Quarantine!! (How I learned the hard way...)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lise

So, it looks like I have learned the hard way why you should always quarantine. I am posting to remind others, even if you think your area is safe from disease... even if you think the rat looks perfectly healthy... please please quarantine in a completely separate airspace for 3 weeks. Learn from my mistakes!

I have never heard of any rat virus being in Manitoba before. And I do not know if this is what I am dealing with now. After work today the vet and I spent 1/2 hour going through textbooks, and apparently some strains of the bacteria S. pneumoniae can also cause acute respiratory failure and death. At first I just thought I was dealing with respiratory problems like I dealt with before, but this has become so so much worse.

I had generally healthy rats before. Then I adopted a young rat from the Humane Society. I was supposed to get a rat from a breeder to be her companion, but that fell through. She is so young, I thought she needed a friend her own age! Since my other youngest rats are 1 year old. So, I caved and got a rat from the local pet store. I even asked the origination of this rat, and it was from the terrible mass mill feeder breeder in my province. But she was adorable, and seemed healthy and perky and a total sweetheart. So she came home with me to be Bella's new friend. We named her Pixie.

Approximately 1 week later, Pixie became ill. Very ill. Respiratory problem in her lungs (pneumonia). I took her to the vet right away to get antibiotics.

2 days after that, I came home to find one of my big lovely boys stretched out not moving, sides heaving, eyes totally dull. I was afraid he was going to die in front of me, and I rushed him into my work to be PTS. He wasn't a young rat, at least a few months over 2 years old. I thought old age had finally just taken him away from me.

That was until the next day, when I came home to find his brother Seagram exactly the same way. Actually even worse, because Guinness at least ate a farewell Yogie very slowly and painfully.... Siggy wouldn't even touch a Yogie. I rushed him in to be PTS as well. This is when I started to realize more may be going on here.

Yesterday, Cleopatra was not moving and sides heaving. Now, I realize the nightmare that is happening. She is only 1 year old!! And this all started after that new little rat Pixie came into my house, and then fell ill. This morning I got baytril & doxycycline to start ALL of my remaining rats on. Cleopatra looks terrible, she is open mouth breathing *gasping* and has lost 30+ grams of weight, but I am praying that she can hold on until the meds kick in. Please, please Cleo hold on.

Today every single one of my rats (3 others) is porphyrin, and sneezing, and beginning to wheeze. I am having nightmares that I am going to lose them all. And all because I was tempted by the cute little perky rat at the pet store. And my poor Tevy who is 30 months old and tumor ridden, but enjoying her life... I am sickened to think I may have shortened it.

The one glitter of hope is that Pixie has been on antibiotics since the 31st now, and she has responded well and is ironically now the "healthiest" of the rats. So I can pray that the others respond the same.

I am trying to find out if there is somewhere in Canada or even close by in the USA that we can send out a blood sample to test for a virus. And if another rat dies the Dr. at work has recommended that we send it out for a post mortem which I agree with. I wasn't thinking clearly or I would have done that with one of the boys.

So no matter what this is, a virus, a strain of bacteria, or some nasty Mycoplasma... You can't imagine the guilt I am feeling, and trust me you never want to experience this. I thought I would never have a problem, especially where I live! With hardly any pet rats. I was so wrong. :( Please remember to quarantine, or realize that you are risking all of your rats.

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses! It's so very sad! :cry:

When you were checking for possible diseases did you consider parvo? I wonder if it can be transmitted to rats?

I would say the best place to send your sample for testing would be the University of Guelph. As far as I know it is the best veterinary research facility in Canada.

What happened is terrible but please don't blame yourself. You acted in good faith and with good intentions & what happened seems almost like a 1 in a million long shot.

**Hugs**

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry about your loss! I have such a tough time losing one rat, but to have gone through so many so fast... :tearful: I just can't imagine... I hope that the meds work fast and well, I'll be praying for you and your ratties! :praying:

What a horrible event. I'm so very sorry Lise.
Unfortunately, Guelph is not all that great when it comes to diagnosing using tissue samples for rats. Your best bet would be River Charles Laboratory http://www.criver.com/
but... I do believe that the blood must come from a live rat, unless that has changed now. I tried that several years ago, my vet sent tissue samples to Guelph and they came back saying they don't have enough on small animals to identify. But I do know that people are sending their samples to River Charles. My vet didn't want to draw blood on a sick rat so we didn't go through with it.

Sending you and your sweeties lots of healing vibes!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your furkids.

While I'm unsure of how prevalent Sendai is in Canada, I believe it's actually more common than SDA is. Your time frame and symptoms sound remarkably similar to the article. The treatment is the same, as are the tests needed to provide a real conclusion.

http://ratguide.com/health/viruses/sendai_virus_sv.php

I'm so sorry. That is truly a worst nightmare, to see beloved pets struggling to breathe and to lose so many so suddenly.

Please don't blame yourself. Just about everyone finds themselves taking a chance like that; if we didn't, many rats would not have been rescued and many rats would have had to live in isolation. Quarantine is ideal, but not even possible for many of us to do.

Would your vet consider prescribing a bit of Lasix and Ventipulmin for anyone who is gasping? Lasix probably saved my Melissa's life, getting the fluid out of her lungs so that she could breathe well enough to rest and to get the benefit of her other meds.

Thank you all for your support.

Cleopatra has had 3 doses of antibiotics, and while far from out of the woods... does look marginally better than last night. She was able to swallow most of her meds that I syringed in this morning, whereas last night she was just choking and gagging on them. She has also stopped making the scary choking for breath noises. And is moving around now to come out and see me instead of just laying immobile.

Tevy's breathing seems relatively okay but her eyes were completely crusted shut this morning from excessive porphyrin. I had to wipe it all away for her to be able to open her eyes.

The RADIL lab looks like a good bet... lots of tests included for not that much money. And you only need a tiny tiny amount of blood. I am going to print that and bring it in on Tuesday to see if we can possible send a sample there. I will have to wait for another week or so though so that antibody levels can build up and be detectable on a test...

This is Cleo this afternoon -- she is hanging in there:
SickCleo001.jpg

I just took a 1 minute video of Cleo if anyone wants to see. Click on the link. This is better than she was yesterday, but still far from great.

Oh that is real costal breathing...your poor Cleo. :( I was having trouble breathing watching that. Is she older or a young one?

I assume you've done fluids and possibly something to open those airways?

((Hugs))

Is her face swollen at all? From the picture you put up, it almost looks like her chin/throat/cheek and the top of her head are swollen. I don't know if it's just the angle and her fur, but worth a feel over, maybe.

I'm in tears for you and your precious babies. I can't imagine how heart-sick you are right now. I can only say prayers for you all, and hope that everyone can get thru this and heal.

Must be so hard for you watching her breathe like that. It gave me flashbacks to the way Melissa was the other night.

It's hard for me to comprehend what it would be like to have several rats in that kind of distress.

Best of luck and healing vibes to your poor sweeties.

I'm with Shelagh. Just watching her breathe is physically painful to me. And I feel awful for you because I know what you are going through. We are all praying for you and your darling girls!
others-301.GIF

lilspaz68 said:
Oh that is real costal breathing...your poor Cleo. :( I was having trouble breathing watching that. Is she older or a young one?

I assume you've done fluids and possibly something to open those airways?

((Hugs))

Thanks for the Hugs, Shelagh. I need it right now!

Cleo will be 1 year old on January 14th!! So, she is young.

I haven't given fluids parenterally yet (just by mouth), but I will see what supplies I can get tomorrow. Also maybe a shot of steroids at this point is worth a shot. Or some lasix like someone else suggested. I don't think the vet will give me that without an xray though to confirm there is fluid.... which I don't even know if there is.

The thing is, if she is still like this tomorrow.... I don't know how long I should let her suffer. You know? Do you think she is suffering badly?

It was easier to make the decision to euthanize with the boys, because they had at least already had a good long life.

I just feel very very helpless right now. If it was a dog or cat at least the animal could be hospitalized until they are stable, IV fluids, IV antibiotics, oxygen kennel, etc. I just feel like I am watching and doing nothing.

Back