Patrick neuter abscess - vet update :( (pg.5)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sucks doesnt it :( this 'little' lump was there 3 days after his surgery, stayed tiny like a pea, and now.. what, a month and a half later?.. its this huge balloon. im kind of glad that it came up after i had the chance to get rid of the first one, but its massive, atleast twice the size of the first one, and my poor boy gets so fed up of me making him 'sit up' on my knee so i can look :(

i found some banana Complan in the chemist last week and haven't opened the box yet (first time i'd seen it, normally i just get strawberry) so i think i will open it tonight and give him a treat

If you could get him on some type of med like Clavamox, or the Convenia shot or even Baytril, it might help a lot in fighting the abscess. Good luck!!

Don't give him any antibiotics you don't have a full course of. Causes more harm than good.
He's seeing the vet tomorrow? Great. Sending kisses to Patrick if you would pass them on between your own.

I gave him Baytril last night, and this morning, and i will get more from the vets when i go see them. We are setting off for the vets now, so i will post when i get back

ETA: He is having trouble urinating. He just tried to 'go' before i picked him out of the cage like he normally does and he did the whole bum wiggle, tail stiffening thing, and sat there for ages looking uncomfortable and only managed a drop.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!

Back from the vet.
Patrick is on Baytril two times a day, the vet didn't say for how long, i have to go back in 7 days time. They are hoping its just another infection/abscess, but he said that he could be herniating. He said that Patricks bladder wasn't completely full, and i have to keep a very close eye on him and check to make sure that he is urinating ok - because if his bladder gets full and enlarged then it will cause horrible problems. He said that the lump feels 'full' just like i thought it did the other day. If anything gets worse - i.e the lump gets bigger, doesn't get smaller, doesn't scab, he has trouble urinating still and if he just starts not looking well (he has been quiet the last few days) over the next few days then i have to rush him back asap and they will perform emergency surgery to find out what exactly it is and try and fix it.

fingers crossed it scabs :(

Thanks guys :(

I am having the hardest time of my life getting into Patricks meds LOL! Normally the vet puts it in a screw-cap bottle, but the vet put it in a pill-tub yesterday with a child lock lid HAHA! and i can not get into it :shock: my brother opened it for me last night and he even asked "whats in it? (reads label)...i cant open it with my teeth then.." i suggested he didn't.
So, if i ever get into this damn bottle (i have lined up the two arrows but it isn't having any of it), is there anyway that i can 'sterilise' the screw-cap bottle i have left over from the last lot of Baytril and put it in there?

it must have burst while he was in his cage. I checked on him a few hours ago and thought i could see a scab, but it was on the hairline where they shaved him so it was hard to tell - black fur, black scab - and i go to pull him out half hour ago to do a saline soak and compress and theres a hole and it is pretty much empty. He is on baytril for approx. 10 days, and will be getting soaks twice a day for the whole time.

I boiled the other container for the baytril, and my mum got the lid off the pill box (with great difficulty ><) so i can get to the meds easier :)

I sooooo hate it when they give pill bottles that are impossible to open! Of course, that statement works for MY meds as well as animals'! They should make those types of containers illegal - nobody but someone with the Jaws of Life could get a bottle like that open...

He still has a bit of a lump/bump and it keeps scabbing over. im having a hard time keeping it open and he is super stressed when i mess with it. he is still on Baytril twice a day and has his update vet appointment in approx. 45minutes. I think the vet will be as relieved as i was.
He is on edge every time i go to get him out of the cage because he thinks i am going to soak him every time. I think the saline hurts him a lot.

I hope it clears up and he is better by the time the babies come home in a few weeks

HAHA sorry guys :D
He is kind of ok. The original 2nd abscess deflated and just scabbed. i have continued medication and soaks, but i think it is filling up again. there is a tiny lump, but im not sure if it is just scar tissue, so i am keeping an eye on him. he was helping me unpack some stuff yesterday though and was having a whale of a time running all over the floor and exploring in boxes and amongst my belongings. Back to his normal old self - he even puffed up and 'sumo walked' when he discovered the blanket i put down when Sid comes out :roll:

im hoping that he just doesn't like Sid and/or 'full' males and that he doesnt just hate every other rat on the planet so that he can live with the girls when we get them in two or three weeks

The tough guy act might be just that, an act until he meets them face to face and realizes they should be buddies. I'm thinking the girls should work fine for him, but still be cautious with intros.

I will have to have a very calm day before i start it all though so that im not freaking everyone out by being on edge. Should be quite exciting :)
Im also going to be choosing the rats carefully, watching their temperament, and chosing them on personality and temperament instead of the colours or anything like that. I dont think a shy rat would be a good idea. Sid is very shy and would never stick up for himself, and that ended in disaster. I think i need like an 'inbetween' kind of rat lol

Back