Oxbow Found in Canada! (expensive though)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

So I found this website:

http://www.corico.ca/oxbow.html

They sell Oxbow but it is very expensive. It's $100 plus about 20$ shipping so if you got the 40lb box then your paying about $3/lb :( I find that very expensive considering I pay $20 for 33lb's of Harlan. I REALLLLLY wish I could feed oxbow because it is sooo much better than Harlan IMO but Harlan isnt bad mind you. Just wanted to let you guys know!

Oxbow is really expensive, but you get what you pay for. I buy Oxbow for my rats and 3$ per pound isn't too bad.

I'm glad you found this. This is a better price then what I found for the american sites. even though it's cheaper on the the american sites 114 we'd still have to pay probably 40 just for the duty and what ever. ...frig money is a pain in the butt

Ratlover101 said:
Do they do well on it?

There are some rats who take a while to get used to eating Oxbow but if you can get your rats to eat it then I know its highly recommended as being the best rat diet on the market. I feed my crew Oxbow and they all stay slim and healthy...plus they don't over-eat which is better for them and it saves me money.

bruxxy said:
Ratlover101 said:
Do they do well on it?

There are some rats who take a while to get used to eating Oxbow but if you can get your rats to eat it then I know its highly recommended as being the best rat diet on the market. I feed my crew Oxbow and they all stay slim and healthy...plus they don't over-eat which is better for them and it saves me money.

Why do you choose Oxbow over Harlan?

Ratlover101 said:
bruxxy said:
Ratlover101 said:
Do they do well on it?

Why do you choose Oxbow over Harlan?

I had my rats on Harlan for a while but it's so hard to get. I can get a bag of Oxbow down the street from me so I would prefer to have easy access to it as oppose to waiting for everyone to get together and do a Harlan run.

Also the ingredients are what I love most about Oxbow. It was created by professionals with experience in zoo and wildlife nutrition and laboratory animal science. It has 100% of a rats daily essential nutrients and the ingredients are high quality (the first ingredient is whole brown rice instead of the more common corn which isn't as healthy). I also like that its low in fat. Studies have shown rats fed on a low fat diet live longer, healthier lives. Everyone I know of who feeds their rats Oxbow rave about it.

The only issue I had with Oxbow at first was some of my rats weren't eating it because they didn't like the taste, and a few were loosing weight so I had to supplement with baby food for a few weeks to keep their weight from dropping too much. Thats changed though and everyone is doing really good on it now. I also free feed so everyone can have access to however much they want.

I also feed Oxbow. Some people see a scary weight drop in their rats when they first start on it, but you have to remember that they will NOT let themselves starve! If you give in too quickly they'll just put off eating the healthy stuff, LOL

My girls currently get Harlan AND Oxbow, but I have fed just oxbow in the past and they did amazingly on it.

With how hard it is to find Harlan, even though it is so cheap, Oxbow is a very viable option. And if you don't necessarily need a whole bag, chances are good another rat owner in your area would be happy to split one with you.

PiedPiper said:
Where are you located, Ratlover101? There is a distributor in Oakville, Ontario. http://www.canadianpetconnection.com I pick my Oxbow up directly from there. It's about $82.00 for 40 lb bag, and you save on shipping if you can pick it up yourself. However, they will ship anywhere in Canada.

Yes I have seen that site before. I live in Hamilton. I dont know how much shipping would be or if my Mom would be willing to drive that far. I dont know how far it actually is though lol. I think its about an hours drive maybe.

moon said:
I also feed Oxbow. Some people see a scary weight drop in their rats when they first start on it, but you have to remember that they will NOT let themselves starve! If you give in too quickly they'll just put off eating the healthy stuff, LOL

My girls currently get Harlan AND Oxbow, but I have fed just oxbow in the past and they did amazingly on it.

With how hard it is to find Harlan, even though it is so cheap, Oxbow is a very viable option. And if you don't necessarily need a whole bag, chances are good another rat owner in your area would be happy to split one with you.

I have heard of a few people feeding both Harlan and Oxbow before. I know that Jo feeds 2blocks/rat each day and free fed oxbow (am I right?). Why do you feed both Harlan and Oxbow? For variety maybe? I do have easy access now to Harlan through a few people but I would probably have to order Oxbow online if I fed that too. I would love to feed Oxbow but its just so expensive! I am willing to pay the price for it possibly though.

Ratlover101 said:
I have heard of a few people feeding both Harlan and Oxbow before. I know that Jo feeds 2blocks/rat each day and free fed oxbow (am I right?). Why do you feed both Harlan and Oxbow? For variety maybe? I do have easy access now to Harlan through a few people but I would probably have to order Oxbow online if I fed that too. I would love to feed Oxbow but its just so expensive! I am willing to pay the price for it possibly though.
I do that too. I feed both varieties because I felt it was important to free feed something so the boys could still practice the hoarding and stashing behaviors that they're supposed to... but couldn't do it with Harlan, which they LOVE and would gorge themselves on and get too portly. :giggle: Hence the Oxbow, which even though is also an excellent food - it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as tasty as the Harlan. So I do what Jo does.

Depending on where you live in Hamilton, maybe Canadian Pet Connection isn't really that far? You should discuss it with your Mum and see how she feels about driving there. If you don't have that many rats a 40 lb bag will last you a good long time (freeze what you're not using) so you won't have to buy it all that often or make that many trips. I have seven rats and split a bag with someone else last May and I still have quite a bit left in my freezer.

PiedPiper said:
Ratlover101 said:
I do that too. I feed both varieties because I felt it was important to free feed something so the boys could still practice the hoarding and stashing behaviors that they're supposed to... but couldn't do it with Harlan, which they LOVE and would gorge themselves on and get too portly. :giggle: Hence the Oxbow, which even though is also an excellent food - it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as tasty as the Harlan. So I do what Jo does.

Depending on where you live in Hamilton, maybe Canadian Pet Connection isn't really that far? You should discuss it with your Mum and see how she feels about driving there. If you don't have that many rats a 40 lb bag will last you a good long time (freeze what you're not using) so you won't have to buy it all that often or make that many trips. I have seven rats and split a bag with someone else last May and I still have quite a bit left in my freezer.

Thank you! I now have 4 rats. 3 babies and one thats about a year and half old. Soo 40lbs would last me about 10months. Maybe a little less cause babies eat a lot. I could also buy a 10lb bag of harlan instead of the 33lb bag. Becasue if I got both, I would feed them 1 or 2 blocks of harlan/day and then tons of Oxbow so the Harlan would last a longer time. Hmmm I'm lovin these ideas!

EDIT: So the total would be about 50lbs of food so that would last me about 1 year. For 50lbs it would be about 110$ which sounds a lot but I'de only be paying about 10bucks/ month for food which doesnt sound like a lot!

EDIT#2: (LOL) I FOUND OUT THAT CANADIAN PET CONNECTION IS ONLY ABOUT 30MIN AWAY FROM MY HOUSE!!!! I'm happy now!! Now I have one more question. So if you buy a small 3lb bag I would be paying about 4.5$/lb and the 40lb bag im paying about 2.5$/lb so obviously I would buy the 40lb. So what if I bought it, and then found out that my rats dont like it! As i said I would MAYBE be giving them harlan along with it but I dont want it to go to waist. I would buy a small 3lb bag to start and see what they think but then we would have to drive aaall the way out there again in only about 2 weeks. So what do you think I should do guys? THANKS :heart: :cuddle:

I sure wish that the Ontario distributor would mail to Atlantic Canada, but they won't. Corico is the distributor for Quebec and east, and their Oxbow is more expensive. I buy Oxbow in the small bags, so that I can always have a bit of it in their dishes. They won't eat it unless they are really hungry.

Ratlover101 said:
EDIT#2: (LOL) I FOUND OUT THAT CANADIAN PET CONNECTION IS ONLY ABOUT 30MIN AWAY FROM MY HOUSE!!!! I'm happy now!! Now I have one more question. So if you buy a small 3lb bag I would be paying about 4.5$/lb and the 40lb bag im paying about 2.5$/lb so obviously I would buy the 40lb. So what if I bought it, and then found out that my rats dont like it! As i said I would MAYBE be giving them harlan along with it but I dont want it to go to waist. I would buy a small 3lb bag to start and see what they think but then we would have to drive aaall the way out there again in only about 2 weeks. So what do you think I should do guys? THANKS :heart: :cuddle:
:laugh4: See? I told ya! That's great! The Oxbow hasn't been met with a lot of enthusiasm by my boys. They will only eat it as a last resort, but they DO eat, just not with the same gusto they go at the Harlan with ... mostly it just gets trampled and peed on. But it's there if they want it. I split a 40 lb bag with someone else. Any chance you could do that with someone else who lives in your area?

I work at Pet Valu, and my boss told me that Pet Valu works with Oxbow, its still considered an outside purchase but they can order it if someone wants it. So I think that any Pet Valu will do it. Getting my Oxbow in next week ^.^

Back