Picky eaters?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigeon&Cliff

I recently got two girls, Pigeon and Cliff. They're from a pet store, probably supposed to be feeder rats. I don't think they had ever eaten anything but lab blocks. So anyways, they liked spinach and raspberries. I made the mistake of giving them a little cheese and bread, not exactly healthy, and now their standards have been raised. Any way to make them want to eat treats that are fresh food again?

They owe you their life.:) How old are they? It would be great if you can share some pics of them.

Welcome to Rat Shack!

I recently got two girls, Pigeon and Cliff. They're from a pet store, probably supposed to be feeder rats. I don't think they had ever eaten anything but lab blocks. So anyways, they liked spinach and raspberries. I made the mistake of giving them a little cheese and bread, not exactly healthy, and now their standards have been raised. Any way to make them want to eat treats that are fresh food again?
I would mix it up. My girls like some things for a while and then don’t like it anymore. For example, they used to love greens, but now they’re into scrambled eggs, grapes, and broccoli. I think spinach can be a problem for rats, though. It has some mineral that I think is bad for them.

So I give my rats pellets, oats, rice krispies, cheerios and pasta bows for their food mix and then they get fresh fruits and veggies every morning.

I've notices they'll eat the good stuff out of their food first but as long as I don't refill it, they'll eat the pellets too.

I hope that helps!

Back