Rat hoarding North Texas-need help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Rataholic
Hey all. I know we are all stretched to our limits but I am calling out on behalf of some ratties in need that were rescued a few days ago from a hoarding situation. The person who put them in this situation was feeding them (as well as many other animals) cat food and keeping them concentrated in smaller cages. Thankfully few of them are in really poor health. There are 48 that were voluntarily surrendered but the rescue coordinator has reason to believe that there are more. She has of course reported the woman and hopefully action will be taken soon to get everyone else out of her care. She is even feeding her rabbits the cheap cat food...herbivores!

She has 5 children, some of whom are special needs and most of whom sleep on blankets on the floor because she doesn't have enough beds for everyone. Her front door is off its hinges so anyone could walk in. This woman really needs help. So do these ratties.

If you can help with any care packages, daily needs and such like food, toys, hammocks, cages, litter, etc please PM me and I can send you the address. I will be posting a donation account here soon too. One of the ladies of the JARRS rescue will be giving me a link soon.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Stephanie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I live in Colorado - If you send any up our way, let me know. Also if JARRS is a Petco-partner I can try to get some donations together.

Thank you!

Ugh. Turns out several of the little ones have megacolon. Going to be pts in the morning.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Well we just got back from putting the babies to sleep. They did it very interestingly and I kind of liked it. They put isoflourane on some gauze and put the baby's face near so they went to sleep, then they put the baby and the gauze in a plastic bag so they basically overdose and quit breathing. They were asleep. It was peaceful.

I have never heard of doing it this way and have no idea what they experience or not. I hope they just drifted off. Poor little ones. Thank you for helping them along - never an easy task. Rest well babies.

What is wrong with people and where is Children's Welfare to check on those kids..?! Our funds are pretty much depleted with our own boys and a trip I planned years ago for our nephews (I cannot be the aunt that broke their hearts), but I can probably come up with items to ship.

The rescue coordinator said she had to bathe everyone when she got them because they were soaked in pee and feces. Since the majority are young they don't seem to be having any respiratory issues as of yet, just digestive issue with megacolon and several who are failure to thrive. All the little ones are small and overweight. You can see skeletons on many. We have 6 week old babies that are the size of 4 weekers and 4 weekers that are the size of 2 weekers. They are literally the size of a peanut in the shell. I am planning on taking pictures on Sunday. We catalogued everyone today. And took plenty of breaks to give smoochies to the ones who wanted them.

Pictures of the babies in better conditions. About half have homes already. :D

ge7ahusy.jpg

Young boys
vyda3a3y.jpg

Young girls
rytydenu.jpg

New babies born yesterday
rudu2yge.jpg
yzutugyq.jpg

Believe it it not...about 4 weeks old :(
unusyhy7.jpg

One if the nakie girls has an eye infection
unu4u3aj.jpg

This one not doing so hot. Warmed it up and there was improvement. Here's hoping he/she makes it.

I will post more pics later that I took with my camera. I took those above with my phone so I could post a few right away.

I see nakies..... Wish I was closer - don't plan on any additions until after October, but could make an exception for emergencies..

Well we lost a couple more of the older babies that were failure to thrive. I think we only have 3 now. We did have another litter of 10 born though. Sadly, 5 have already passed. 2 of them were squished by mom it looks like. It is so depressing to witness the long term consequences of their experience. Good news though, is that we have adopters for about half of them. I'm even taking one. :)

Back