Oxbow Found in Canada! (expensive though)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found your posts really interesting, I had a friend who told me Oxbow Regal Rat is the best thing for them (that is the food you're all talking about right?) I know most of you are from Ontario, but I found a 3lbs bag for only $13.00 at Global Pet Foods, You should check that store if they exist out there. :mouse2ud2:

hey thanks Petunia LOVES cherries! Yeah there is another place in Fredericton called "The Barking Lot" that sells Oxbow for $21.00

"Barking Lot" in Fredericton has now found a new supplier and charging the same price as Global for Oxbow ($13.00). Barking Lot is an independent health food store for pets. :thumbup:

Ya I think I might be able to get harlan from The canadian pet connection. Buuut I'm afraid to order the 40lbs and find out that the girls dont like it. I now have 3 babies and an older girlie whos gonna be 2 in August. Do you guys think that there will be a dramatic change in there appearance? Because I do admit that my older girl is fat and her fur doesnt look the best IMO. Thats why I wanna switch to Harlan or Oxbow.

When I started giving my girls oxbow, I was amazed at how beautiful their coats became. Prior to that they had been eating mazuri, I think.

Most rats will lose weight, especially initially if they don't like it, hehehe. But, if you don't give in and you limit their other treats they WILL eat their oxbow.

On the flip side, some rats actually get too fat on Harlan as it's a little too tasty ;)

My girls do like their oxbow, but they LOVE harlan. They get mostly oxbow, though, so they don't get too tubby.

Ok Moon!! Thanks for the advice and whatnot! I think I'm gonna order oxbow and see what happens! Thanks a bunch...and how long do you think it will take to see a difference in there appearance? Couple months maybe...maybe not that long?

Probably not that long. Rat metabolisms are really fast so they gain and lose weight quickly. As for their coat, I think I noticed the change in my girls after about 3 weeks.

I don't know if this was mentioned previously in the thread (and I'm too sleepy to go back to look) but if you're getting a big bag you may want to freeze some of the food to keep it fresh since you are only feeding 4 and they wont go through it too fast.

You said you have 3 babies, and depending on how young they are you may want to give them a small but daily treat with higher protein as a supplement to make up for the low of 14% in oxbow. But only if they're still growing. Then again, some people don't feel it completely necessary to do that in young ones, and find 14% to be just fine.

I Just bought more oxbow and my rats seem to love it. I had bought it for them off and on over the last year but had found it hard to get the last few months........I know have a good supply of oxbow and hamster blocks right now....should hold me over for a while.

I noticed a change in Roses coat, (which was really greasy and gross) in less than a week! but that might be because it was so bad before.

Back