Quarantine!! (How I learned the hard way...)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get that lasix, those sub-q fluids, and even some dex or pred...see if she responds. She's young, she's very sick, but she has a chance. Its horrid to watch, but even if she was just regularly sick, you would still have to wait for the meds to kick in. I think if she gets more air and some fluids she will feel better overall.

My thoughts are with you and your beautiful surviving babies :(

My new worry is that she doesn't appear to be swallowing the meds, and gets worse after administration... so I worry that she is aspirating them. Is this a possibility in this scenario? I hope not. An aspiration pneumonia on top of everything else.... would be... ugh.

Maybe I will ask for all injectable meds along with everything else.

Yes, it's a big possibility. :(

When you do administer it, go to the side of the mouth, just inside the side lip, squirt the meds in and hope for the best.

With Melissa, I didn't dare squirt anything in with the syringe. her breathing was even worse than poor little Cleo's, and I would have probably choked her. I put pediatric electrolyte drink on my fingers and persuaded her to lick a little off. With the meds I had to wipe it on her mouth a little at a time. She would lick it off.

Of course it was painstakingly slow, but it did eventually work. By the next morning she could lick some meds out of a dish.

Good luck! My heart goes out to you.

What gauge needle do you usually use on a rat? Off the top of my head we have 21G and 23G butterfly catheters.

Debbie D. says to use a 25 gauge needle for rehydration because it takes too long for sterile saline to go through a small gage needle. She says (p.14) to warm the syringe of fluid and test on your arm to make sure it isn't too hot. She says you can give up to 6 mls at one time on each side of the rat, every 4 hours until she is hydrated. (p. 14)

She says you can also give saline in the rectum where it will be absorbed by the colon. "First warm the saline. Lubricate the tip of the syringe (without a needle) with petroleum jelly and gently insert it into the anus. Depress the plunger gently to avoid injuring the colon. You can give up to 2 - 3 ml at a time, depending on the size of the rat, every hour or two." Rat health Care book, p.14

I have never rehydrated a rat ... just giving you the info. in my book.

I really need to learn how to give SQ injections. Melissa would have recovered a lot sooner if I'd been able to do that. Maybe I could have kept Corrie with me a while longer, too. Maybe my vet would give me a lesson.

As for giving saline via the rectum? :shock: Great idea in theory! Can't imagine a rat sitting still for that, even a half-dead one.

Well I contacted the pet store and they are paying for Pixie's initial vet bill. :roll: Better than nothing, but the money isn't even what is important....

School wouldn't let me miss any time today, I called they said no (first day of these classes), and then I had class until 5. So I wasn't able to get to the vet before close. I will be there tomorrow though for my surgical practicum.

Cleo continues to look marginally better, which is a good sign. She is grooming and trying to keep herself cleaner, and is now climbing up on the bars when I come over (yay!). Her breathing still sucks though. But one step at a time.

Tevy has diarrhea I'm guessing from the baytril/doxy but she can't clean herself so it is all over her backside until I clean it. I have no idea where to get Benebac so I'm just going to try Yoghurt to see if that helps. Hopefully.

Lise may I be able to use this story with two groups I belong to on Facebook. This is a good thing for everyone to see the importance of quarentening.

Lise said:
Well I contacted the pet store and they are paying for Pixie's initial vet bill. :roll: Better than nothing, but the money isn't even what is important....

School wouldn't let me miss any time today, I called they said no (first day of these classes), and then I had class until 5. So I wasn't able to get to the vet before close. I will be there tomorrow though for my surgical practicum.

Cleo continues to look marginally better, which is a good sign. She is grooming and trying to keep herself cleaner, and is now climbing up on the bars when I come over (yay!). Her breathing still sucks though. But one step at a time.

Tevy has diarrhea I'm guessing from the baytril/doxy but she can't clean herself so it is all over her backside until I clean it. I have no idea where to get Benebac so I'm just going to try Yoghurt to see if that helps. Hopefully.

So so happy to hear about the lovely Cleo feeling a bit better. :thumbup: Grooming is a good first step. :D

For Tevy's diarrhea you could try to get the live culture yogurt, or even acidophilus capsules at the health food store. :) I would put her on the BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast) to see if that helps her poor tum feel better and her stool to firm up. Awww sweet Tevy, she's an awesome girl!

You're all fighting, which is good...its exhausting but its good. We're all here with you Lise!

lilspaz68 said:
I would put her on the BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast) to see if that helps her poor tum feel better and her stool to firm up.

Wouldn't that be counterproductive? If a rat is fighting off something, wouldn't it need all of the proper nutrients to help fight and repair in the body from regular rodent food?

I can't imagine the BRAT diet would be nutritionally complete.

I wouldn't change the diet either, not now... but some saltine crackers can help harden her stool, give it as a treat, the no salt ones.

Lise said:
lilspaz68 said:
I would put her on the BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast) to see if that helps her poor tum feel better and her stool to firm up.

Wouldn't that be counterproductive? If a rat is fighting off something, wouldn't it need all of the proper nutrients to help fight and repair in the body from regular rodent food?

I can't imagine the BRAT diet would be nutritionally complete.

I was told that the diarrhea was even worse for them than a diet change for a few days. Its a very easy to digest diet. You just keep them on it until things improve on the mucky end :roll:

Diarrhea is really bad for them because of dehydration and the discomfort of cramping and the danger of them not being able to clean themselves well enough when they are sick.

The BRAT diet sounds pretty tasty, which is important for a sick rat. Brown rice and WW bread would add some nutrition, but the apple and banana are certainly nutritious.

Back