? Rat no longer using hands to eat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaryCayden said:
My vet told me haley was suffering when she stop moving and started bruxing and boggling at the end. Don't let them suffer its horrible to watch.

The bruxxing and boggling is actually as victoria said, not a sign of pain, but possibly a sign of pressure. The brain gets pressed on producing all these strange symptoms, the stiff forelegs poked out front (PT Pushback), the inability to grasp with front paws, the excessive bruxxing and boggling (this can be one of your earlier signs), the involuntary head bumping when you stroke over their head, the confusion, the inability to judge distances (like where exactly the waterbottle is), an involuntary pull to one side or the other when trying to do things.

In a normal rat, bruxxing that is loud and grinding IS a sign of pain, but not with PT, so you can rest easy about that MaryCaden.

MaryCayden said:
My vet told me haley was suffering when she stop moving and started bruxing and boggling at the end. Don't let them suffer its horrible to watch.

I've gone through so many PT cases here and each time, I've never actually seen any pain. My vet agrees with me as well, there is no pain with a typical PT case.

Thanks guys. Ben is still with us, but is hardly moving, won't pick his head up anymore - so when I put food out, I put a bunch on the ground and he glides over it and munches away very slowly. It's so sad, though, as he struggles to eat on his own (I've been helping him). His eyes are hardly open now and they're all red :( He seems to freeze up and is floppy, almost as if he's completely relaxed and that is so not Ben. Tonight, I was taking the skins off his peas and hand feeding him and it takes him so long to eat anything now, like he has no strength. He can't do the rat blocks anymore. And I was also so proud of my 8 yr old daughter b/c I forgot all about checking his privates since he can't groom himself anymore. Sure enough, there was a huge plug and we worked at it with a wet cloth and she was able to remove it gently for him. He seemed very relieved and he smelled so badly (probably b/c of it) so he got a nice bath, his nails clipped, and lots of loving.

I am going to see if I can get him in on Sunday and we'll probably PTS then. It is so hard to see him in this condition. He's bruxing a bit, but not too bad. When I put him in the right position, he will try to groom himself though he's hardly able to do it. Do you guys think it's time? My main concern is that he isn't feeling good. I don't mind giving him extra TLC or helping him through things, but I if he's miserable, then it's time IMHO.

What do you guys think???

Also, what kind of food could I give him that he would enjoy and that would be easy for him to eat. He's not drinking, even when I offer him water with the bottle or my finger. I was dipping cracker bits into water and giving them to him so he gets some hydration. Should I syringe water down his throat?

You could syringe Ensure by putting the syringe at the corner of his mouth or water too. You know your Ben and you will make the right decision for your sweetie. I'm so sorry, I know it's hard.

Great advice, Mamarat. I just finished giving him some strawberry and creme immune balance ensure and he LOVED it! He was like a little nursling at the syringe. It was very cute and I got him to take some water on his own afterwards, as well. When his belly was full, he did the happy eye boggle (at least I hope that's the one it was). But he and I feel much better now. Don't want him to be hungry. He's all tucked in for the night in fresh fleece blankies and maybe tomorrow will be a better day for him. Feel like I have a better handle on keeping him comfy for now. So thank you and I'll pop back in with updates. :heart:

The exotic vet has been out of town so no, he didn't get put on steroids. She is coming back to work tomorrow and is supposed to call me tomorrow morning. She will be in the office tomorrow, but honestly, I don't even know that Ben will make it through the night. He has progressed so quickly - I can hardly believe it. He is pretty much comatose now - eyes remain shut, he doesn't move at all and is very floppy. We've been keeping him wrapped in blankets, but are making sure he's not too warm and he sounds real gurgly now as his breathing is pretty labored, almost like little snores with his nostrils flaring. This morning, he took a bit of ensure but a few hours later, didn't want any. I tried to syringe him some water a few minutes ago, but he is no longer swallowing so I am just trying to hold him and love on him as best I can. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and we are keeping the house peaceful for him. I would prefer for him to pass naturally in the comforts of our home, but if he is in any pain, I want to PTS. So that is my concern now. From what most people have been told, PT is not painful, but how do we know for sure? Once in a while, I see his cheeks fluttering, but I don't hear teeth grinding.

If he makes it through the night, should I take him in to be PTS? I know with people who are dying of natural causes, there is a hormone that is released near the end that prevents them from feeling hungry when they are not eating and I would assume that animals have this miraculous mechanism, as well? I want to be humane about this and find myself struggling over the peacefulness of passing this way at home versus ending it for him. With his brother, it was painful so we PTS, but he seems so at peace right now. He is focused on his breaths and conserving his energy. Thoughts?

Here is a photo of him this morning - eyes a little open...

And here he is 12 hours later :(

Well, Ben is still fighting to hang on. I checked on him twice in the middle of the night and both times he had somehow managed to shimmy over to a different location about the length of his body, though most of the time he is like dead weight and non responsive. He is gasping for breath a bit, with his mouth opening so we are taking him in at 2pm to be PTS. I just don't know if he's suffering or not and don't want to see him struggling so hard to breathe, ya know? That has to be scary and when he's so weak, it must be taking every ounce of his focus and concentration.

Thank you guys for your advice and for just being a shoulder for me, yet again. As a dear friend told me, "Once our beloved pets walk across our hearts, they leave their footprints behind in a spiritual way despite being lost to their physical bodies." I feel it...I do. :(

Well guys, 15 min before we left for the vet to PTS, his breathing stabilized and he looked so peaceful sleeping there in my arms. I got that feeling in my gut that he wasn't ready to pass yet, so I cancelled the appt and snuggled with him.

He was still alive this morning so I cleaned him up and gave him some loving and kisses. I put him down for about 30 minutes, telling him that's it's OK to let go now, and he passed away in his own bed in his own time. I think he was waiting for me this morning to give him those kisses before he felt it was OK to finally meet his brother on the Other Side. So RIP my baby Benny. I hope you're running and playing and eating again with your brother Luke.

Here's one of my favorite photos of these two in their prime! Such handsome boys...

And thank you to everyone for your support during this difficult week. :heart:

Awww, that's great that he was able to pass in his own bed at home. It does seem like that sometimes they wait for us before passing. I'm glad you really got to say goodbye before he crossed the bridge.

Back