Rat runs frantically around cage. Help needed!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phycomantis09

So, my rat yeti has these random "out bursts". It started when my dad hoovered. He hooved around when yeti ran around on the walls of his cage and didn't stop for 5 seconds then stopped dead still. He was wide eyed and as stiff as a board. We had an hour of cuddles till he came back out of his shell.

He did it again but with no loud noises. We don't know what it is or how to treat it. If you can help please comment. His brother doesn't know what goes on. Here they are:
PXL_20230727_144657256.MP.jpg
Yeti is the top one and voodoo ( his brother). They are happy and healthy. Please help.

its obvious that the rat was freaked out by the sound of hoovering! Wouldn’t you be? Don‘t you ever expose him to that loud noise again.

So, my rat yeti has these random "out bursts". It started when my dad hoovered. He hooved around when yeti ran around on the walls of his cage and didn't stop for 5 seconds then stopped dead still. He was wide eyed and as stiff as a board. We had an hour of cuddles till he came back out of his shell.

He did it again but with no loud noises. We don't know what it is or how to treat it. If you can help please comment. His brother doesn't know what goes on. Here they are:
View attachment 16636Yeti is the top one and voodoo ( his brother). They are happy and healthy. Please help.
If he does it again can you try to get it on video? I can't quite remember how old you said they were but there's a chance he could be having seizures and it was a coincidence with the vacuum. Or it could be entirely fear based, especially if he's younger, since they're PEWs(pink eyed whites) their vision is more than likely worse than black eyed rats, he could have been on edge from the sound and saw something that scared him, how far apart were the fits?

2 months apart and I'll try.
If he does it again can you try to get it on video? I can't quite remember how old you said they were but there's a chance he could be having seizures and it was a coincidence with the vacuum. Or it could be entirely fear based, especially if he's younger, since they're PEWs(pink eyed whites) their vision is more than likely worse than black eyed rats, he could have been on edge from the sound and saw something that scared him, how far apart were the fits?

Back