Oscar ..Chest Tumor ..bye big boy :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shelagh - Yop, that's the miracle product!

Renee - For Mac (a little over 600 g), I was supposed to give .3 cc daily, but I don't believe I could ever convince a rat to take that much, not in one shot anyway!

I actually give 0.1 cc to all my 500g + and that small amount caused all the improvements I've seen. Why not try to boost them with .1 or .15 cc twice a day until Thursday? If it does work, you could try to lower the dosage then and adjust...

kk, I'll try that.

Shelagh: I only just put him in because I have to go out for an hour ...he has been out since 7 am ..now it's 1 ..whenever I'm here ..which is almost always unless um working, he is out ..he chills on the couch ..not sure if it would be safe to leave him on the couch while im gone? he dose not jump down or anything.

I don't understand why he wants out with me so darn bad :(

Ratty Momma said:
kk, I'll try that.

Shelagh: I only just put him in because I have to go out for an hour ...he has been out since 7 am ..now it's 1 ..whenever I'm here ..which is almost always unless um working, he is out ..he chills on the couch ..not sure if it would be safe to leave him on the couch while im gone? he dose not jump down or anything.

I don't understand why he wants out with me so darn bad :(

Leave him on the couch.

Unepuce said:
Did you give as much as recommended by HealX? I cut it by 3 and still can see all the benefits
We were following our vet's recommendation. She's the one who wanted us to try it because it had been declared a huge benefit for birds.
I'll have to go back into my notes to see what the dosage was.

I was using the booster every day a few months ago, and it did make a huge difference in my guys ..they looked so much healthier ..I don't know why I stopped ..I think it was the inconvince of having to get it ready ...but I will be using it again now with everyone.

jorats said:
Back in 2009, we were giving Avix to our rats but had to stop. The high fat caused a really bad rash on more than one of our rats. I did not like what it was doing to them.

There are two products from Avix - Booster and Sunshine Factor. I haven't had any issues with Booster causing adverse effects on any of my rats (I've given it regularly to 12 of them) and actually find it gives a really healthy skin and coat. I think Sunshine Factor is higher in fat as it's intended only for birds, could that be what you gave them?

victoria said:
jorats said:
Back in 2009, we were giving Avix to our rats but had to stop. The high fat caused a really bad rash on more than one of our rats. I did not like what it was doing to them.

There are two products from Avix - Booster and Sunshine Factor. I haven't had any issues with Booster causing adverse effects on any of my rats (I've given it regularly to 12 of them) and actually find it gives a really healthy skin and coat. I think Sunshine Factor is higher in fat as it's intended only for birds, could that be what you gave them?

It was 2008... it's the Avix Booster. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6513&hilit=Booster+Avix

That's really odd then. My guys don't like the taste but they happily lap it up if I mix it with oatmeal or something and I've never had issues.

Guys ..I think this is the end ..for both of them ..

Oscar has ate/drank very little today ..he panics every time I put him in his cage ..he is starting to panic on the couch now too ..he won't clean himself ..he is just lying there, breathing very heavy and doing eye boggles.

Toby as most of you know, had many resp issues, and for the past very months has been making horrible breathing sounds and has very laboured breathing ..he tires easily, he can't do much other that lie there ..he eye boggles as well, im sure they are not good ones either ...he can still clean etc ..but he too is losing weight ..once was 620, now 520

I have an apt booked for tomorrow at 9:20 ..just in case .. :sad3:

I know it's time for Oscar ..but what's your opnion on Toby?

That is hard - I know. :sad3:

Does Toby still enjoy things out of this life or does he keep lying down, trying to breath? If he's not having any fun or comfort anymore, I guess I would let him go with his brother. If you believe he still wants to fight, I would give the Booster a chance, keeping in mind that this is a last attempt to help him.

This is just my personal opinion though... lots of people here have had (sadly) much more experience than I have and might advise otherwise...

Video of them just a few minutes ago: the sound at the end is Tobys breathing sounds

[youtube:25f7szyi]IW8Kbbl2QO4[/youtube:25f7szyi]

This is what they do all day long.

Toby sleeps and lays down most of the day ..for outtime ..he will roam around for a few minutes, then he will lay down trying to breath ..

These rats have such a bad history ..Sister Sophie lost piles of weight ..ended up getting PT at 18 months old..Bruno had a heart attack after a neuter at 14 months old ...at 6 months old Hunter died of colon cancer ..and momma had PT

I don't know what to do, I don't want them to suffer ..I know Oscar is.

maybe I should wait a while? aybe the higher dose of baytril will work of oscar ..or maybe he will keep getting worse ..oh my I don't know

Oscar definitely...Toby (cannot see video) but it sounds like it will be time very soon, so you might as well let him go with his brother. I am so very sorry :(

Oscar keeps jumping off the couch onto me, onto the floor, then hoping around the room very fast then he stops for a few minutes and then goes again ..then he hops right up right on the couch ...(14 inches high)

This is not normal Oscar behaviour ...just as climbing the outside of the cage ..not normal for him.

I will get Dr.D's opinon on Toby tomorrow as well ..I know he is not going to get better ..but I don't know if I should let him go yet either ...

Oscar and Toby are the rats were the most closest with ..this is going to be so very hard :(

Teddy, their brother is still doing very well *fingers crossed*

Oh Renee, I'm so sorry... I would let Toby go too... it breaks my heart to write that. The moment the video started, all I could see was his abdomen - no wonder he's losing weight too, he needs so much energy just to keep breathing... Poor babies!!! This is such a bad week for you and your rats! :hugs: :hugs: and again :hugs: :sad3:

Back