rat chatter forum

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, there have been some serious privacy legislation put together recently - PEPIDA, that also covers what is and isn't allowed to even be requested by third parties. I wouldn't be surprised if the rat chatter forum admin is in breach of those laws even asking for certain pieces of private information.
It could definitely be shut down for denying people from joining because they are not forthcoming with those private details, especially if their storage techniques for that information are not up to the specifications that are in place.
Maybe someone should suggest that they become familiar with PEPIDA.

lilspaz68 said:
Zooy said:
Thanks jorats for giving us a basically rule free forum.

THAT's what you think.
batbeat.gif

Heehee

mods.gif

I am so scared, I best run away from here. I am such a bad rattie mom. :cheeky:

Well Christina, I am for one very happy we have your experience and knowledge on this forum. Just like we have Lilspaz, Jorats, Mamarat and Morats, Vanessa, SQ, etc etc etc etc. Who most of those mentioned AND others have been banned from the other forum AND the Rat Chatter. We are the lucky ones here.

I find that the years of experience we have in this forum is very important to the health and welfare of our babies. Vet tech or vet, yes they are indeed knowledgable. But sometimes they don't see what someone who's had rats for 5+ years would see. It depends on their training. A vet might be an exotic vet and indeed treats rats, but that doesn't mean they know everything. It's so important to have the ideas come from everyone because we as a group might be able to come up with something that a single vet cannot. I would never once ignore advice from the people on this forum, doing that is just not right in my opinion. And scary as well.

youve just voiced what ive told people for years. our local "exotic" vet hasnt owned any exotics, currantly owns cats. to me that its really hard to comment on a species thoroughly when you dont have first hand knowledge. i think thats why i am more valuable as an employee not only have i owned dogs but many small furries have shared and come through my home. now i havent owned cats but i have looked after(petsitting) and worked closely beside a good many cats and have learned more intimatley about their behaviours that way.

Knowledge is power and control. When you have advice and knowledge, from others with experience, you are in a better position to go into a vet and have a two way conversation on how best to treat your animal, and what the treatments mean. There is nothing wrong with understanding what the vet is discussing with you, nothing wrong with being interested in how things are going to work and all the options available.
That is what members should get from forums, not free medical care, so it doesn't matter what your credentials are. Nobody is trying to treat your animal, because that is ridiculous and would be against any vets policy. You give advice, and hopefully that makes others equipped better to make the best treatment decisions when they visit their vet.
The fact that Rat Chatter, and Carole's forum too, work very hard to curtail every single piece of medical advice, makes them a bunch of lousy dictators who obviously have their own best interests in mind and not those of their members animals.
People are better off finding another forum before someones animal dies because of them.

From what I've seen, the other forum seems to have a "get them before they get us" attitude - and this can only create tension and bitterness. When you go through life constantly expecting the worst from people, that's usually what you end up getting. Treat people with fairness and respect and, nine times out of ten, that's what you'll get in return from them - that's always been my experience, anyway! :D

theratlady said:
since i have discovered revolution i have never wanted to go back to ivermec. the critters i have lost was from a vet(before a tech) prescribing it for them. when did use it on my own i had no problems but still in young rats its too hard to give a correct or safe amount.

I just stick with revolution as well and avoid ivermectin. One of my vets said ivermectin can cause seizures in cats if you get the dosing wrong and so I won't take that risk with the rats, especially the paste ivermectin.

BTW Mercurydust, Revolution also kills mites, fleas etc in the pets bedding, so it has the extra benefit of that as well.

So basically a pair of people decided to start a forum, and also decided that they will highly regulate what gets posted. In doing this they set up a "stringent" screening process whilst they themselves do not provide formal qualifications to the readers of this forum. Furthermore, anyone who breeches these extensive and tedious rules is deemed a troll! How absurd is that! I imagine that only their friends would put up with this nonsense for very long or more likely they would be exempt from the rules seeing as they are friends.

It seems like these people are more concerned with not being criticised or disagreed with, as opposed to genuine rat care or welfare. Why else would they lurk here and monitor what people say about them? What ego maniacs... don’t they have anything more productive to do with their spare time?

Vanessa said:
You know, there have been some serious privacy legislation put together recently - PEPIDA, that also covers what is and isn't allowed to even be requested by third parties. I wouldn't be surprised if the rat chatter forum admin is in breach of those laws even asking for certain pieces of private information.
It could definitely be shut down for denying people from joining because they are not forthcoming with those private details, especially if their storage techniques for that information are not up to the specifications that are in place.

So true, would you trust these people to send them your private details.

Dewi said:
Vanessa said:

So true, would you trust these people to send them your private details.

absolutely not and i told her that someone could use my info or copy my certificate and use it!!

the way the rules are set that you have send in your credentials and that they can give them out to anyone at any time if they deem it necessary, does it strike anyone else as a phishing scheme...?

twitch said:
the way the rules are set that you have send in your credentials and that they can give them out to anyone at any time if they deem it necessary, does it strike anyone else as a phishing scheme...?

Most definitely. It also makes me wonder how easy it would be to forge the info they require, go on there, and yammer on and on about nothing that could possibly be right.

Also, just because you're a vet tech doesn't mean you know anything at all about rats, or any other small creature for that matter. The most knowledgeable person I've ever talked to about chinchillas runs a rescue. She knows every dosage of every medication that a chinchilla could ever possibly take. I'd probably trust her more than my vet in my non-school town.

Moral of the story, people fake credentials all the time, photoshop is a wonderful tool, and even if you are a real vet it doesn't mean you're more knowledgeable about rats than anyone else.

twitch said:

We have every right to be concerned about how our personal information is collected and stored, but we must be careful not to jump to conclusions like this. There is no evidence, whatsoever, that this is a phishing scheme or that the information collected is being used illicitly.

KMG365 said:
twitch said:

We have every right to be concerned about how our personal information is collected and stored, but we must be careful not to jump to conclusions like this. There is no evidence, whatsoever, that this is a phishing scheme or that the information collected is being used illicitly.
no, i know. i'm not saying it is, but it does seem suspect to me is all. i just wanted to know if i was the only one thinking it..

KMG365 said:
There is no evidence, whatsoever, that this is a phishing scheme or that the information collected is being used illicitly.

For safety reasons, people should always assume that any and all personal information that they give is going to be used illicitly. That might not be the intention of the people requesting it, but it is often the outcome anyway.
People who request that information have a responsibility to ensure that it is safe and cannot be used for purposes other than what it is intended for, and I doubt very highly that rat forum administrators have the proper structure in place to ensure it's safety. Unless they have those safety measures in place, they should not even consider requesting it. It is irresponsible to do so, and that is why more onus is now being put on the people requesting it.
Once something is given, especially over the Internet, it is done and gone and you are never going to get it back. Because of that, both parties have to take equal responsibility for it.

Twitch, I didn't mean to imply that I had a problem with you stating your concerns -- I just wanted to make sure that no one thought we were actually making allegations of this nature against the other forum.

Vanessa, I think you made some very good points! :D

Ridiculous.
They want credentials so the source can be trusted but shouldn't they still be leery? People can claim whatever they wish on the internet. Quite honestly they shouldn't be relying on forums for information regarding pharmaceuticals that you need years of schooling to understand fully. For a quick fix until you can get the animal to a licensed veterinarian, that's fine, but no one should make a habit of consulting the internet for medical advice. Forums are great to find people who love the same things you do and to offer support for one another and tips from experiences and whatnot but that shouldn't require reference material.

It really isn't worth your time or stress, back away slowly. :wink2:

Back