Rat Resort Cage As Temp - Which Martins for TWO boys?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is the cage I am going to have for Badger and Ryder after Ryder is recovered from surgery:

Badger is in it right now while Ryder rests because his tumor got torn this morining :(.

Right now I just have them in a small rabbit cage, one level. They were rescued out of hamster cages. There was 6 in one hamster cage and 4 in another (Ryder and Badger were in with 6). So I guess this rat resort is much better than 6 in a hamster cage?

Ratty Momma said:
So I guess this rat resort is much better than 6 in a hamster cage?

yes, it is much better. LOL
The cage is large enough for two rats if the space is used wisely.
However, it isn't a very good cage for rats.
Rats really need more horizonal space, at least 30 inches by 18 inches, imo.

I have a lot of trouble with boys in that cage. A couple of small girls would be okay, but it just doesn't have the floorspace for males long term. BUT it is way better than hammie cages, obviously. Some people have problems with the door popping open

I know its not the ideal cage ..but It's only a temp cage until I figure out what I'm doing (I may be adopting Ryder and badger)

I've used my rat resort for almost every rat that came here lol Kaylas girls stayed in it, then Ash and Loki, Chester spent a night in it and Bobby and Chuck spent a good while in theirs. Myself, its an ok size cage for 2 rats, except the bottom is too narrow. There are a million other cages that would be a huge NO for rats, but this one is acceptable for short term :) I'm sure if you adopt the boys, you'll figure something out for them :)

I just got rid of mine lol I have 3 cages now, not 5 :happydance:

Martins cages are REALLY expensive to ship to Canada. Some of them are awesome, but REALLY expensive. Can you modify the rebbit cage you were using a bit to make it better for rats? That would certainly be a cheaper alternative for two rats.

Awh, he looks so cute in there. <3

While obviously it's not the ideal cage (I'd personally say anything less than a CN or large Martins cage isn't ideal), I really liked it. You'll find the small door annoying, especially since you're used to the big CN doors, but I actually just started taking the cage part off to clean the pan in the mornings. It's just two clips on the sides. If you do decide to adopt the boys, I think PU should be doing at least one more run of CN/FN cages before the end of the year, if you wanted to get them into a single CN. I'd keep the Rat Resort for future fosters either way. If I hadn't gotten the double CN, I'd've been happy for my boys to stay in it.

The rabbit cage is not very high Victoria, the rat resort is much better IMO.

I don't want another CN, as I already have a double. I could split my crew up, and have them in half the CN ..but I don't want to do this either.

Ratty Momma said:
I know its not the ideal cage ..but It's only a temp cage until I figure out what I'm doing (I may be adopting Ryder and badger)
Hehe, how did I guess that this might happen ... :giggle:

No advice for you on the cage front, but it'd be lovely if Badger and Ryder become your fur-kids. That way, we'd be sure to get tons of photo updates ... :stickpoke:

My biggest worry about letting them go somewhere else is that tumor will grow back ..after growing through all this ..Id hate to see him go esp in this state because of the lack of rat knowldge in this town! and not to mention I have fallin madley in love with these two :heart:

My BF has to make the final call though ... so its not confirmed yet.

LOL, that's precisely why my hubby refuses to let me foster hamsters any more. I took a rescue hammie to my vet to get her leg amputated (she was from a neglect case), and I fostered her during her recovery period. Of course, by the time her sutures were taken out two weeks later, she had my heart wrapped around her tiny little paw.

You better tell your BF that all of us here on the Shack highly approve of the boys living with you!

Thats the one I was looking at! for me to order it powered coated and flip top it would be $185 shipped!

Ratty Momma said:
Thats the one I was looking at! for me to order it powered coated and flip top it would be $185 shipped!

I have the R680 for Bobby and Chuck... I got a photo here somewhere....

aef8d6c7.jpg

Super cage! I love mine, so much that I won't get rid of it LOL And when not in use, it folds down nicely. Make sure to factor in the $70 cost from UPS :)

I love it Donna!

I think I may have to go with that cage! but I have to save for it first! I do have money, but thats for my vet fund! they should be okay in the rat resort for a month or so!

Here's the fleece I picked up for the liners! The store here has slim pickings, most was teddy bears or redish fabric lol I did get the blue print and green fleece though!

8a2be3dd.jpg

I'll start these ASAP, I hope to get them done and shipped Monday, since I'll be on my way with Chester tomorrow :)

Back