Phlox had a rough night, and Poppy's Surgery Today

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Phlox, Poppy and Alyssum are my remaining Moncton girls, and are called the Moncton Monsters. The other 5 have died from PT, infection/tumor behind the eye at 7 mo, URI like Phlox for Lily and their mom Hazel. Taking this into consideration, I left Poppy's tumour to grow, sure that it wouldn't affect her before she passed. Stubborn monster's mammary tumour is HUGE now, but she has good weight, good health, and a real zest for life. I have to figure out a way to get that thing off of her and soon!
I have emailed my vet asking if he would do the surgery soon, I would pay a partial payment and pay the balance on Nov. 19th. :sad3: Now I wait to see. If they won't go for it then she will have to wait until Nov. 19th.
Poor happy Poppy..it';s barely slowed her down. :shock:
Poppystumor2nov2.jpg

Poppystumor3nov2.jpg

Poppystumornov2.jpg

Phlox has had a URI, but we've been treating it and it was responding nicely..until last night. I pulled her out of her cage in a full blown respiratory attack. :(
Gasping, and panicked running, it was dreadful, and went on for hours and hours. I slept on the couch to be with her. I had her sisters out with her for awhile but they were bothering her with their concern...I gave her sub-q dex and gentocin in fluids, 2 puffs of albuterol and could only watch after that...
AlyssumsickPhloxandPoppynov1.jpg

Phloxgaspingnov1.jpg

Phlox2gaspingnov1.jpg

and a video to show you what she endured :cry3:

This morning she was doing much better, but its still touch and go...she was eating and drinking though, and not gasping.
Phlox2nov2.jpg

Phloxnov2.jpg

She and her sisters are out on the couch/rat table today...(Phlox, Alyssum and Poppy)
Phloxandhersistersnov2.jpg

Poor sweeties! I decided not to watch Phlox's video, because it would bring back memories too vividly. I am glad that she is breathing OK this morning.

that's quite the tumour that Poppy is hauling around. :shock: Hope that Dr. M can remove it soon. It sounds like an expensive surgery, though. Or could it be straightforward despite the size of the tumour?

Awww Shelagh. I'm so sorry to hear about Phlox. It's such a dreadful feeling watching helplessly while they are gasping. (((hugs))) I'm glad she's doing a bit better this morning. Hopefully you managed to get some sleep. Positive energy going out to you and the girlies...

dl
:heart:

Godmother said:
Poor sweeties! I decided not to watch Phlox's video, because it would bring back memories too vividly. I am glad that she is breathing OK this morning.

that's quite the tumour that Poppy is hauling around. :shock: Hope that Dr. M can remove it soon. It sounds like an expensive surgery, though. Or could it be straightforward despite the size of the tumour?

It shouldn't be too expensive (under $400) but it looks/feels straightforward.

The video broke my heart, that poor baby.. and her sisters tumor! What sad outcomes for their family; not a single one died naturally? :/

Pea developed PT and was gone in a week
3 days later Calla developed PT and stayed around for 8 weeks
Then Laurel at 7 months was pts due to horrific swelling under her eye.

then Lily died of severe COPD/respiratory at 17 months
Then their mom Hazel showed sudden symptoms and only lived a couple of days (she seemed to be responding as well)
and now we have Poppy with her tumour, and Alyssum who is just fat, and Phlox with her issues...sigh.

Yeah sadly sometimes the timing doesn't always work until the tumour is big :/

BUT Poppy is booked for her removal tomorrow, but I was cautioned they may not be able to do this in the future, which I totally understand. :thumbup:

Glad the gasping has stopped and good luck with surgery tomorrow. If you can grab it, removal should be straight forward.
Will be thinking of you and Poppy tomorrow. :hugs:

I've seen bigger tumours before. I had the same thing happen to my Vincent. I was sure he wouldn't out live the growth of the tumour, him being 37 months old and all but nope... he did so I had the tumour removed.

Good luck little one!!

Back