Penis Problems

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshuga03

My little man is on his way to being 40 months this week and I've been having to keep him clear of penis plugs for about 6 months now with him having HED and all. Today when I went to clean him up, I pressed to "pop" his penis out and he GENTLY put his mouth around my finger letting me know he was not happy with that at all. I sweet talked him a little and tried again, and again he threatened with a little more teeth. I can't get his winkie to make an appearance so I can clean it...almost feels like it's stuck inside the sheath?? And is a little swollen around the penis almost like a thin donut ring. Is this common?...what is it?...and what do I need to do to keep him clean and possibly decrease his discomfort if he's in pain from me having to pop it out every day and use a babywipe to get the gunkies off?

pshuga03 said:
My little man is on his way to being 40 months this week and I've been having to keep him clear of penis plugs for about 6 months now with him having HED and all. Today when I went to clean him up, I pressed to "pop" his penis out and he GENTLY put his mouth around my finger letting me know he was not happy with that at all. I sweet talked him a little and tried again, and again he threatened with a little more teeth. I can't get his winkie to make an appearance so I can clean it...almost feels like it's stuck inside the sheath?? And is a little swollen around the penis almost like a thin donut ring. Is this common?...what is it?...and what do I need to do to keep him clean and possibly decrease his discomfort if he's in pain from me having to pop it out every day and use a babywipe to get the gunkies off?

A little vaseline maybe? Some ibu to take away any swelling or discomfort?

When I was dealing with paraphimosis, I found the water-based lubricant (KY jelly) much better than the petroleum-based (Vaseline).
How about dosing him with some NSAIDs (Metacam, Ibuprofen) and waiting at least an hour before trying him again. He may be having a problem if it's sore and a bit swollen so it is important to address it.
I wonder about soaking him in a warm salt water bath to see if that would help reduce swelling and loosen things up.
I think if it were a problem with you cleaning it every day he would have objected much sooner (since it has been 6 months.)

I would not be using a baby wipe to clean there with, they tend to contain alcohol for fast drying and can dry out skin, use a warm wet(just water) soft cloth if you can't get it free just by hand/tissue. And ditto on the lubricant. Poor old boys.

My skin is super sensitive as well, so the wipes are alcohol and fragrance free. I tried the ole ky trick with some ibuprofen beforehand and he is doing muuuuch better with letting me clean it. He does get a little plug at the tip, he gets a donut ring just below the tip and I wouldn't dare think of using my fingers to get it off, so I roll up the rip of the baby wipe and dampen it with warm water and try to roll the ring off that way. I just didn't want people to think that I violently scrubbed his lil winkie with that wipe every time hehe
He's my little trooper and sitting here now eating some honeydew melon. He sends his lovin's and thank you's to the rat shack <3

I have noticed that with a few of mine, the penis no longer pops out, almost like it gets "lost" inside. In these cases, I don't do much except keep the area clean. I've never had a rat seem in pain or having discomfort due to this.

Just did our morning check for plugs and he was good to go with me messing with him, no signs of pain or discomfort, and no plug...*boggles* He usually has one every morning and every night that needs taken care of. Odd, but good.

Back