Puffin Has A Tumor/Successful Removal 02.09.10/Its back:(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a wee photo of Puffin after her tumor removal yesterday :D .

DSCN3989.jpg

Well Puffin has been doing great and nearly all her hair has grown back but now I can feel a small lump where she had her lump removed and it feels the same as the first lump did when it first appeared. I havnt had her at the vets yet as it only appeared the other day. When she had her first lump removed I was told by the vet that he would only operate on her the once. So now I am worrying that if I take her to the vets that they will want to put her to sleep. She is only 19 month old and is so bright eyed and so full of live so I dont know what to do :sad3: .

Unless the lump is preventing her from moving around so she can eat, drink, and enjoy life, there's no need to think about euthanasia yet. See what the vet says and go from there, but if he/she sees that she has recovered well, they may reconsider their earlier position. I've had two tumour removals on rats before, and they bounced beck after both surgeries, although I would suggest waiting at least 6-8 weeks between surgeries to let her fully heal internally and externally between surgeries.

Like Victoria said I would not be thinking of euthanasia yet. Even if the vet won't remove this lump (are you sure it's not scar tissue from the first op?) this tumor could be slow growing and your girl have quite a few more months with you. Sending good thoughts.

My first thought was that it was scar tissue but I think that was wishfull thinking because you could hardly feel the scar and then this lump appeared. Is there anything the vet can give her to slow the growth or anything I can do to?

I'm baffled that your vet can make that decision. It's not his alone to make.
But... You should keep her on a very low fat diet as well as no sugar at all. These two foods actually promote tumor growth.

There is the possibility that it is an abscess, being in the same location as the previous surgery. Even though she was on baytril, it can happen.

Back