 3hrs between the raw meal and the dry meal...or at least that is what I have heard. I have also heard that you can just switch from dry to raw, it does not have to be gradual...

all my dogs are fed a BARF diet. its actually very easy and much better for the dogs. id never dream of feeding them commercial food, i love them to much for that.

Well this is really interesting stuff I'm reading. I have been slowly switching from kibble to raw in 1/2 cup amounts which isn't good according to what I've read.
This is alot harder than I thought as I figured dogs would eat everything....just not true. Fish seems to be out of the question, they just won't eat it (except tuna). I even tried shrimp & crab which they roll around in their mouth and then drop on my floor. :emb: I know the green tripe is excellent for dogs but I can barely deal with the fish at this point. Moon I like the idea of feeding outside, but do you do this in the dead of winter as well?
I am so lost with all this, maybe I should take a break and start all over when the weather is nice. That way I can put the dogs outside and just toss that god aweful stuff out the door. That works. :thumbup: Hummmmm, with any luck I'll train my dogs to only eat when the weather is good. :giggle:
I can tell I need lots of help and a very good teacher.
NOTE: That site looks pretty good Moon, that will be the first thing I read.

Moon said:
This sounds weird but when Tungsten throws up a raw meal it just smells like meat.
I have a really really stupid question......are you ready for this one and please excuse my ignorance but when he tosses his "raw diet" cookies, do you let him re-eat it?

All three of my cats and my dog are on a raw diet. Cats have been on raw for 2 years or more, and the dog for over a year. They are all doing great, the health changes have been amazing. Particularly my older cat: about 14-15 years old when I started switching her. She was arthritic, wouldn't/couldn't jump, glazed over look in her eyes, hard to keep good weight (gained too much weight so put her on a diet then she lost too much weight, constant weight roller coaster), and LOOKED old. Got her switched, and she's a completely different cat. While still arthritic (some calcification around the last couple of her lumbar vertebrae), her movements are a lot easier, she moves a lot more, and actually jumps again! The shine came back to her eyes, no more glazed over look. She holds good weight now, is lean not "doughy" (read: fat). She is now 17 years old, and no one will believe me, the oldest anyone believes she could be is 12 years. She's in good shape, my no-BS blunt vet said she looks *really good* for a 17 year old cat.

My dog is in good shape too. Prior to the switch she had a lot of gassy issues and tummy upset. It was hard to keep weight on her - she was always way too thin and if I fed her more she'd just throw it all up. Her coat was dull and she had dry skin/dandruff issues, plus she smelled. Now, she holds good weight, is all lean muscle, she still has gas every now and then, but the issue is restricted to when she gets extremely nervous as opposed to all the time for no reason. She keeps her food down better (only having throw up issues when she gets overly excited), and her skin and hair are in good shape.

All the animals' energy levels have gone way up. My two younger cats are around 6 years old, and act like kittens. They are both in really good shape, lean muscle with good skin and coats. They all have very nice teeth too, clean, white, and strong.

I feed the "prey model" diet: ratio of organ, bone, and "meat" (read: everything else, mostly muscle but also fat, skin, connective tissue, etc). Their diet is composed mostly of human-grade food, and those non-human grade foods are still of good quality (simply not human grade because they aren't approved for human consumption, like green tripe, but still from reputable, clean sources). I am actually part of a co-op. The co-op purchases in large quantities and get GOOD discounts for it. Once a month we place our orders, and a couple weeks after orders are placed with pick them up. It works out very well. I have an entire freezer (estimated around 21 cu ft) dedicated to pet food, to make sure I have enough variety and quantity to not run out. To feed my three cats and a dog costs an average of about $2-3 a day. That's less than it cost me when I was feeding them kibble, and they are in much better shape for it. I'm never going back! :)

Maple said:
Moon said:
This sounds weird but when Tungsten throws up a raw meal it just smells like meat.
I have a really really stupid question......are you ready for this one and please excuse my ignorance but when he tosses his "raw diet" cookies, do you let him re-eat it?

Absolutely! He usually only throws up if he eats too fast, and he's quite happy to gobble up again LOL

And yes, he eats his bone meals outside, even in the dead of winter. If the weather is just too nasty and I can't change his dinner for the night I'll take his blankies out of his crate and make him eat in there, and then clean the bottom of the crate really well. In a pinch I've even had him eat it in my tub, LOL.

Some butchers will do raw meat for dogs that has the bone ground right in... a lot of the commercial raw diets are done this way and it's a good way to get around the whole "dragging body parts around the house" problem. I know the Bruno's in Pickering does this, 5 lbs of chicken, turkey, beef or lamb with BONE IN for about $7.

Even though the green tripe is gross, it's so healthy and I don't think I've ever heard of a dog turning it down, so it's REALLY something to look into.

Sorraia, I need to find more raw feeders that I can buddy up with for big orders, and get a big freezer, LOL

My dog ONLY eats outside, because of the mess. It's sooo much easier to clean linoleum or tile than carpet, but of course my dog won't keep her food in the kitchen. Of course... here in Southern California, we only have "winter" so leaving her out to eat is never a problem.

My cats... the two females are good about eating out of their bowl. My male... he HAS to eat on the carpet. When I get moved into my house, I'm going to get him a placemat, and leave him in the laundry room to eat... then I can just toss the placemat in the wash and not worry about it any more.

Back