Puffin Has A Tumor/Successful Removal 02.09.10/Its back:(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petitepuppet

My girl Puffin has a tumor under her front leg. She has had it for awhile now and it dosent seem to bother her. When I first noticed it, I took her to the vets the next day and we decided to leave it because I dont think its paining her. Problem now is that it has grown to about double the size within the last 2 weeks and I am starting to worry that it may start to affect her movement because of where it is. I am going to contact the vet tomorrow and want to talk about having it removed. Everyone keeps telling me that it would be totally unfair to have her operated on and that the kinder thing to do would be to have her pts. I dont know what to do now and I dont want to be cruel to her by having her operated on but I dont want to have her pts because she is still healthy and I dont feel that this tumor has effected her at all.

So I would love to hear someone elses opinion and know what anyone else would do.

Wow, that's very harsh advice. Over here, if the rat is in good health you get the tumour removed, no questions about that.
The only things I consider for rats and surgery is the health of the rat and the experience of a vet.

She is 18 months old and she have never had any health problems.

Also just thought I would say that its not the vet that thinks it would be cruel to op on her, its my family and friends.

The vet is more than happy to remove it and has done several tumor removals in the past.

If you've got the funds to have it taken off, I say go for it. Sounds mammary - they grow quickly and tend to suck all the nutrience away from the rattie. Your family and friends might have the "it's just a rat" mindset going on, even if it's not intentional.. Giving her the best possible chance at a long life isn't cruel. :cuddle:

My guess is that while your family and friends mean well, they don't understand rats. I'm going through the same thing with my parents right now. Their thought is length of life vs cost of surgery... but I think that improving quality of life is invaluable, especially when you love them the way we do :)
If you can afford it, and your vet agrees, I say go for it. They heal amazingly quickly.

Oh, I see.. you've got a good vet then. :)
Do what your heart and your mind tells you, and never mind what that family says. She's your rat.

Thanks for all the replys, you have all made me feel so much better about her having it removed.

So she was back at the vets this morning and the vet was soo nice and talked to me about the surgery and about the risks and said that he is still more than happy to remove it.

Then he had a look on his computer to see when she could come in and then he says oh there has been a cancelation tomorrow so I can bring her in tomorrow morning.

Now I am soooo scared and cant belive my little girl is going to be operated on tomorrow. I am going to be such a mess tomorrow :sad3: .

It will be over for both of you, and your little girl can be lump-free again :) 18 months is a young rat in my opinion and if you left it you might get 2 months left with her, but if you remove it it could be 6 plus...soooo worth it!

Tumor removals aren't that difficult since its all under the skin instead of in the muscle or body cavity. When you feel the tumor does it feel loose and squishy and only attached to the body a little, or is it hard and has a huge attachment? Usually armpit mammary tumors are the first and easy to remove. You and your girl will NOT regret this decision.

Btw I lost friends after my first tumor removal..."spending money on a surgery for a RAT??" They just don't know what they are missing out on, do they? :roll:

It feels soft and I cant feel that it is attached at all so must only be on with a little bit, if that makes sense.

My mum says I must be nutter because of how much it is going to cost lol glad I didnt tell her the real price.

As long as my girl is ok, I dont care how much it costs.

Petitepuppet said:
It feels soft and I cant feel that it is attached at all so must only be on with a little bit, if that makes sense.

My mum says I must be nutter because of how much it is going to cost lol glad I didnt tell her the real price.

As long as my girl is ok, I dont care how much it costs.

Great news, sounds like an easy removal. Just make sure you bring home pain meds, don't let them tell you that they gave her an injection that lasts 24 hours and she won't need anymore...she might. :/

Thanks guys :) .

I have to drop her off in the next 45mins and actually feel sick with worry already :sick2: .

When I get back I am gona post some pics of the recovery cage I have for her. I would like to know what people think about it if that would be ok?

Petitepuppet said:
Thanks guys :) .

I have to drop her off in the next 45mins and actually feel sick with worry already :sick2: .

When I get back I am gona post some pics of the recovery cage I have for her. I would like to know what people think about it if that would be ok?

of course...just remember to breathe, and to do things to take your mind off of time, and also ask when they think the surgery will take place...

:dance: :dance: :dance: My girl is home!!!!!!!!

The surgery went very well and I dont think Puffin even know anything has happened lol.

She is in her normal cage with the rest of her crew. As soon as she was put into her normal cage she went straight for her food bowl, had something to eat and she is now curled up and dosing off.

I have got some pain killers for her and also some baytril.

I have also been told by the vet that if the tumor does come back that he will not be operating on her as he feels this would be too much for her.

I would like to give a big thank to everyone who replyed to this thread and to the members I spoke to on chat this morning for all the advice I have gotten and for all the concern for my little girl :cuddle: .

I will update this thread as she heals :D .

Back