Patrick neuter abscess - vet update :( (pg.5)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryelle

GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally have cash...

Patrick and Sid are going to the vets tomorrow. Tomorrow was a hard day to chose, i really wanted to put it off... is that a normal thing to do?
Patrick is going for his pre-op assessment for his neuter, and Sid is going to get his skin checked (and also his chest..).
So tomorrow is the time i ask my questions.. i think i am so nervous already i may just make a random noise instead of talk.

Check list:
anaesthetic + pre-anaesthetic
pain med + when (do i need to ask what?)
suturing
during and aftercare (while at the vets)
make sure they dont say he has to fast
if he will be getting any meds to come home with
how long they will be keeping him for - if its over night
how they determine when he can come home

I think i may forget everything as soon as i walk in the door.. and this is only an examination!!
God help me when i have to take him in.
She said that they had loads of appointments (i could have even taken him in today - the weather is poop and i dont want to get wet HAHA), so i don't think it will be long after that he will be going in for surgery.

Calm down Mommy........they are going to sense your worry. (I totally understand) I hope everything goes well for your babies! Best wishes! :hugs:

It's always nerve wracking when you bring in your babies.
Write down your questions in case you forget them.
And remember, a lot of us are like that too, very nervous when bringing in a rat.

He is booked in for Monday (the 22nd). I have to drop him off between 8:30 and 9am - which is perfect because i have to start a course on Monday at 9am in the next town lol. Will have to do a fly-by-drop-off.
The vet was amazing!!! She said she LOVES rats and you could tell. She had a lot of medical knowledge about them. She even made Patrick Bruxx, and he never bruxxes. She held him to her chest the whole time and he didnt even squirm. Just sat there getting cuddled. Im going to write her name down and try always see her.
She explained the procedure to me. Said that they sometimes use an anaesthetic before gas, so that it can be reversed fast incase there is complications, but other times they just use gas - it depends on the animal itself. She said it normally takes only about 5-10 minutes to do. She corrected the nurse very quickly when the nurse started to explain about fasting and told her that rats do NOT need to fast. She said that the incision is only very small, and they close with a stitch (not sure if she meant single stitch or not).
She also said that i should consider getting him a female friend, instead of male, because they are more active and will help him to lose a bit of weight and keep fit.

I just realised i forgot to ask about pain meds. I will call tomorrow and ask.

I was generally impressed with the woman. While i've been at the vets before i have seen people with rats that were going in to have lumps removed, so i know that they have the experience.

Im a little excited about the whole thing, but i know i wont sleep sunday night and ill be pacing all day monday, but you can call up and ask how things are going any time you like. I will have to get some money on my phone lol

Wow, she sounds like a great vet for your rats! This is wonderful for Patrick and I agree, a female to keep him busy might just be the thing for him. :cheeky:

I forgot to mention, the vet checked the pea-sized lump on Patricks side and said its nothing to worry about as of yet and they wont perform surgery on it. But, ofc, if it starts to grow or anything then i have to let them know

Patrick is going in tomorrow :shock: :panic:

I have spent all day scrubbing down the rat cages and swapping the rats over. Sid is going to be in the large cage for a few days and Patrick will be in the hospital cage so i can keep an eye on him. I bought him a new fleece blanket, and have decided to take him in the bigger cat/parrot carrier instead of the smaller rat boxes. I have put his favourite tube hammock in the cat box so he has something recognisable when he is waking up.

I am packing some rat blocks in a sealable bag with Sids food bowl - Patricks is ceramic and massive lol. I am NOT going to sleep tonight. I didn't sleep last night. I laid there awake for hours with everything racing through my head. I have taken lots of photo's of him today and last night when he was running around my bedroom floor and given him LOTS of cuddles today

Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am so stressed about it all lol. ALL my friends know he is going in tomorrow, and are trying to keep me occupied so i dont freak out haha!!

It sounds silly doesnt it. This is my first rat surgery!!

*Fingers crossed* he will be ok and will come home to me tomorrow :)
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Try not to worry too much! Make sure you look after yourself too so you can sleep tonight :p Don't want the boys feeling bad vibes, right?

HE ISSSS HHHOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance:

I had to go on a course today, and as soon as they said we could go home, i ran outside and rang the vets to see how he was. Today has been awful lol. I was shaking like a leaf when i handed his carry box over to the nurse this morning.

His incision looks very neat. I have only looked when the nurse showed me when i went to collect him. He was still groggy and is very skittish. He does not want to know me at the minute lol. I dont blame him.

He is rather swollen down below at the minute. How long should i expect this to last?

I wasn't given any pain meds to bring home and he isnt showing any signs of pain yet. If he does show pain would it be ok to give him some infant ibuprofen? Its the only thing i have at hand.

Im going to be keeping such a close eye on him. He has a check up on Thursday to make sure he is ok. They told me any sign of swelling, infection, or him not acting like himself, i am to ring up and they will get him in asap.

I will take a pic either tonight or tomorrow (probably tomorrow). He is super stressed at the minute so i have put him in his cage in a very quiet room with some baby food to try suck up to him. He ate a tiny bit when he got home, and i hope he sleeps now and wakes up better.

AH!!! I have missed my little guy SO BAD today :heart:

So far i have only seen him eat a bit. There was poop in his carry box but i dont know what time they did the surgery so they could have been there before. Im yet to see him drink.

He looks a little bit more awake now :) He gave me licks ^^

They may have given an injection of metacam which lasts 24 hours. If you are unsure, call and ask.

If he did recieve metacam do NOT give any other kind of NSAID pain medication (like ibuprofen) for 24 hours.

As for the swelling, it often takes a few days to begin to go down. And then it can take up to a few weeks for them to really start shrinking up. The first neuter my vet did for me, she had to really reassure me that they were indeed gone... as the goolies looked bigger than before. LOL

Glad to hear Patrick is home and doing well!! :) Yay.

Back