Ottawa, ON Vet ~ Liston Animal Hospital

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmmiley

Dr. Steve Liston & Dr. Ann McKenna

Two of our rats were seen by Dr. Steve Liston today. They started with a few funny noises so we had their breathing checked.

He's a very nice man. Took the time to answer all our questions. Only charged us for one rat, not both since they were both in for the same thing. Said that his wife is in research (with rats). I mention this because I think this may help give him some more understanding. ?

$30 for the check-up. (Only charged for one since both had same issue.) :D

Was okay with us already having doxy at home. Told us it would be around $36 to purchase doxy from him.

Also asked him about PTS fees: $22 if we bury them ourselves. $30 if we leave the rat with him.

4055 Carling Avenue
Kanata, ON K2K 2A4
(613) 591-0966

http://www.listonanimalhospital.ca/

Business Hours:

Monday 8am - 6pm
Tuesday 8am - 8pm
Wednesday 8am - 8pm
Thursday 8am - 6pm
Friday 8am - 6pm
Saturday 9am - 2pm
Sunday Closed

Thanks for this

I was looking for a specific vet name to call on for my ratty Freya. Do you know how much he charges if I bring her in and Nibbler at the same time for a regular checkup? (Freya has a lump to be looked at, Nibbler just needs a checkup)

I assume it would still be $30 for Nibbler.

Our current vet is http://www.carlinganimalhospital.com - they seem a little pricey and I wasn't impressed with my first visit when we had to put Nein down ($110 and they gave us no suggestions on meds or what her problem may have been caused by)

Liston sounds better from what you're saying here - they're a little further away, but worth the drive you think? (30 minutes) =)

Hi Roo: No problem. I got Dr. Liston's name from lilangel. :D

I'm all new to this as well. I've read many comments on here about vets, but I'm not totally sure how to confirm a vets "qualifications", etc... I just know that as a person, I liked him, my husband liked him, and our son liked him. :D

He was gentle and patient with our girls. My issue was their breathing. And, really, it wasn't "present" so much when we brought them in, but he gave a good listen to both girls. He had good "bedside manner", and spoke to us about other antibiotic options if we found these ones weren't helping.

He wasn't concerned that I had doxy from someone else, and for me, I appreciated that because I didn't feel like he was just trying to get my money and push his meds on me; although, $36 for a prescription seemed fair. Some might think he should be more concerned about where I got my doxy, but... it's all a matter of personal opinion, right? :) He did confirm my dosing with me though... so that showed me he was concerned enough to make sure I was giving them the correct amounts.

When I spoke to the receptionist to book, she said he sometimes charges individual, sometimes not... for me, he didn't. And, if you have one rat you're concerned about, the other not really, and just want him to give a quick listen, then I'd bet he would only charge for one. He seems extremely reasonable to me.

The vet out here (Crown Pointe Animal Hospital) comes well recommended, but his prices are insane if you ask me.

I think it was worth the drive. Not a bad drive either... just follow Carling all the way out. He lists an email on his website. You could send him a list of questions I suppose. Or, check him out. For the price, def. worth it. And, ask him all the questions you have when you're there.

They sound very nice and fair. I'll call them (er... I'll have boyfriend call them. I have a phone phobia :giggle: ) tomorrow. Hopefully they won't mind taking on a few more ratties. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out for me!

Now a random question - when you bring you ratties in, do you always bring a buddy with them even if they aren't getting checked up? Just for company/comfort? Or do vets usually frown on extra animals?

I love Dr. Liston for many reasons. His bedside manner is great. He is a man with a calling I think..

The other guy at Crowne Pointe is also very good. Top notch. But he's more a business man. I've confronted him about his prices being high and he stands by them. So unfortunately, that has meant that I can't always go there.

It worries me that he was okay with you just giving doxy since it isn't a strong enough ab to kill off all of the bacteria. Also I do think he should have been a bit more concerned about the doxy just to make sure it is actually doxy (i'm not saying it isn't but that's something I would want my vet to be concerned with). He sounds like a good vet but I think in future you need to go in prepared and knowing what meds you need to get.

Roo said:
They sound very nice and fair. I'll call them (er... I'll have boyfriend call them. I have a phone phobia :giggle: ) tomorrow. Hopefully they won't mind taking on a few more ratties. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out for me!

Now a random question - when you bring you ratties in, do you always bring a buddy with them even if they aren't getting checked up? Just for company/comfort? Or do vets usually frown on extra animals?

I've done both -- bring just the rat who needs the check up, and at other times I've brought along a buddy just for company. And once or twice I've brought both because they co-habitate and I thought they might both need meds, even though only one was exhibiting symptoms.

Roo said:
Freya and Nibbler have an appointment with Dr. Liston tomorrow. :thumbup:

Excellent! Be sure to let us know how it goes.

I think a buddy is okay. :) I don't know if it's "frowned upon" at other places, but I doubt Dr. Liston would mind. He laughed when he saw the name for Miss Skrat and commented on the amazing variety of pet names he sees everyday. In all his years of practice, and he still smiles, and laughs at names... he's got the heart for what he does. THAT is SOOO important!!!

smilez_n_hugs: Because both girls were only showing mild symptoms, he said the doxy might be enough. He did say to keep them on it for a month to be safe, and not just the two weeks that I mentioned. He did talk about other antibiotics and how they are sometimes given together.
He also talked about the belief that antibiotics actually boost a rat's immune system and so they should be kept on them for a daily basis when prone to getting sick. He said this is not proven though, and just one school of thought out there. (I commented how strange that was since we humans can only tolerate so much before ab actually make our immune systems weaker. Interesting.)
I told him I got the doxy from someone who had been to see him before. I also told him we were on a budget. So, imo, he was respecting that. But, I totally see where you're coming from. :D

Unfortunately as many people on the forum have experienced doxy is really only effective for the first 2 weeks anyway so keeping a rat on it for longer than that doesn't help. Also from personal experience the statement that rats don't experience antibiotic resistance worries me because I have definitely witnessed it if a strong enough ab isn't given or if it isn't given for long enough. And I have also found that if an ab is being given as maintenance for a residual resp. infection that it slowly loses its effectiveness. As for the doxy we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying he's a bad vet and I'm glad that you liked him, I just think it's good to be aware of possible faults with your vet.

I ended up bringing Badger too - which worked out great because both Nibbler and Freya were acting as though they had been "violated" and Badger would take turns trying to cheer them up afterwards.

Freya checkup: $30
Nibbler checkup: $15
Meds: $20

Prices were great and he seemed very friendly. Unlike our last vet, we were able to go in the back room while he checked up on them. He said come back if the meds don't work (I think he likes to try saving people money and only giving extra meds if the lesser ones don't work. Unless it's an emergency of course. That's the impression I got, at least)

Our last vet was $75 to walk through the door. We paid about $75 total here.

He may have some faults (I don't have enough ratty-vet experience to say) but he seems like he would be very open to suggestions =)

(he also mentioned somebody who came in the other day who owned 9 rats. Was that you? :giggle: )

Roo said:

(he also mentioned somebody who came in the other day who owned 9 rats. Was that you? :giggle: )

Yup! That was me/us! tee! hee! :)

I must admit, 9 is a little more than our comfort limit, but both groups have their advantages. (old girls/young girls) AND, they're ALL precious! :D

So glad you had a good experience. I too think he would be open to suggestions. :)

I have found him to be open to suggestions, and he seems to be learning new things all the time. He has respect for the pet owner as well as the patient's needs. And I find him to be very generous with his time and talents.

But it's true, no vet is perfect. He doesn't do spays on rats, and it's a good idea to check the dosage of meds he gives too.

I'll probably always post what meds my ratties are on and their dosages just to hear from the Shackers. Even if I just got back from the greatest rat vet in the world. :lol2:

Also asked him about PTS fees: $22 if we bury them ourselves. $30 if we leave the rat with him.

I forgot to ask him about this - is there confirmation that he does this procedure the ideal way for rats?

Roo said:

I forgot to ask him about this - is there confirmation that he does this procedure the ideal way for rats?

He does not gas first. I did ask before. But you can get him to if you wanted it would cost more is all.

And for the doxy I gave it to her when she took in my ratties :) She may have even told the Dr.Liston that i gave it to her as he knew too that i got my doxy else where as at the time he did not have any on hand when i got Baytril from him for my rescues.

He is a very nice vet and so willing to learn and listen to what we ask and say. For me i have never had any surgeries done by him yet though.
When i got Monkey neutered i went to Hull vet clinic, but i did ask before about pricing but now i forget the pricing he told me sadly.

I just went in to see Dr. Liston on Tuesday... got Baytril for Monkey and Mocha... they both have pneumonia... Mocha is worse.

He listened well. Weighed them both. He gave me enough for a month and a bit more. I will check back with him after the month is up. Pretty sure I can just go in and pick up more meds w/out a check-up. He gave them their first dose too. I thought that was nice... maybe that's normal for a vet to do?

Again, he only charged for one visit, even though I brought in two. $30. $15 for the Baytril.

yes when i brought in rats that needed meds he also did the first dose and charged me for one visit also when having two with same illness. Also to pick up more meds i only ever paid for the meds like a refill thing :D

Aw poor monkey and Mocha :hugs: :hugs: :heart:

Hope Monkey and Mocha are feeling better soon..

By The Way... I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but seems as good as any.

Emergency / after hours care here in Ottawa has always concerned me because I'm told there are only two choices -- Alta Vista Animal Hospital, and Ottawa Veterinary Hospital. So of course, I called them both for info, and neither of them have vets on staff who know rats, but both will take rats in an emergency. If your rattie must be PTS, though, you're not allowed to be with your rattie when they do so at either place. This has always bugged me.

Thankfully, Dr. Mobarak's practice recently moved to a new location, and they now offer 24/7 emergency care, as well as regular office hours on Saturday and Sunday! Dr. Mobarak treats rats regularly as part of his practice. And he uses the procedure with shots to PTS (same as Dr. Liston uses), which is humane, and you can stay with your rattie the whole time.

Note also that the other vet who shares his practice is also experienced in treating rats (I don't know anything about this other vet). If you have an emergency that's on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday when most other places are closed, you now have the option to go there and because that's their regular office hours, you don't have those huge emergency room fees.

The new location is called Bank Street Animal Hospital.
http://bankstreetanimalhospital.com/

Here's hoping you never need this info!!

**Correction*** Dr. Mobarak didn't move his practice to this location, he still has his old practice as well. He's working both places.

Back