PT and making decisions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would your vet be willing to try him on steroids instead of bromo? It can be harsh on the tum at times, and he's not responding really well to it.

I could ask, I'm just not sure since he seems to be in a lot of pain usually. (The owie stretches). He's only been acting normal-ish with a higher amount of Advil that was suggested to me to keep him comfortable until he had to cross the bridge. We have an appointment to have him Pts this Thursday so I could ask about it and see if he thinks it would help.

I just helped him poop, but he was in the middle of pooping on me anyways. Safe to say I don't think he's constipated. His stool is dark but it's soft-ish.

Last edited:
It sounds very much like he has some other issue going on. A PT is not associated with pain in the abdomen. So either the meds are causing him pain, or something else like a tumour is.

Sorry I'm new here and new to the rat scene. I know what PT is. but I'm confused about why it's so common. I heard that getting your rat spayed/neutered severely decreases their chance of developing PT. Is this true? And if so, why don't more people go this route?
it kinda seems like a big mistake on evolution's part for this to occur so frequently...

Sorry I'm new here and new to the rat scene. I know what PT is. but I'm confused about why it's so common. I heard that getting your rat spayed/neutered severely decreases their chance of developing PT. Is this true? And if so, why don't more people go this route?
it kinda seems like a big mistake on evolution's part for this to occur so frequently...
A lot of pituitary tumours are stimulated by estrogen. By spaying your rats you are removing the main source (ovaries). It's great to spay your rat but people don't because 1. It's expensive, and 2. If your vet is not experienced you can easily lose your rat during or after the surgery.
It would be hard to eliminate it from the gene pool as the rat has already been reproductive for over a year, sometimes two, before they become affected.

A lot of pituitary tumours are stimulated by estrogen. By spaying your rats you are removing the main source (ovaries). It's great to spay your rat but people don't because 1. It's expensive, and 2. If your vet is not experienced you can easily lose your rat during or after the surgery.
It would be hard to eliminate it from the gene pool as the rat has already been reproductive for over a year, sometimes two, before they become affected.

Actuall Joanne, do you know if neutering helps at all with PT tumours?

I'm not sure, but I don't think it would. I don't think testosterone affects PTs.

That's almost comforting to hear since I've been kicking myself for Zephye's PT thinking there was more I could've done to prevent it. I know I can't really blame myself for a brain tumour but that's what my brain tells me to do.

That's almost comforting to hear since I've been kicking myself for Zephye's PT thinking there was more I could've done to prevent it. I know I can't really blame myself for a brain tumour but that's what my brain tells me to do.
You can't blame yourself for cancer. Unfortunately rats (and people!) will get cancer no matter what you do. Your job is to nurse them and love and care for your babies until they pass. That is what they (and we!) need the most. :)

The three I've had with PT have all been boys! What I do know is that its hereditary - Curley, their daddy had it and his two sons.

Not sure if this should go in this thread, but I figured since PTs are already being discussed it would be better not to start a whole new topic?

I just had one of my girls diagnosed with PT. I've been documenting it on GooseMoose originally. I was able to find a local pharm that has Cabergoline, which we chose over bromo due to less side effects (she's had poor health all her life to begin with), for what appears to be pretty cheap compared to what other folk have found it at. (roughly .5mg pills @ $10ea?)

But does anyone have advice on how to administer? It can't be compounded because it does not stay stable and I haven't been able to find any info on how to go about giving the dose from a pill. I would assume dissolve dose amount in water, mix with tastiness, give to rat?

EDIT: NVM I just found http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30218 . I apparently didn't see it in my first 100 google searches >.<

Last edited:
Back