Possible Aggression?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely neuter time. don't blame your boy, blame the breeders who didn't worry about aggression in his genetics (whether a feeder or a pet it doesn't matter).

Here's the tips on dealing with a hormonal male, as Jo said, never touch his rump or back as this is a spot where another male will attack him first so he will whirl to attack himself without thinking. Offer him the back of your hand first to sniff, as its much harder to get a grip on if he tries to bite.
A hormonal male will have glittering eyes, a low hunched posture, chattering teeth, will mark and rub more on things, possibly have damp flanks from scratching and activating the scent glads to mark their territory. Never let them crawl over your hand, arm, leg or foot. If they get nasty do NOT push them away as it makes them much much worse, just remove yourself from the situation and let him settle down. If you need to pick him up and you're frightened of being bitten use a towel over him. I'll post pics of hormonal rats for you in a moment.

neutering can be wondrous...remove those horrible overwhelming rages and your sweet boy will slowly come back :) I always neuter with a really hormonal male as they aren't happy rats like this either.

IF you do get bitten, here's my tips. Slashy bites hurt but usually aren't as deep, these are more fear related. Chomps are much deeper more painful, and sometimes a hormonal male will hang on...blow hard up their nose and they should let go. Grab kleenex or paper towel to stop the blood from dripping everywhere. I usually then put a tourniquet on with a rubber band if possible. Then I take ibuprofen ASAP as this will help with pain, swelling and will quicken your healing a lot. Once the crazy bleeding has stopped I clean and bandage it properly. If you want to wash it out while its bleeding go ahead.

Pics of hormonal males to help you SEE when he starts getting out of hand.

Silly Oscar.

jan28Oscar2.jpg~original

Nate pre-neuter

dec28Nate.jpg

dec28Nate3.jpg

Post neuter, sweet, gentle and loving his girls and boys group

Feb214Natehappyagain.jpg

Feb514SullyMaisieNateandPip.jpg
I also noticed from your pictures that pre-neuter rats tend to be constantly puffy. Perhaps it was the presence of the camera that made them puffy, but they definitely look all fuzzed up.

And for whatever reason, if anyone decides not to neuter (money, vets not being nearby or experienced enough), it should get better with time. My rat who picked up the nickname Grumpy used to be slightly hormonal. He got his name because of his teenage phase, but he did bite me on occasion. He has now calmed down enough that this rat will let me hold him with zero issue and actually give constant kisses. Vistors can hold him. He will give them kisses (and the smile I see on people's face when my Grumpy licks their fingers...) As for a rat that is constantly biting and constantly being upset, it's time to go to the vet and get a snip snip.
As for it being unnatural or painful for the animal, the pros outweigh the cons. Reward outweighs the risk (so long as your vet is experienced). You and the animal will be so much happier.

Isn't puffy fur also a sign of illness?
I don't see my rats get puffy too often, obviously :p
I've seen videos of male rats being introduced to each other and one getting all puffy and standing up tall. At least in that instance, it was definitely an intimidation tactic.

I've seen mine puffy from being sick, and from being pissed off. Taco, my goofy, cuddly boy, will puff up at me and wiggle his tail. Then pounce on my hand, and stomp his front feet. He wants me to wrestle with him when he does this. He stands on his back feet reaching out to me. If I don't engage, he turns his head sideways, and starts bouncing at me. It's so funny. They puff up to try to look bigger to their opponent, or puff when they are sick.

Back